Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree415Likes

Thread: U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies at 79

Silver Member

Good riddance to that fucking evil SOB. May he rot in hell.
    Brah, BITTER and Janus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Apparently he was besties with RBG, which just seems weird.
    When I first heard one of the Supremes died I first thought it was RBG, but she's too awesome to die!

Quote Originally Posted by Briar Rose View Post
    Good riddance to that fucking evil SOB. May he rot in hell.
    tell us what you really think.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Can u imagine if trump picks the next SCOTUS? We're likely to end up with judge Judy!
    sluce, BITTER, Sojiita and 2 others like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Nah, he'd appoint himself.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Sympathies to his family like most posters here have said...but he'll need to wear shorts and a tank top where he's headed.
    HWBL, sluce, Brookie and 2 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    People talk about Obama's approval rating being at like 47%, but Congress' is around 18

That's got to be lower than Kim Jong-un. Who else could have that kind of job performance rating and still keep their job? What kind of person goes to work knowing that less than 1 out of 5 people in the entire country think you are doing a good job and still has that little self-awareness to, you know, do something differently?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Can u imagine if trump picks the next SCOTUS? We're likely to end up with judge Judy!
    No, no, no! It'll be Jeanine Pirro.

If the Republican senators stonewall Obama's nominee, it will be a disaster for them. It's risky anyway considering the senators up for re-election, but in a presidential election year it would almost certainly derail the GOP nominee. And that's on TOP of this so far being a terrible nomination field already splitting the Party establishment. Right now the GOP establishment is struggling because of the top 3 contenders, one is a crazy loose wire they can't control (Trump), one is a hugely un-charismatic creeper with little chance to win the general (Cruz) and the best bet, Rubio, fumbled badly EXACTLY when he started to get a leg up.

It would be absolutely unprecedented to filibuster a SC nominee for 11 months. IIRC, the only one in history that went that long was Abe Fortas' nomination as Chief Justice, who was already a disaster (friend of LBJ's who had to resign eventually from the Court after several ethics scandals). And that filibuster was a largely bipartisan effort, because neither side liked him. Shutting down the government and stonewalling is a huge negative for voters when either side does it, and the GOP has to know that basically shutting down the Senate for a year would be fatal. It would attract nothing but negative press for months and months in an election year. And for what? There's no guarantee that even doing that would be a victory, because there's a huge chance the new president will also be a Democrat. Doing it in and of itself could cost their candidate the presidential election because it would be a huge albatross around the candidate's neck - and doing it PLUS losing the election would make them come across even worse. The public would see the senators wasted a year's time for nothing and lost. It would be disastrous for GOP senators' reelection prospects, they would have zero to show for it.

The flip side is that it would give Democrats a boost. If Obama nominates an impeccable, moderate nominee (likely) and the Senate throws a fit over it, all voters will see is their time and money being wasted. The Democrats will get to act reasonable and above it all, and the Democrats will have the perfect thing to point to in both the presidential and midterm elections. It would be exactly the type of thing to mobilize the Democrat base, sway independents and probably also sway moderate Republicans.

I'm betting right now that despite the blustering, the reality is that the Senate will quickly confirm the first moderate candidate Obama puts up, in order to put this behind them and make it a non-issue.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Justice Scalia Dead Following 30-Year Battle With Social Progress - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Justice Scalia Dead Following 30-Year Battle With Social Progress

MORE FROM ONION, INC.

Supreme Court Issues 7-1 Decision To Find Scalia's Killer
    The Onion

Who Is Bernie Sanders?
    The Onion

Supreme Court Leaves Final Decision On Gay Marriage In Capable Hands Of Texa…
    The Onion

Supreme Court Releases Young Scalia’s Audition Tape
    The Onion
    Brookie, Brah, MontanaMama and 7 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I am very grateful for Crawford, but other than that, not feeling too bad about this. And I had lunch with the man in law school, so I did get an opportunity to meet with him personally. Still not grieving.
    sluce and Brah like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Some people (including Maddow, I think) think the nominee might be Jeh Johnson, African American head of DHS, a moderate, and already vetted by Congress. Also a former attorney. Now that is a pretty good background/

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Who is going to tell Clarence Thomas what to think now?
    Well I was hoping Thomas would do what he normally did and just follow Scalia's lead, but apparently not-there is still only one vacancy.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Well it's only been 24 hours. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Rubio and Cruz are both on Meet the Press this morning talking about why they must stop Obama from picking the new SCJ. Such morons. Kasich is on now and saying he thinks it is best that Obama let us have an election so the people have a say. So funny how they forget that we did have an election, and Obama won 51-47.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

It's not like he has 11 days left in office…it's 11 months. This is his job. Let him do his job for fuck's sake. I am so sick of the stonewalling. I'm also sick of the Constitution being used when it is convenient. It was so completely disrespectful and in poor taste for McConnell to come out and say they were going to block the nomination before the body was even cold.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information