Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Tom Jones Is Having a DNA Test to See if His Ancestors are Black

Vegas, the late 60's, my mom could have seen either Elvis or Tom and she chose Tom due to wild popularity She wished she had decided on Elvis. She said it was a great show with panties and hotel keys thrown onto the stage, but she wished she had the memory of Elvis live in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Vegas, the late 60's, my mom could have seen either Elvis or Tom and she chose Tom due to wild popularity She wished she had decided on Elvis. She said it was a great show with panties and hotel keys thrown onto the stage, but she wished she had the memory of Elvis live in concert.
    I hate that she regretted it, Chalet. My grandmother went to an Elvis concert, and on the way back from the bathroom, walking down the aisle back to her seat, he looked and sang straight at her. Eye contact and everything. I always thought that was so cool. (Probably didn't hurt that she was a hot lady )
    Lalasnake and Belt Up like this.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Well, y'all might know that Elvis was presented as the white boy with the black voice. But in reality he had pretty deep Cherokee roots from both sides of the family. His mom was more Cherokee than his dad, in fact so much that when she was a child she was only allowed to go to school for about 6 months out of each year. The other months children of minorities had to work the fields at harvest time. His dad was very lucky he and most of his siblings were blond. That helped to get Elvis into the "lily white" Humes Highschool and helped the "truth" to sell him as the white boy with the black voice. His paternal granddad was kind of a racist (he was also against Vernon marrying Gladys because of her background, which is why they eloped, aside from him being too young to marry) but it later turned out he himself had Cherokee blood running through his veins. Elvis was proud of his Cherokee background and wanted to go public with it, the Colonel thought "the world" wasn't ready for that and that it would cost Elvis his career (and the Colonel 50% of the earnings). They did "deceive with the truth": in some of his movies Elvis' character had a Native American background and in one movie he even was a mixed-race Native American. That's as close as he got to telling the truth.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; November 6th, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
    LastLook likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Silver Member

I watched his performances on the teevee when I was in high school-late 1960's. My mother tolerated it because he's Welsh and she was English. Never forgot the hysterical grown women in the audiences!

I love his music but am appalled by his freaky weird eyebrows. They used to look so much better when he was younger. Men should never mess with their eyebrows, they can't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    I hate that she regretted it, Chalet. My grandmother went to an Elvis concert, and on the way back from the bathroom, walking down the aisle back to her seat, he looked and sang straight at her. Eye contact and everything. I always thought that was so cool. (Probably didn't hurt that she was a hot lady )
    Just clarifying LL...she regretted not choosing the Elvis concert. She would have loved to have had an Elvis memory like your grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I want them to perform a DNA test to figure out how he's been married for almost 60 years.
    Money talks.

When i first landed in US soil,an innocent Euro at her 20,s,i begged my then Ohio born and bred SIL to take me to San Francisco to see Tom Jones live in concert.She got really agitated and told me no way she would go spend money to see that *white negro*I was so shocked i still remember it.I think that is when i begun to realize what racism is about.
    HWBL, greysfang and bootspaige like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Just clarifying LL...she regretted not choosing the Elvis concert. She would have loved to have had an Elvis memory like your grandma.
    Oh, that's what I meant, about her wishing she had picked Elvis instead. Sorry I wasn't very clear there.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

I had the honor (HONOR?) of riding up in an elevator with dear Mr. Jones in Las Vegas in the 80's. Just me & him and it was a loooong ride! He stood right in front of me and I swear never took his eyes off me. I was a lot taller and light years younger,but he never ever blinked. Gave me the creeps and I practically jumped out & hauled it! I was never so glad to get away in my life.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Tom Jones, The White Negro!! (that it too funny, Effie.)

The UK had slavery. So did the rest of Europe. But unlike in the Americas, it never really caught on. Many African slaves returned to Africa; some stayed on in Europe and intermarried with whites; there has never really been a "one-drop rule" in Europe, so the African strain became absorbed in the the white population, with a few exceptions.

Isn't Ashley Greene English?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Bitter,you shit stirrer,you!lol
    BITTER and LastLook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    It would not surprise me if he did.
    I love It's Not Unusual to death, though...
    Its not unusual to like his songs...
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsy_2000 View Post
    I love Elvis. He was the one they said sounded "black" on the radio so Tom can admit he stole that story.

Being from 20mins from Tom's hometown we got to hear a douchey story about him.
    During a concert he made a big deal over a fan. ",oh come to my dressing room for an autograph love"
    Then he proceeded to tell her to fuck off when she went back lol
    If that is douchey....
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Well, y'all might know that Elvis was presented as the white boy with the black voice. But in reality he had pretty deep Cherokee roots from both sides of the family. His mom was more Cherokee than his dad, in fact so much that when she was a child she was only allowed to go to school for about 6 months out of each year. The other months children of minorities had to work the fields at harvest time. His dad was very lucky he and most of his siblings were blond. That helped to get Elvis into the "lily white" Humes Highschool and helped the "truth" to sell him as the white boy with the black voice. His paternal granddad was kind of a racist (he was also against Vernon marrying Gladys because of her background, which is why they eloped, aside from him being too young to marry) but it later turned out he himself had Cherokee blood running through his veins. Elvis was proud of his Cherokee background and wanted to go public with it, the Colonel thought "the world" wasn't ready for that and that it would cost Elvis his career (and the Colonel 50% of the earnings). They did "deceive with the truth": in some of his movies Elvis' character had a Native American background and in one movie he even was a halfbreed Native American. That's as close as he got to telling the truth.
    So thats a thing???
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The UK had slavery. So did the rest of Europe. But unlike in the Americas, it never really caught on. Many African slaves returned to Africa; some stayed on in Europe and intermarried with whites; there has never really been a "one-drop rule" in Europe, so the African strain became absorbed in the the white population, with a few exceptions.

Isn't Ashley Greene English?
    We're a lot closer geographically, plus uder Rome, everyone was a slave.
    BITTER likes this.

Rumors about Mick Jagger's ancestry have also been heard.
    And the Martin Gore of Depeche Mode found out that his father was African-American. Frankly I never would have guessed.
    Last edited by BITTER; November 6th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information