Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tilda Swinton refuses to wear makeup (even for the Oscars)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    why is she exempt from having her weight scrutinised.
    I think part of it is that it clearly suits her frame and bone structure, unlike someone like Rene Zelwegger (sp?). Also, her frame and face have never really looked much different, so she never appears to be having a battle with her body.

Love the skin. Radiant and at this point, exotic.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I love her...she dances to the beat of her own drum and isn't afraid to be different.

Feel free to shout me down but - sorry - I don't believe for one second that she doesn't wear make-up. Obviously she doesn't wear eye make-up and lipstick (well, duh!), but there's no way she wasn't wearing a faceful of foundation and powder (and probably a vat of concealer) at the oscars. If she's a real redhead, her skin would be particularly prone to blushing, blotching and freckles - which would all have shown. But even if she's not, she's still going to have a few blotchy areas, shadows, veins, etc., - no matter how careful she is in the sun. Especially at the age of 48. And especially in close-up.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I think part of it is that it clearly suits her frame and bone structure, unlike someone like Rene Zelwegger (sp?). Also, her frame and face have never really looked much different, so she never appears to be having a battle with her body.

Love the skin. Radiant and at this point, exotic.
    i agree bout renee zellwegger but then there is people like Keira Knightley who are just skinny naturally and get a public stoning over it anywho ive just had another look at the photos and i conclude that she is wearing foundation but who cares its still not the usual pancake makeup that everyone else surrounding her was wearing... so yeah a big pat on her protruding shoulder blades for being different.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

love this woman.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    Feel free to shout me down but - sorry - I don't believe for one second that she doesn't wear make-up. Obviously she doesn't wear eye make-up and lipstick (well, duh!), but there's no way she wasn't wearing a faceful of foundation and powder (and probably a vat of concealer) at the oscars. If she's a real redhead, her skin would be particularly prone to blushing, blotching and freckles - which would all have shown. But even if she's not, she's still going to have a few blotchy areas, shadows, veins, etc., - no matter how careful she is in the sun. Especially at the age of 48. And especially in close-up.
    Totally agree. I'm off to hunt down pictures to scrutinize.

Anyway, whatever works for her.

And at least she dresses to suit the frame of someone who is tall and thin. Even though she could look more classically pretty if she tried. Or wanted to.

It's quite nice to have someone like her though, when you see all the other skinny minnies (especially the ones who have practically put their bodies through boot camp to get there) turned out in skimpy, body-hugging outfits that show it all...clavicles, washboard chests, bony backs, and knobby knees. Y'know, the clothes that traditionally would be worn by women with figures to pull it off. Once upon a time a skinny chick would not have been caught dead trying to sex it up in the same way as one who was stacked (which is apparently now considered fat).
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by cool girl View Post
    I love her...she dances to the beat of her own drum and isn't afraid to be different.
    I agree, originality is hard to be found in Hollywood these days.

However, I do see a hint of rouge and lipstick on her during the Oscars:

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I agree, she's not entirely makeupless there. But still admire that she's not trying to look like some sexed-up version of herself at ten years younger.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    i agree bout renee zellwegger but then there is people like Keira Knightley who are just skinny naturally and get a public stoning over it
    True, I hadn't thought about that angle.

I think you're picking up on something: maybe Tilda hasn't gotten flack b/c of the way she carries herself? There's a non-snob vibe like, "Go ahead, try me, I don't give shit and I'm above it anyhow." I think Keira has publicly whined about that stuff, which only fueled the fire and made her sound like a kid, but Tilda seems to hold her ground without saying much and simply projecting confidence. I look at her and think " grown up"; I definitely don't think that about the majority of Hollywood (or people in general).
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Silver Member

She also might be coloring her hair. I'm a natural redhead and the tone doesn't quite ring real. (I am sure she is a natural redhead based on her tone, but sometimes when we gingers age, we need help.)

I know I will canned for this but I think she is quite unattractive.

She's no beauty queen, I agree. But beauty is overrated. Especially when it's all that's there.

She's got something most pretty girls will never have.

The (almost) no make up look is fine, though filling in those brows a bit would be nice.

Eli

Tilda proved in Michael Clayton that she can look somehow attractive without make-up, but it's in the hair and FFS can't she save our souls by getting that? I don't understand this up to the top of the head and then SLASH! hairdo she's got. She looks like a retarded serial killer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information