Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Tiger Woods in surgery after suffering injury in 1-car rollover accident

Yeah, his career is over. He already had back issues so this is the nail in the coffin for him. He can still contribute to the sport but as an active athlete, he's done.

i don't understand why he didn't retire years ago.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He won the Master's again in 2019. That was a major comeback win of the premier golf match, so it gave a lot of fans hope he could keep going. But as someone said earlier, he had such a bad back that he had multiple bones fused together. And aside from that, he had what is now his GOOD leg rebuilt because of torn ligaments. In my opinion, he's kind of a Frankenstein mess that drags his re-built body out there to keep endorsement contracts going.

I've said on another thread that I don't consider this a sport - it's a rich, old person's way of getting out of the house and getting some fresh air in ugly pants. Nobody ever brags about having a "golfer's build".

^Golfer’s build.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Oooh, Mo don't let my in-laws hear you say that. They live for golf, live on a golf course, play everyday, volunteer at tournaments all over the country just to get in, etc. Work out specifically to remain in shape for it. They're in their 70's and in better shape than than most 70-yr-olds.

True, it can be any old rich person's easy pastime, but I can also see how it can be as intense as you're willing to make it. It's a sport at an elite level, though I agree not really at the "country club" level. "Golfer's build" is right
    czb, MohandasKGanja and Novice like this.

czb

agree. and i don't even like golf.

My husband love golfing. I think it's boring. I can't see where my ball landed, I get bored by hole three. I don't have time for that.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

If golf is a sport, so is billiards. Without the tee off, gold is just croquet with a smaller ball and club. Or maybe we could say that golf is a "sport", but the people who play it are not athletes.

I could go on all day about this topic - muscle mass, maximum and resting heart rate, how they would do against other athletes on an obstacle course or a mixed-sports competition. I worked out for 30 minutes in a gym this morning with my pulse rate peaking at 160 bpm and a surgical mask on the whole time. It's just offensive to me that these activities are grouped under the same heading.

ETA - I'm just a little cranky this morning.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; February 26th, 2021 at 11:50 AM.
    NickiDrea likes this.

czb

i dunno.

is curling more of a sport than ballet? it gets grey. personally, i am not interested in golf but i would agree that tiger is/was an athlete. maybe not in the same way i respect lindsey vonn but still. and one of the things i liked about her was that everyone knew she could kick tiger's ass. but i digress.
    Novice likes this.

I consider Golf a sport, it's just different than contact sports or high endurance sports. Doesn't mean that these people don't train their asses off day in and out to up their game. Tigers & other PGA level golfers are athletes.

Back in the day I had people tell me that swimming wasn't a "true sport" because there wasn't contact (this was the 90's) and how bad they felt for our poor high school football players who had to do daily doubles for 2-3 weeks at the beginning of the school year. I did 10 practices a week for swimming, often 3+ hours a day in the pool for years. That being said, even at my most athletic I would lose on a mixed-sports or obstacle course because that's not what I trained for or what I'm good at. Doesn't mean I wasn't at athlete.
    czb, crayzeehappee and mopar like this.

czb

someone said swimming wasn't a true sport?

yeah, i think it's a sport. why shoudl sports be a narrow definition that only includes contact or high endurance sports?
    archery is a sport, so is golf, so is curling and sumo wrestling. they just entail different skills.
    Beeyotch and mopar like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We will just have to agree to disagree. I will add that I believe that Wood brought the concept of scientific athletic training to golf, and that others have adopted it. But I still don't think it's a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    someone said swimming wasn't a true sport?
    Again, this was in the 90's before Michael Phelps popularized US swimming to the degree it's at now. How many of you can name olympic swimmers from the 90's?

Also, this was probably some dumb high school kid who thought only "real" sports were football, baseball, and basketball because those were the sports that my high school dominated at the time.

Swimming is not only a real sport (that requires superior conditioning), it's one of the only useful sports. If you were on a boat that capsizes, superior baseball skills are not going to save you.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information