Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Thora Birch Pissed Off a Lot of People

I think that excusing difficult Roberts and difficult Paltrow's career advancement as being accomplished through BJ's/casting couch -- assertions that have never been substantiated -- is kind of mysogynistic in and of itself.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's not misogynistic to point out that even pretty, talented female actors have OFTEN found it necessary [in their estimation] to resort to lowering themselves sexually in order to keep working in H'wood. You are not seriously going to sit there and deny THAT are you? I reckon some men have done it as well but lets try to guesstimate the wildly uneven ratio on that one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Steve Buscemi is very charismatic (he's on my list of "Gods help me but I would" men) and a good actor.
    Good to know I'm not the only one!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Good to know I'm not the only one!
    I like him alright as an actor but he was ALL wrong for Nucky Thompson imo. I find myself wanting him off the screen ASAP when he's on. SB's line readings as Nucky are horrible and I know he can do better but he simply does not. On top of that, the beautiful and/or most interesting male characters get killed off while the script continues to blow Buscemi's character. The mind often boggles at the workings of H'wood meta-scriptwriting but to me the BE/Buscemi phenomenon is a particularly interesting one.

I only made it through the first episode of BE, so I can't speak to that. All I know is Buschemi had me at Mr. Pink.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    It's not misogynistic to point out that even pretty, talented female actors have OFTEN found it necessary [in their estimation] to resort to lowering themselves sexually in order to keep working in H'wood. You are not seriously going to sit there and deny THAT are you? I reckon some men have done it as well but lets try to guesstimate the wildly uneven ratio on that one.....
    Quite frankly, neither of us has the slightest idea what the ratio would be or has proof that it is wildly uneven in either direction.

I don't know who has or has not admitted to succumbing to the casting couch, but I have never heard Roberts admit to it. Or admit to sleeping with someone to get a role. And I haven't seen any credible information supporting it either. Quite frankly, it seems like she has slept with EXACTLY who she wanted to sleep with - to a fault, and not to advance her career. Which still leaves the point, that she pissed off one of the most powerful director/producers in Hollywood and still went on her merry way doing what she wanted to do - because she was a huge box-office draw.
    sluce and Heidi Ho like this.

I think she's making excuses as to why her career fizzled. There are tons of unattractive (by Hollywood standards)/semi attractive actresses who consistently work, Leah Dunham (sp?), Tilda Swinton, SJP, Anna Paquin, Kirstin Dunst, Maggie Gallenhall....
    SoCalMarie likes this.

She always seemed like a strange young girl. She probably is right about having to go along with what Hollywood wants to succeed a lot of the time, but if you choose not to, then you shouldn't complain. In my opinion anyways....

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    She always seemed like a strange young girl. She probably is right about having to go along with what Hollywood wants to succeed a lot of the time, but if you choose not to, then you shouldn't complain. In my opinion anyways....
    On the flip side, if the women who remain and succeed are the women who never complain audiences are stuck with some awfully bland, white bread 'talent'. Oh wait..this is JUST what we're stuck with. for the most part. A few exceptions but not many.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information