Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Terrence Howard a Jehovah's Witness?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Unfortunately, I was forced to be a Jehovah's Witness through my childhood, until I refused to go. Their views and perceptions are very skewed. Perhaps the congregation you went to was polite, but ALL of the ones I had to attend were hateful. They were the most judgmental, hypocritical people I ever met in my life. The gossipped more than a room full of old women at a hair salon, and enjoyed publicly humiliating people for making mistakes that "worldly" people make. They put themselves on a pedestal, comparable only to other cult members who have a deity complex. Perhaps there are some very kind witnesses out there, but if someone is interested, or they have a friend trying to recruit them, be careful. Because if someone decides they do not want to become a JW, their friend will drop them like a piece of trash. Most of the teens I knew who were JW's had a lot of inner turmoil going on, and many of them hid their wild ways from their parents. This church does not forgive, and never forgets someone else's mistakes. Second chances are hard to come by, and you are expected to consider yourself better and more pure than other people, treating them similar to a Canaanite. Everyone, please be aware of everything, no matter what religion you're interested in pursuing.
    I think my view of Witnesses is greatly skewed by the fact that my entire family (parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, paternal and maternal) are extremely devout practicing Jehovah's Witnesses. I pity them because they do not even have the ability to think for themselves anymore. I hold the organization responsible more than the sheep that just follow along because they've been brainwashed.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    I think my view of Witnesses is greatly skewed by the fact that my entire family (parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, paternal and maternal) are extremely devout practicing Jehovah's Witnesses. I pity them because they do not even have the ability to think for themselves anymore. I hold the organization responsible more than the sheep that just follow along because they've been brainwashed.
    I'm sorry to hear that, and I understand where you're coming from. I also have many relatives who are devout JW's, and it's difficult to even see them. Once someone leaves the "truth" (as they call it), then they are basically cast out like a black sheep. As for your earlier post regarding the lack of education that is so prevalent among this religious movement, I'd like to add something brief. A lot of people don't know this, but JW's do not believe in the use of guns or weapons (they quickly forget what happened when this country was founded), they disourage their sons from signing up for selective service. This is illegal, and is mandatory to attend college, so most of the young men involved in this church never step foot on a college campus. A lot of JW's think we're in the beginning of Armageddon anyway, so it won't really matter what they do with their lives.

There's a JW's church (?) very close to my house. I am not really sure if they call it a church, but anyway, they do seem nice people when you view from the outside. But when you know the details, what they believe in ...

and the blood transfusion thing, just drives me nuts. That, to me, is insane. I don't mean to offend anyone, but to let your son die, for instance ..it's beyond me. I'm sorry, but I just can't respect someone who follows that. I can't.

Anything can become cult like, religious zealots who flap new diets in your face and revelations about additives and pesticides in our food. They all rave and rage to us, wanting us to convert to what they believe, This and myriads of other causes. People who find themselves in trouble with something, be it alcohol, drugs, addiction to prescription drugs (me) we all want others to be free. But when is it plain that youve stepped over a line and fall into the madness. JWs excommunicate people who dont believe anymore cos they feel threatened. The dickheads. If its so great, they should fear nothing.
    Jack I swear.

Growing up going to the Kingdom Hall was not a bad experience for me. We didn't celebrate holidays, and when you're raised that way, it's not a big deal. My mother is having a "Treasure Hunt" for the kids next week, where she has a little party, and gives them their presents. She does not celebrate or give gifts at Christmas or birthdays, but the kids love her "Treasure Hunt".

(I only remember getting upset when in 3rd grade, I wasn't allowed to make "Christmas decorations" at school, and I really wanted to make a Santa Claus with a cotton ball beard. My teacher had me make a snowman picture with cotton balls to shut me up.)

My mother's side of the family is made up almost entirely of JW's. In fact, if you visit a previously listed website about the Jehovah's Witness discussion forum, my family's name is threaded throughout, both good and bad discussions.

I guess I've been lucky, the witnesses I've had around me my entire life have been a fairly peaceful, fun loving group (well, in that discussion forum, you'll find the family name and "drinking" issues spoken about...). Sure, I was never baptized, so maybe the expectations were much more relaxed. Maybe the "brothers and sisters" I was raised around were openly full of flaws, and not trying to portray being perfect and invincible.

We helped build our "Kingdom Hall". From what I remember, all of the work was donated by either members of the congregation, or their friends, and the money was raised over the years through donations. My mother's husband at the time was a bricklayer (not a JW), who spent quite a bit of time helping out. The buildings are very modest, simple, and basic. Just a little building with seats. We were never expected to donate money. There is a little box in the back of the hall for donations, but no basket is passed, and we were not made to feel inferior if we could not afford to "give". The "brothers" would openly discuss the needs of the hall, and how much more money would need to be collected to accomplish the need (for example, new carpet, new speakers, new light bulbs, etc.). Sometimes it would take a year or two for the big projects.

My family has never accepted "blood", and no one has died from that. My grandmother had surgery for colon cancer (she has since passed) at 87, wouldn't take the blood, and the hospital she went to has a wing dedicated to the practice and study of blood "substitutes". We found that many people now refuse "blood", not just JW's. Even her doctor. Those of us (family) who no longer attend the Kingdom Hall, would still refuse blood.

I know quite a few college educated, successful, black, and white members of several congregations. Perhaps they joined later in life. I never heard of the discouraging education within the religion. Several cousins have degrees and go "door to door". Hmmm.

I don't "attend" anymore, but I do still read the pamphlets on occasion, the daily scripture, and my son enjoys the book studies my mother has for the kids. I respect the religion. I prefer to study in private, which is not often. I am definitely not qualified to discuss the "religion", or why JW's believe what they do. I just want people to know that JW's are not all that bad, nor does it feel like a "cult", not everywhere at least.

p/s~ Terrence Howard is gorgeous. Now I'm curious about the Witness thing with him. I look forward to more info.

^Great post. I study and personally it gives me alot of comfort. I brought this up with my friend who is a baptized witness and she said some people do treat it as if it's some kind of special club and everyone else are the 'wordly' people. Thankfully they aren't the kind of witnesses I've met. My friends brother is not 'in the truth' although he was raised in it, but his family haven't punished him for it.

My first experience with a witness was when a girl came to my door one afternoon when i was feeling very depressed and needed someone who didn't know me to talk to. (as weird as it sounds.) I invited this girl in and she talked to me for 2 hours, we had coffee and cake, and all i was thinking the whole time was 'What other religion would do this?' So I've always had positive experiences with the witnesses.

I also dont see it as a cult. They follow the same bible, and God, as Catholics do. And they door knock because thats what Jesus did when he was on earth; he preached, and the thing about the JW's is that they live their lives by the bible. YES, the same bible as the Catholics. In the bible it says one should not accept blood - which is the most criticized of the witnesses beliefs. As for Christmas and other holidays ; i never celebrated them anyway.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Thank you raspberry and sherbear for your posts. I'm glad to see that you both have found something you believe in, because life is too hard without it. There are both good and bad people in every walk of life, including different religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    My first experience with a witness was when a girl came to my door one afternoon when i was feeling very depressed and needed someone who didn't know me to talk to. (as weird as it sounds.) I invited this girl in and she talked to me for 2 hours, we had coffee and cake, and all i was thinking the whole time was 'What other religion would do this?' So I've always had positive experiences with the witnesses.
    I respectfully want to point out that this experience raises some red flags for me: to come into your home when you are down, offer a sympathetic ear, and then push the religion on you. Its taking advantage of you.

And it can be a sign of the typical 'bait and switch:' they pull you in by being nice and caring, and then they hit you with the rules, oppression and requirements.

I hope you continue to have positive experiences with the religion, but keep your wits about you and stay skeptical for your own well-being.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information