Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree2275Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston are "dating"

I'm just not convinced that he is so desperate for attention that he would need to fake date Taylor Swift. The man is being floated around to be the next James Bond. Who has had more success than him from the Avengers? RDJ? Yeah he was already famous? Chris Hemsworth? Yeah he has hits and misses but nothing to make him any more famous than Loki.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I'm an American, so The Night Manager was barely a blip over here. (I just looked it up and the premiere episode on AMC got less than a million viewers.) I'm aware of it because I'm a High Laurie fan, though I still haven't watched it. It didn't really get any buzz over here. We have miniseries like American Crime Story, Fargo and of course the regular cable series like Game of Thrones that inspire huge buzz, so you need more than just decent reviews to break out on US TV. He may not even get an Emmy nomination out of it, considering how stacked American Crime Story is expected to be in the miniseries category.

It's not due to BBC bias either, because many times the British series do well over here. Wolf Hall didn't attract huge ratings but got excellent reviews and got a ton of American awards and attention for Mark Rylance. Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have both gotten Emmys for Sherlock. And of course Downton Abbey was a huge phenomenon. I'm sure Hiddleston wanted some of that, but The Night Manager was not the success here that those imports have been.

What my friends who are fans of his have told me is that Hiddleston is sick of being just well-known in Britain and Loki everywhere else, and he's desperate for US fame and you really need something major, like a successful movie, to do that. The last time I saw Hiddleston in the US press it was when he was everywhere promoting that Hank Williams biopic, which was a huge flop. It looks like if he can't get attention here for his work he's going the planned PR romance route with a big pop star.
    Sarzy, wingnut and Seapharris7 like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

This is quite literally the worst couple I could even imagine and all I can say is "I told you so" about Hiddleston being a muppet
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Bronze Member

Well, my, er,love for Hiddleston has dimmed. There's an interview with him on YouTube in which he pines about the success of others from RDA, especially Redmayne who was (gasp) a couple of years behind him. Still double Firsts in Classics...
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Well not to argue but this is what I found when I looked up The Night Manager ratings on AMC.

AMC definitely chose a gilded sword to pierce into Tuesday nights and The Night Manager looks to have done been up to the job. In Live + 3 results, the April 19 debut of the Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston starring co-production with the BBC delivered the cabler a total viewership of 1.6 million with 455,000 among adults 18-49 and 554,000 among the 25-54 demo.

In what is the biggest jump an AMC show debut has ever had, that’s a surge of 70% in total viewership over the Live + Same Day audience that the first episode of the Susanne Bier directed 6-part TNM snagged. Looking at the two demos, which also are record breaking jumps percentage-wise, TNM was up 72% over L+SD in the 18-49s and 73% in the 25-54s.

It was a hit for AMC which is not a network. It is a cable channel in 100s of cable channels. Scoring over a million viewers is a big win.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Well not to argue but this is what I found when I looked up The Night Manager ratings on AMC.

The discrepancy is because they're talking about the Live +3, the live ratings plus three days of DVR views. Advertisers still only care about live +1 ratings, so that's what the industry cares about and those are considered the real ratings released the day following a broadcast. But networks will frequently add in anywhere from the +3 to +7 DVR ratings in order to plump up lower viewer numbers for press releases. That's why what you quoted is touting the 70% jump in viewers for people who DVRed the show vs. who watched it live or the same day on DVR, as being a "record" for an "AMC debut series."

The reason, BTW, that the television industry does not care very much about DVR views is because the overwhelming majority of viewers skip ads when watching recorded shows, so advertisers don't care about DVRs, which means networks can't sell them (because ratings exist to sell ad time for the shows, not the shows themselves). That's why you'll still see shows cancelled even when they're touted as being one of the top DVRed shows.

AMC is a cable network, true, but that doesn't mean a series averaging less than a million for its run (as with Night Manager) is very good. Compare to two of AMC's flagship original series: Breaking Bad in its last season started with 5 million overall viewers and ended with 10 million. In its current weaker season, ratings wise, The Walking Dead still averages around 14 million total viewers and 8 million in the coveted 18-49 demo. Mad Men received huge acclaim, buzz, and lots of Emmys but was always a weak ratings performer for AMC with an average of about 2 million total viewers. (All of these are Live+1 numbers). The Night Manager got just under 1 million total viewers for its premiere, then dropped off for the rest. It ended up with an average of 793,000 total viewers for its entire run on AMC, and just 17,000 average viewers in the 18-49 demo.

This all off topic but I'm a bit of a ratings geek.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I'm really happy about this. I've always thought he was gay so I'm not sure if this confirms or denies that but shallow, fun, summer gossip is just what I want to see right now after all the depressing news. I hope this one ends in a really embarrassing wedding dance photos sold to People magazine and eventually tall, scrawny, well dressed babies with posh English accents.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Rest of article at the link but her list of ex boyfs reads like the ultimate bearding list.

Late yesterday afternoon, a British tabloid published several photos of Taylor Swift kissing the actor Tom Hiddleston on a rock near her home in Rhode Island. Two weeks before that, Taylor Swift broke up with her previous white male companion, Calvin Harris (a DJ). And roughly 4.6 billion years before that, collisions in a solar nebula caused the formation of the sun and eventually, Earth. Why did these events happen in this particular order?

Because Taylor Swift wanted them to.

Taylor Swift has been strategically employing famous boyfriends to shape her music and public image since it was legal for her to do so. She started dating Joe Jonas a few months after she turned 18 and later told Ellen Degeneres that he broke up with her in a "27-second phone call,” inspiring the song "Forever & Always." Then it was Taylor Lautner (“Back to December”), John Mayer (“Dear John”), Jake Gyllenhaal (“We Are Never Getting Back Together”), Conor Kennedy (“Begin Again”), and Harry Styles (“Style”). She has it all down to a science. First comes the adorable paparazzi photo shoot (remember those maple latte pics with Gyllenhaal at Thanksgiving?), then a coy interview or two, then a breakup song.
    http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/here...iddleston.html

she's dated more gay guys than liza minelli
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    I never watched The Night Manager which he was in but he looked hot. However within days of that he was fame-whoring on every tv show and radio station in the UK. You just couldn't get away from the guy and he seemed to love the fame. Put me right off him. And when he was being interviewed he seemed a bit camp to me. So dating Taylor Swift doesn't surprise me. Double beard/fame-whore situation?
    Is he supposed to act miserable on talk shows and radio while promoting his new show that he's contractually obligated to?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    she's dated more gay guys than liza minelli
    Or Liza's mom, Judy Garland! No wait....Judy actually married the gay guys.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Ha so did Liza!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    How does Taylor always convince these dues to pull the most Harlequin-esque staged shit? Like that one with the latest ex where she's on her toes, kicking a foot back on the beach while kissing him on a sunset beach (gag) and now this? WHAT THE HELL TOM?!!
    Somebody said it looked like something out of a Nicholas Sparks movie.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

A part of my vagina just died and dried up.
    dowcat, Icepik, Sassiness and 1 others like this.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information