Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift Paints Scooter Braun as Manipulative Bully

Lovato and Bieber probably have Stockholm syndrome.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    no artist I've ever worked with has been in debt to the record company - they just stay unrecouped, forever. It's not like once they get dropped they have to pay the label back the balance.
    and if they can't pay back the label there's always that freebie album the band can do for the label before being dumped...... and those unrecouped costs can be useful in preventing a band going elsewhere.....yeah you want good management to deal with record company 'reasoning' and their idea of 'risk'.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Fuck them in the eye sockets. And screw Demi and the Biebs for taking up for them and not sticking together with fellow artists.
    I don't really see Demi's defending Scooter Braun as not sticking together with fellow artists. From what I read here (unless someone can correct me) Demi basically only addressed Taylor's character assassination of her manager. I can understand that, as it seems to have meant a lot to Demi that this guy believed in her enough to become her manager after her OD. Also, Taylor says that while excruciating, she had "made peace" with the fact that her masters would be sold. She's making an issue now, because this Scooter Braun guy bought them. Technically, I think he bought the Big Machine label, which includes her catalog.
    DawnM74 and BelledeJour like this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

^ he bought the whole catalog which includes many other artists.

Very few own their catalog, I think Cher is the oldest example of owning her catalog as she has rights to all her music since 1974.
    DawnM74 likes this.

Just because it's commonplace doesn't make it right.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Bronze Member

SOO true.....try telling that to the majority of folks in the biz (who are very often ummm 'ambitious' ) and who will just write off anything sketchy with the catch phrase "....it's just business".......which is also the answer given for ANY shitty self-entitled attitudes and the susbequent/resulting BS treatment of other folks.

I'd always wondered if i'd be allowed to punch some of these folks in the face.......for business.....but more for a simple 'wake up' call.

No matter how many times I read this title it gives me a headache. First impression was that she had a scooter and she painted it brown
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    Taylor understands business very well, which is why she frequently sues her own fans.

What have I missed?
    mostroop likes this.

Lots of things are owned by the company that one is working for at the time - it happens to designers (especially product designers) and technologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Lots of things are owned by the company that one is working for at the time - it happens to designers (especially product designers) and technologists.
    But the difference is the cost of creating those designs doesn't come out of the designer's wages. That's what makes it hard to earn money in the music industry - the artist doesn't see a cent (unless they got a decent advance) until the recording costs are recouped out of their measly share of the royalties. And yet even after they've fully repaid the costs, they STILL don't own them. It's unfair but that's the way it is.
    Novice likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Those folks are generally full time employees though (with all the pro's and con's of full time employment)..... a recording artist is supposed to be a business partner, their contracts aren't employment contracts......even if they do unfortunately end up worse..... like a bank loan!

Most of the contracts i've read for 'creative' kind of work (like a recording artist) include the BS 'ownership of other creative endeavours' clause...... which is why, if working in a creative capacity, it is better to contract/freelance for these IP owning companies rather than go 'full time/contracted like a recording artist' (if it suits your position), they generally have to pay you more and can't claim to own your other 'stuff'......assuming they use/hire contractor/freelancer like folks in the first place which many often won't for these very reasons.

At the label I worked for (full time), I was expected to screw photographers (contractors/freelancers) down to the bare minimum price when creating album cover artwork, I was then expected to follow that up later (always 'later' never 'beforehand') by ALSO asking them to sign away ANY and ALL future ownership of the image before the album release date or.....dada.... "we won't be able to use (and pay you) for the beautiful artwork you just created (which we commissioned)......and YOU won't get the exposure you were obviously hoping for by creating the image so cheaply in the first place".
    I refused to do it and when made to I ensured that the contracts never made it to the legal department, but you end up with the internal legal folks forever chasing you down and giving you grief when you're potentially holding up a release date (and the opportunity to make money).......I don't work for a record label anymore, by choice thankfully though.
    Last edited by secretgoldfish; July 6th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.

fgg

Music insiders: Taylor Swift ‘playing victim’ in Scooter Braun feud

Taylor Swift was crowned the world’s highest paid celeb Wednesday, according to Forbes, with more than $185 million raked in over the past year. But music industry insiders are accusing the star of “playing victim” in her attack on Scooter Braun last week for buying her former label, Big Machine Records, and say she could’ve scooped up the label herself.

Swift posted after Braun bought the label, “Scooter has stripped me of my life’s work, that I wasn’t given an opportunity to buy” and, “This is what happens when you sign a deal at fifteen.”

But an insider said of Swift: “Everyone knows she’s playing the victim. She has five homes, a private jet. She even summons her boyfriend [UK actor Joe Alwyn]. She sends a jet to London to pick him up and bring him to her when she needs him.”

Swift wrote in the lengthy post: “For years I asked, pleaded for a chance to own my work. Instead, I was given an opportunity to sign back up to Big Machine Records and ‘earn’ one album back at a time, one for every new one I turned in.”

But a source pointed out that Swift comes from a family of finance pros, and her dad, Scott, is a Big Machine shareholder.

“She’s omitting the fact that someone acquired the company. She could’ve bought it!” exclaimed a source of the deal. “Her dad is a multimillionaire shareholder. It’s a business transaction, and she’s making it all about her.”

Another insider told us Swift did try to purchase her masters — and the label — on several occasions, but was met with stipulations.

“It was a s - - tty deal. She tried to buy it multiple times, but they wouldn’t let her cut a check like Scooter,” the source said.

Swift’s lawyer, Donald Passman, has said, “[Big Machine CEO] Scott Borchetta never gave Taylor Swift an opportunity to purchase her masters, or the label, outright with a check in the way he is now apparently doing for others.”

Swift headlined last night’s Amazon Music Prime Day concert and releases her first album for Republic on Aug. 23.

Reps did not comment.

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/10/music...er-braun-feud/

this doesn't seem to be going the way taylor hoped, LOL!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

But an insider said of Swift: “Everyone knows she’s playing the victim. She has five homes, a private jet. She even summons her boyfriend [UK actor Joe Alwyn]. She sends a jet to London to pick him up and bring him to her when she needs him.”
    I don't really know enough about all the parties to take sides, so I'm not here trying to defend her because for all I know she might be full of shit. But quotes like this really piss me off. However much Taylor has made from the music that she writes and records and performs, it's only a fraction of what everybody else involved has made off her. I've never had a problem with people doing well financially from their music, because it's so rare when you consider how big the industry is. The record companies, promoters, publishers, managers are all feeding off the golden goose, so if Taylor has five homes, some executive at her label probably has ten. That's not to say these people don't work hard, but I feel the same way about big contracts for athletes - if someone is going to be making a fortune off them, I'd rather it be the talent than the suits and leeches.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

.- if someone is going to be making a fortune off them, I'd rather it be the talent than the suits and leeches.
    who is the talent in this case?

I can’t stand swift's music but i can still acknowledge the girl has talent.
    Kittylady and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information