Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift an 'obnoxious Nazi Barbie', writes Camille Paglia

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Paglia seems to have a Mean Girls hang-up.
    That's the first thing I thought. Like some tall, blonde girls were mean to her in high school so she's still bitter.
    holly likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    That's the first thing I thought. Like some tall, blonde girls were mean to her in high school so she's still bitter.
    But that IS the quote....
    Camille Paglia has written a scathing critique of Taylor Swift, referring to the singer as an “obnoxious Nazi Barbie” whose “twinkly persona is such a scary flashback to the fascist blondes who ruled the social scene during my youth”.
    She has a reasonable point about retiring the girl-squad-on-stage but that's Taylor's performance.
    There are such more worthy but letigious targets, instead of targeting a woman who actual is famous for skills other than how to hold still while some wanker pisses on them or how they apply their foundation/shading....
    Angeli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    But that IS the quote....

She has a reasonable point about retiring the girl-squad-on-stage but that's Taylor's performance.
    There are such more worthy but letigious targets, instead of targeting a woman who actual is famous for skills other than how to hold still while some wanker pisses on them or how they apply their foundation/shading....
    Or being famous for having a big ass and a sex tape like someone else we know....
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Or being famous for having a big ass and a sex tape like someone else we know....
    Actually, I think Cim was one of the people who Novice was referencing.

In fairness to Swift, from what I'm reading, she didn't even go to a traditional high school after her sophomore year and was spending most of her free time touring at the age of 11. Maybe Paglia could spend some time chasing down the blondes who actually bullied her?
    Novice, czb and Tati like this.

What is Paglia's take on the Kardashians?
    holly likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

I mean, she's probably right but I'm at the vet's so no time to read the whole thing but it's kind of deliciously ironic that camille paglia is calling her out on this when paglia is constantly getting ripped to shreds by contemporary feminists for being an elitist second-wave white feminist.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I forget what talk show she was on, maybe Politically Incorrect or one of the cable news shows, where she was talking about how women of color, black women in particular, didn't "whine" about things like domestic violence and rape like their white counterparts, because they "owned" their sexuality, and were naturally strong. One of the women panelists, who was black and was in the field of social work, reminded her that a lot of her clients who were survivors of domestic violence and rape. The woman accused Paglia of not really spending time in the black community to get the full specter of the issues facing black women, and that maybe she didn't understand women in general either.
    Novice likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

"Fascist Blondes" would've been such a great name for a band, back in the early 80's. Maybe some one can talk Taylor into turning punk and forming a band called Fascist Blondes. Tell her it'll give her credibility. She's through with country, so why not?

As for Nazi Barbie, that sounds like more of a Metric thing

Last edited by AgentOrange; December 14th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.
    Bluebonnet and JazzyGirl like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information