Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Suzanne Somers takes 60 pills a day & bioidentical hormones

Elite Member

Ugh. I think I'm perimenopause. I just took a pregnancy test because I'm 3 days late. Negative, thank God. Usually I'm several days early. Ugh. I haven't been regular since I had my last child at age 36.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    but i'm not sure if that is true. what is her fsh? e2? and does it really matter? that's a lot of work to have a pseudo-period and who knows how safe it is to tinker with hormonal levels for that long. even women who do HRT to help them deal with the side effects of menopause only do the hormones for short term.
    You raise an interesting point. I've spoken at length with my doctor about this..well not Suzanne Somers but peri-meno/menopause, bio-identicals and synthetic hormone replacement therapy. This particular doctor is in a practice of three doctors has committed herself to studying menopause, it's effects on women and benefits of bio-identicals, synthetic hormones, creams, vaginal hormone therapy as well as signs and symptoms of peri and menopause that most doctors just roll their eyes at and think we're plaiin batty.

Anyhow, there is quite a lot of benefit that can be derived from these therapies if approached cautiously, correctly and monitored regularly. As I told her, and I mean it, I'd rather have five years cut off of my life then to live through what I lived through (am still going through..mildly) if I knew then what I know now.

I suppose I suffered a more extreme case of peri and meno and she said that is not unususal for tall, thin women with low body fat. I guess I could blather on forever but, I won't. I would like to add that this doctor has no problems preparing to use hormone replacement therapy, combined with bio-identicals and other supplements if she finds her symptoms as horrible as mine. She is also tall and thin and she watched her mom suffer terribly.

LIB

Hey I'll live through the night sweats, hot flashed, etc any day over putting hormones in my body that may cause me to have breast cancer again. Menopause is just a part of life but it doesn't have to end your life. I started eating some soy everyday a few years ago and am having very few symptoms of menopause even though tests show I am well into the process.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    snipped

I started eating some soy everyday a few years ago and am having very few symptoms of menopause even though tests show I am well into the process.
    I tried soy, no benefits. I am truly pleased your symptoms have been minimal.

Though I suffered from night sweats and hot flashes, compared to my other symptoms they were annoying, not debilitating.

LIB

Quote Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post
    I suppose I suffered a more extreme case of peri and meno and she said that is not unususal for tall, thin women with low body fat. I guess I could blather on forever but, I won't. I would like to add that this doctor has no problems preparing to use hormone replacement therapy, combined with bio-identicals and other supplements if she finds her symptoms as horrible as mine. She is also tall and thin and she watched her mom suffer terribly.
    If someone is using HRT and bioidenticals to ease menopausal symptoms, that's one thing.

But I have the impression that Somers is doing it for different reasons, i.e., to fool her body into thinking it's still young. And that whole "fountain of youth" aspect is kinda creepy to me.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    snipped
    But I have the impression that Somers is doing it for different reasons, i.e., to fool her body into thinking it's still young. And that whole "fountain of youth" aspect is kinda creepy to me.
    You make a valid point yet my symptoms were bad to the point of frightening.

I'm just grateful I went through the worse of it before my adult son suddenly became completely disabled. There is no way I could have taken care of him during that time in my life.

I'm 36, and I get awful hot flashes and night sweats ever since I had my complete hysterectomy last December. I feel like a piece of bacon, sizzling in the frying pan when they hit. I'm just glad that they don't last all that long, because if they lasted longer than they do, I'd go bat shit insane. I refuse to take HRT due to all the side effects, so I just deal with the hot flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Hey I'll live through the night sweats, hot flashed, etc any day over putting hormones in my body that may cause me to have breast cancer again. Menopause is just a part of life but it doesn't have to end your life. I started eating some soy everyday a few years ago and am having very few symptoms of menopause even though tests show I am well into the process.
    Amen, totally agree with you. I had a lumpectomy which turned out to be benign, but have lost two friends and another is fighting it now. I can easily live with night sweats and a red face occasionally. I don't agree with those who think they can put their bodies on hold at age 30 until the grave, I don't think we're supposed to screw with things that much. Suzanne has been married to this guy a hundred years, is he going to leave her if she starts looking her age? If he did then fuck him. And it's not like she has any career to speak of.

I think messing around with hormones like this is a dangerous thing to do. I have PCOS and for a whole year I never had a period - which practically was great but it bothered me because I felt my body was out of wack.

I think a recent study that was released this week found another link with HRT and chancer.

Fuck! If that is what it takes to maintain her "youthful" looks, I'd rather just welcome the wrinkles and mood swings. That routine is far too high maintenance. 60 pills? That must be killing her organs.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

um yeah, no thanks. i gag on my calcium pill, i can't imagine taking 60 in a day. i think thats more than the cocktails ppl with HIV have to take to stay alive! and this is just to have her periods and shit; no thanks.

Bumpitybump.

I went to a doctor at a hormone clinic today. I am starting the process of beginning BHRT. I had blood drawn and will know by next Monday what my next step will be.
    I'm hoping taking bioidential hormones from a compounding pharmacy will be the ticket. They are supposed to help with this impossible to lose belly fat, dry skin and hair, mood, low energy and I'm pretty excited that it is supposed to help prevent osteoporosis. I have been period free for 2 years. Woohoo!!! So I won't have that problem. I don't think. Gawd, I hope not.
    So I am wondering if anyone else is doing this therapy and might like to share?

I went into the early stages of menopause at 47 and now with nearly 53, I can honestly say that I went through hell with that shit. I have everything you wrote: this impossible to lose belly fat, dry skin and hair, mood, low energy and that is only the inconvinient stuff.

I honestly believe that the clinical depression I had at 50 was at least partial caused by the crazy hormones. If I have a bad day, the by far worst is the vertigo/dizziness, that takes so much energy away from me. But I also feel that it get's better now, the side effects are of course still there, but I'm not so much on the edge emotionally. I do alot of sport, that helps, too. The hot flashes are better, not 30 -40 per day, maybe 8 - 10. Last year in June, I slept through one night, THAT was strange, Hadn't happened in years due to the hot flashes, the useless brooding.

Due to a strong breastcancer and stroke disposition in my family, my doctor was against doing hormone substitution at all and no matter how bad it was, breast cancer is of course far worse. My grandmother and my father died from complications after a stroke, no thanks, I will not take any risks. I fully understand why other women would not want to go through this and it's great that there are ways around, it's just not for me.
    Last edited by Lofty Bike; July 11th, 2016 at 06:19 PM.

From what I understand, the link to breast cancer was other forms of hormones. Synthetic and horse urine estrogen. I believe the bioidenticals are considered much much safer. Since the FDA ( in the U.S) won't approve them because big pharma can't patent the natural stuff in the hormones. So there doesn't seem to be a lot of info like you would find with a major name drug.
    I'm still learning. But like a lot of things, the therapy has been well documented in European studies and the side effects are few. I will find out more when I talk to the doctor next week.

I am in Europe, looking up the bioidenticals right now .
    Good luck with your therapy, all the best!

Edit: I just read that here, people refer to US-american studies. Wild Yam is known, but there is no consens about if it is useful at all. It's available as Diosgenin oil, firmly in the homeopathy corner, not taken that serious. Of course not, standard hormone therapy makes billions for the pharma industry.
    I never tried Wild Yam, but took Monks pepper (Vitex agnus-castus) during the early stages, it did not really help when things got serious. And "St. John's wort" for the depression, which had more negative side effects for me than the far more effective Citalopram I took as part of my therapie.
    Last edited by Lofty Bike; July 11th, 2016 at 07:01 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information