Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Susan Sarandon: 'Botox frightens me'

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    yes we have. as i said above, the first approval was in 1989 and that was for ophthalmologic use, which is injected in the face.
    No, it wasn't used for cosmetic purposes, to relieve wrinkles. It hasn't been injected into other parts of the face, and at such regular intervals. So, no, we have not seen the effects.

And Newsweek has reported (last week) that it IS having a negative effect on the brain....Botox does actually travel through your bloodstream, contrary to earlier reports. Women are actually killing themselves, and giving themselves brain damage because they're too full of pride to have a wrinkle on their face.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    No, it wasn't used for cosmetic purposes, to relieve wrinkles. It hasn't been injected into other parts of the face, and at such regular intervals. So, no, we have not seen the effects.

And Newsweek has reported (last week) that it IS having a negative effect on the brain....Botox does actually travel through your bloodstream, contrary to earlier reports. Women are actually killing themselves, and giving themselves brain damage because they're too full of pride to have a wrinkle on their face.
    it's been injected in other parts of the face, but the opthth uses inject in the same parts of the face as some of the cosmetic uses, that's how doctors first got the idea to inject for cosmetic use. some of the off-label uses are ridiculous and probably not safe. but there is a lot of data for botox, some not published since allergan didn't seek approval for other uses. but these data are included in the safety summaries that go to the fda.

I know she's waiting on the edge of her seat,.....but I would get naked with her any time.....those aren't wrinkles, ladies, they are laugh lines.....I like 'em.....I got 'em....

Hit By Ban Bus!

I was looking at the botox pamphlets at my dermatologist's office (while waiting to get a biopsy done on my flesh eating lesion). I admit, I want to try it once, just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    it's been injected in other parts of the face, but the opthth uses inject in the same parts of the face as some of the cosmetic uses, that's how doctors first got the idea to inject for cosmetic use. some of the off-label uses are ridiculous and probably not safe. but there is a lot of data for botox, some not published since allergan didn't seek approval for other uses. but these data are included in the safety summaries that go to the fda.

One word for "FDA Approval".....Vioxx.....

Sorry, but I don't believe she's had implants, maybe a lift, but not implants. I think her boobs have naturally grown with age and childbearing.

WHen I was in my late teens/early 20s I had a large A/small B-cup. Now that I've had two kids, put on 20 pounds and hit 40, I'm now a large D. And they are still perky because I've taken care of them, wearing only the best bras. Are you going to accuse me of implants?

ETA: And you should see my mother. She was Founder and President of the itty bitty tittie committee back in the day and now she's got serious JUGS. Granted, she's heavy now, but she's not obese, nor has she had implants.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The Newsweek article is here:

A New Reason to Frown | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

It's ignorant to think that there's not something ugly (pun intended) coming down the road when you insist on putting toxins into your face.

from the article you posted:
    Something else that can be seen in a different light is the hospitalizations and deaths that have been reported following Botox injections. In 2005 scientists at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration analyzed 1,437 such "adverse events" between 1989, when Botox was approved for eye spasms, and 2003. Most came from people who got Botox to erase their wrinkles, but the 28 deaths occurred in people who had received it for medical purposes. The FDA didn't do much in response, but since then it has been getting new reports of serious adverse reactions in people receiving Botox, and launched a safety review. An analysis of the FDA's database by the advocacy group Public Citizen found 16 deaths from Botox or Myobloc. Most involved children with serious diseases like cerebral palsy, who got the injections for muscle spasms (an unapproved, though legal, use). But the agency has "evidence that [serious reactions and even death] can happen in a broader population," said the FDA's Russell Katz. "Is it possible with cosmetic use? Possibly."
    well, most people receiving botox do so for cosmetic reasons, so that could explain why most cases of adverse reactions are from people who got botox for wrinkles. but the most serious cases were for medical use. i'm on the fence about botox and yes, as with all procedures there are risks, and the article says there is new evidence but that's hardly the same as stating that 'women are actually killing themselves'. the worst the article says is that it's possible.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Yeah, it's a hyperbole, but you don't know, it's possible that in a few years, it might not be hyperole anymore.

Women are, however, mutilating their faces and bodies for the sake of being hot and somehow "ageless." It's a scary time.

Maybe her tits got bigger with weight gain and being preggers. I have no idea. I kind of like her, she seems nice.

Has anyone else heard rumours that Tim Robbins is violent to her?

Slightly off topic but not really, I just accompanied a friend with a brain tumor (which statistically has a very grim prognosis) on her appointments with a new medical team at a prestigious cancer center. After bragging about how women in her family don't age (thanks to extensive plastic surgery in her case mind you) and seriously bitching out a nurse who mistook me for her daughter (I'm 15 years younger), she asked the doctor and physician's assistant if she could resume botox on her face. I was a bit taken aback as was the doctor who told her to hold off. I understand she's not feeling or looking her best these days but come on, I think the doctors are more interested in saving her life as she should be! It was just a strange scene and a sad commentary on how women are somewhat socialized to prioritize their appearance over more important matters like finances and health!
    Last edited by qwerty; May 3rd, 2008 at 11:10 PM.

czb

The Newsweek article is here:

A New Reason to Frown | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

It's ignorant to think that there's not something ugly (pun intended) coming down the road when you insist on putting toxins into your face.
    i think it's ignorant to misquote newsweek as a source for scientific matters, i prefer JAMA, AJE, and the like. as i've said before, i rely on the actual scientific safety summaries, not the psuedo-science that popular magazines cite. and also as i have stated above, off-label use is always an issue. and many of the cases that the newsweek article cites are off-label (what the article calls 'unaproved'). i don't advocate its cosmetic use, but i do believe that botox has a place for medical (eg, opthalmologic) purposes.

^Um, okay. It's not like I quoted the National Enquirer. And I maintain that using Botox for cosmetic purposes is going to have some serious horrible effects in the future. We haven't seen it yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information