Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Susan Lucci escapes Grim Reaper by going to General Hospital

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    My mom had the widow maker. By the time she figured it out, it was too late.

Magnesium is better for your bones than calcium.
    I'm so sorry to hear this about your mom.

Glad to hear LaLucci is OK. Nothing can fell Erica Kane!

Omgosh, I'm so glad she's okay. I adore her. Loved her as Erica Kane. She and Dimitri were the goat of soap couples imo.
    ConstanceSpry and Mrs P like this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Lindsey has vocal chord damage from the surgery (intubation I guess?). Not sure if itís permanent yet.

My dad had a widow maker at 44. Thankfully it happened in the ER and they were able to resuscitate him after nearly 2 minutes. He then had a quadruple bypass with all 4 at 90% and above blockages.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Genetics can be a real bitch and no matter how you take care of yourself, you still end up with something like this. I have high BP due to genetics and nothing else.
    Mrs P likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

My family history is horrible. My father and both his parents had heart attacks young as did my fathers youngest sister . My maternal great grandparents both died at 55 from heart attacks so did their son. Iím just waiting for my turn.

A lot of it is genetics. My cousin just had a quadruple bypass at 57, she’s not overweight, never smoked, barely drinks, lives a pretty healthy life. She’s been having stomach issues for years but they never found anything other than gastritis. EKG and blood tests came back normal, stress test too. By pure chance her stomach doctor was very thorough and said her stomach pain sounded suspicious and she should have a more specific heart workup, and that’s when they found it. Luckily her heart itself is actually very healthy but her arteries were so blocked they couldn’t put in stents and she had to have open heart, quadruple bypass.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 12th, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Speaking of genetics, my total cholesterol level shot up 20 points on my last doctor's visit (compared to a year ago). I have not done anything crazy to nudge that needle either. I have a 32-inch waist, flat stomach, exercise 5 times a week, have a low-fat diet, and almost never drink more than 1 beer a night. I'm PISSED!. Mrs Mo wants me to schedule an out of cycle blood test to see if the last one was a fluke.
    Mrs P likes this.

That sucks, Mo! But just recently I read an article about about low-fat diets and it actually doesn't really help with lowering the cholesterol level. But what did the doctor say? You need to do anything about it?
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    That sucks, Mo! But just recently I read an article about about low-fat diets and it actually doesn't really help with lowering the cholesterol level. But what did the doctor say? You need to do anything about it?
    The funny thing is that after my results came in, my doctor's office sent to my home answering machine (three times) a message to say to eat a low-fat diet.

^^^Yes. My doc looked at me with worried eyes and told me to "really, really really" cut it down on the meat and fat sausages. Being a vegetarian, I was a little confused. Still, my cholesterol is never under 290, rather over 310.

Your doctor will know best, Mo. The article was more about people who ate all those light-crap substitutes that has a ton of ingredients you can't even pronounce properly. And of course that isn't healthy at all.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    ^^^Yes. My doc looked at me with worried eyes and told me to "really, really really" cut it down on the meat and fat sausages. Being a vegetarian, I was a little confused. Still, my cholesterol is never under 290, rather over 310.
    That's high. I'm at 270 and the doctor prescribed meds.

Again, genetics. Not saying lifestyle doesnít count at all but a lot of people are predisposed and have higher cholesterol despite a healthy diet and not eating meat, while others can eat sausage all day and have no problem at all. Your doctor should also measure your good cholesterol because the ratio of good/bad cholesterol is also very important.
    palta likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^
    It is genetics.
    A couple of years ago it was at 250 so I changed what I could (it wasn't much), and went down like 20 points.
    With medication, small dosis and only 3 times a week, it went down to 150.

yeah most of my best friend's family are like that on her father's side. my best friend was a pescetarian most of her life, only recently started eating chicken in addition to fish and only because her doctor suggested it because she's prone to anemia. her cholesterol has always been high despite healthy eating and daily exercise, she's thin, etc. her dad has it too and he's skinny and a health food nut, like my friend. my friend's sister, on the other hand, takes after their mom, she's just as thin but she's a red meat eater like their mom and she's got very low cholesterol, like their mom, despite the fact that they live on red meat and pastries basically lol

kinda like my dad's side of the family they all have a major sweet tooth and can eat a whole bag of candy in one sitting and not even get grossed out, and their blood sugar is fine, whereas my mom's side of the family get type 2 diabetes and they have a healthier diet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information