Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Susan Boyle suffers breakdown after shock loss and admitted to clinic

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Did they? What mental problems? i didn't know that
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbNkQfnnjZc[/YOUTUBE]

Piers Morgan revealed that she had been oxygen deprived during birth and that it had left her with 'learning disabilities'. I suppose that was a nice way of saying she was developmentally delayed or mildly retarded. This came out shortly after the swearing incident, when Piers asked the press to back off and leave hear alone. He also made references to her having lived a hard life.

It came out shortly after that she wanted to quit. The producers whisked her off to an undisclosed location where she would be away from the media, and I assume talked her into going through with the show. I assume that the 18.5 million viewers the final show got had something to do with their decision. Let's face it, even though Diversity won, the story was that Boyle didn't. After the swearing incident a major source of suspense around the final was 'how will she take it if she doesn't win?'

Now knowing she had problems and not only letting her on the show, but pushing her to continue when she wanted to stop, would be highly irresponsible. Even more so if the thinking behind that was 'the Forrest Gump angle is just gonna be ratings gold - the public will eat it up'.

Now I'm not a fan of reality TV in general, nor Simon Cowell in particular (I believe Mick Hucknall called him 'the devil'). However the excuse with shows like American Idol is that the contestants are supposed to be smart enough to know what they're getting into and tough enough to take it. "We're adults here so if you get hurt it's your own fault". I don't think you can say that in Susan Boyle's case. This time I think Cowell & Co went way too far. In effect what he was doing was toying with a retarded woman for the purpose of creating public spectacle.

Something to think about - if Boyle's breakdown had actually been a suicide attempt, how anxious do you think Simon Cowell would be to cover that up, so that he wouldn't come across looking like the huge turd he actually is? It takes a lot of success and money to justify your existence on the planet when you're as shitty as Cowell.

Last edited by AgentOrange; June 1st, 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Silver Member

I read somewhere that Susan Boyle was approached by the producers and asked to take part... She didn't just turn up to an audition off her own bat. That makes it even more sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeareuk View Post

I'm a UKer, and I couldn't agree with you more. The British press is particularly notorious for being quite nasty in this respect. I liken them to vultures "gunning after prey"

Nuff said
    One reason why I moved to the UK for entertainment law is because of how bad the papers are. There are always lawsuits over the crap they publish.

Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    One reason why I moved to the UK for entertainment law is because of how bad the papers are. There are always lawsuits over the crap they publish.
    You work in the legal profession as well?
    Live Well,
    Laugh Often,
    Love Much!

Quote Originally Posted by Manboob View Post
    I read somewhere that Susan Boyle was approached by the producers and asked to take part... She didn't just turn up to an audition off her own bat. That makes it even more sinister.
    Yeah, I've heard that too - seems like standard practice for these TV 'talent' shows.

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    Something tells me the Queen would have enjoyed Susan's performance more than some dance group too.
    Susan is average to me, or above average, but nothing special. The Queen will have heard it all before. Diversity aren't just 'some dance group' - they put originality into their routines, I think if they make a Royal-themed dance she'd love it. But then again I'm biased, as I've said before I love Diversity.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Talent star Boyle taken to clinic

Susan Boyle was runner-up in the talent show on Saturday night

Britain's Got Talent runner-up Susan Boyle has been taken to a private London clinic with exhaustion.
    The Scottish singing sensation is said to be drained and exhausted after losing out to dance group Diversity on the ITV1 reality show.
    Her brother, Gerry, told the BBC that Susan was "fine" but feeling homesick. "Susan just wants to come home and see her cat," he said.
    Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been among those wishing the star well.
    "I hope Susan Boyle is OK because she is a really, really nice person and I think she will do well," he told GMTV.
    He had added that he had spoken to Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan to check on Boyle's progress.

Speaking on GMTV, Gordon Brown said he hoped Susan Boyle 'was okay'.

Downing Street said Mr Brown had been concerned about her welfare - although he did not vote for her after watching Saturday's final.
    Rest and recovery
    On Sunday, it emerged Boyle was taking time off on the advice of a doctor.
    Television company TalkbackThames released a statement: "Following Saturday night's show, Susan is exhausted and emotionally drained.
    "She has been seen by her private GP who supports her decision to take a few days out for rest and recovery."
    "We offer her our ongoing support and wish her a speedy recovery."
    At 1800 BST, officers were called to a London hotel where doctors were assessing a woman under the Mental Health Act, Scotland Yard said.
    A woman was taken voluntarily by ambulance to a clinic, police said.
    The Sun newspaper reported that Boyle was at The Priory Clinic, but the institution said it could "neither confirm nor deny the reports."
    'Emotionally drained'
    Boyle became an international singing sensation after first performing I Dreamed A Dream in the contest, a song she reprised for the final.
    Her performances have attracted millions of hits on video-sharing websites and led to an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show.
    Britain's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan told GMTV that the attention Boyle received has been "crazy" and "nobody could have predicted it".
    He said she had been subjected to huge pressure, but was "essentially fine".

"She was very tired and hasn't been sleeping. She has just gone away to have some time to herself and to sleep and eat, doing all the things she hasn't been able to do in the last week," he added.
    The show's winners, Diversity, said Boyle had been very gracious in defeat, congratulating and joking with them backstage.
    "I feel for her because she had a lot of hype around her and she didn't ask for it," the group's choreographer, Ashley Banjo, told ITV1's This Morning.
    "She's going to have a great career anyway, and I wish her well in whatever she does. She's a really nice lady."
    Fellow contestants Stavros Flatley - aka Demetrious Demetriou and his son Michalakis "Lagi" Andreas - told BBC Radio 5 Live's Victoria Derbyshire show they could sympathise with Boyle's situation.

"It's really, really tiring and even Lagi's not too well this morning so we said that he wasn't going to go to school," said Mr Demetriou.
    "It's just so draining. They did warn us, they did say to us it's such an adrenaline rush and you got to be really careful the next couple of days after."
    Publicist Max Clifford said people in Boyle's situation "need people around them to understand how the business works."
    He added that "everyone connected to the show has a responsibility" to help contestants, but its makers - including Simon Cowell - would be aware of this.
    Fred O'Neil, one of Boyle's friends who was her voice coach, said it was a "sad situation".
    "She just was caught up in all of this and I think that she will never have had an idea, at the beginning, the price that she might have to pay."
    BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Talent star Boyle taken to clinic

I find it interesting that they used the Mental Health Act to get her in....

Boyle is still a winner..... Scottish PM BBC NEWS | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Susan Boyle is still 'a winner'

Elite Member

Default re

Poor lady.

I think it raises some questions about the way BGT & American Idol does business. For instance do they have any kind of screening process to determine who should get on the air? If some one with a history of depression or mental illness gets into an emotionally charged situation like that, you could wind up with a real mess on your hands.

When Paula Abdul's stalker killed herself outside Abdul's house, she mentioned that the person had been on American Idol, that the person's history was known, and in her words she felt the producers hadn't protected her. The whole thing didn't do much for the stalker either. The show's response seemed to be to recast Abdul from 'the nice one' into 'the drunk'. It can't be too difficult for AI & BGT to have a couple of shrinks on staff.

Elite Member

Default re

I'm sure they do some type of screening and provide some type of support. I think in this case they just saw $$ and underestimated the impact of so much attention on one person--even when most of it was positive.

Get well soon Susan.

They should make this a reality show about Boyle getting treatment. I mean, they can do the whole shebang, her history, her career progression, stunning "debut" and then her hard fall, rehab, then Broadway headlines for another comeback.

I am still shocked that no one is planning to do a Susan Boyle biopic on t.v. or movie, and where is her darned biography already?

Can't get enough of her.

SuBo: The Makeover...
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    i'm going to have to agree with piers.. i watched the final via satellite and it was clear that susan was one ball of stress when the votes were coming in. that final meant everything to her and losing it must have come as a huge shock.

i hope she gets the help she needs & can make a speedy recovery. and i wish her all the best. i still think she has an amazing voice.
    Calcifer is your name from howls moving castle?

As for Susan, I hope she recovers and makes some kind of career or enough money to pay off her house. Even if she is a bit "not quite there", it was wonderful her talent was recognized and she got to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I just find it sad how people build someone up so much just to watch them fall. Its really disturbing to me. I don't mean this as an insult to our posters in the UK, but it just seems like the paps, the tabloids, the media is much more bloodthirsty there, I was watching a special and man, the paps there were just cruel to her, taunting her while they followed her around. I couldn't imagine why except that they wanted her to go off the rails and do something drastic. Its almost like they take a morbid delight in it. Its really very sad to watch, she's just a frail older woman who never hurt anyone, she just went on a TV show.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    However the excuse with shows like American Idol is that the contestants are supposed to be smart enough to know what they're getting into and tough enough to take it. "We're adults here so if you get hurt it's your own fault". I don't think you can say that in Susan Boyle's case. This time I think Cowell & Co went way too far. In effect what he was doing was toying with a retarded woman for the purpose of creating pubic spectacle.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. I don't think this has made the US news because this is all new to me- i never heard before that there was anything wrong with her.

I still feel sad for her- I hope somehow she gets to perform for the Queen anyway. She's been through so much trying to make it happen- it just seems like the right thing to do. But of course, only if she is mentally/emotionally able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I'm sure they do some type of screening and provide some type of support. I think in this case they just saw $$ and underestimated the impact of so much attention on one person--even when most of it was positive.
    You think so? I really doubt that. I think the producers are probably like 'you're crazy? Ratings gold! You're in!'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information