Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Surfer Rescues DROWNING Anne Hathaway From A Riptide In Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    I grew up vacationing in Hawaii at lest once a year, I remember my dad having his swimming trucks torn off while body surfing in the gigantic waves. I do think people underestimate what it feels like when the water takes over and pulls you out or under. I will swim in the ocean, but never turn my back on it and I try to stick to areas which are predictable from past experience.
    I think that this is also the time of year when Oahu's north shore comes alive and becomes a surfer's haven with its big waves. When we were there in August (years ago), North Shore was like a bathtub at that time of year.

Sandy Beach on Oahu has some of the fiercest non-storm waves I've ever seen. It's so treacherous that when we were there all military personnel were banned from using the beach. I tried to ride a boogie board in the waves there but was almost annihilated when the wave broke on beach. Mrs. Mohandas couldn't even get INTO the water. She was wearing this awesome tiny blue bikini and I think she was worried that by the time she made it past the waves, her swimsuit would be about 100 feet away from her. Just before we left, we watched our 5-year-old niece get knocked off her feet by a rogue wave that broke about 20 feet farther in shore than the other waves. We laughed at her, but the last laugh was on us because we had our backs turned and another wave came and knocked three of us off our feet. Below is a picture of a typical breaking wave.

And a video of what it's like to surf it:
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Exactly, you need to know when and where it is predictably safe to go into deeper water. Even then, there is only so much you can predict.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Exactly, you need to know when and where it is predictably safe to go into deeper water. Even then, there is only so much you can predict.
    The same day we were on Sandy Beach, there was a Japanese family set up about 10 feet from us. Mom and dad and at least two kids.

Anyway, at one point, we were sitting on our towels in the sand, and two young guys both dragged the Japanese son (about 15) out of the water. They each had an arm wrapped around their shoulders so they could drag him up together. Then, they laid him out on the towel. For some reason, I wasn't watching after that but Mrs. Mohandas told me that about 5 minutes later, an ambulance showed up, and emergency personnel put a brace around his neck and took him away on a stretcher. She said the dad was crying, the mom was crying, the sisters were crying.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The same day we were on Sandy Beach, there was a Japanese family set up about 10 feet from us. Mom and dad and at least two kids.

Anyway, at one point, we were sitting on our towels in the sand, and two young guys both dragged the Japanese son (about 15) out of the water. They each had an arm wrapped around their shoulders so they could drag him up together. Then, they laid him out on the towel. For some reason, I wasn't watching after that but Mrs. Mohandas told me that about 5 minutes later, an ambulance showed up, and emergency personnel put a brace around his neck and took him away on a stretcher. She said the dad was crying, the mom was crying, the sisters were crying.
    So scary! And sad...especially while on vacation.
    My ex was kind of a daredevil and would do the stupid things that non-locals would do and probably shouldn't be doing, like flipping off of high rocks into lagoons and swimming out way beyond where anyone else was swimming. One time, I was in the shallow water watching him swim back in from way on the other side of a reef (which kept the beach protected from huge waves and sharks--so they say) and I noticed he wasn't swimming leisurely in, but was pretty much powering through the water faster than I had ever seen him move. When he got up to where I was he ran straight past me and out of the water telling me to "get out!!!". I got out, but was wondering wth was wrong with him and he told me that he had cut his foot on some coral and it started to bleed and he was afraid it would draw sharks. I can laugh about it only because of how comical he looked, Mr. Afraid-of-nothing, but genuinely afraid of sharks!
    The worst water accident I have been witness to took place at a pool. A girl was up on one of the high diving boards and some kids were jigging it from behind her near the stairs, she fell off and hit the concrete. I'm not sure if she hit her head, her body, wholly or partially, because they quickly evacuated all of us kids from the pool. I don't go on diving boards, ever.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information