Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Straight out of his show The Affair - Dominic West spotted kissing Lily James

^^^ Don't forget the Jutes! (I heard it a thousand times from my mom, the Scottish Georgetown European history scholar.... )
    Novice likes this.

Yeah we wouldn't want to brush the Jutes under the rug.....
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

I'm very pale (VERY), green eyes, naturally mousey brown hair, freckles. My mum is Scottish and my Dad's side of the family is Irish and my god you can tell. Especially when I go pink in the sun.
    Novice and palta like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

^^^ My mom's side of the family is VERY Scottish - both grandparents had Scottish surnames. My dad was half Irish (his mom's parent came straight over on the boat). And my mom's brother teases us about our Irish ancestry so much, my parents' marriage almost sounds like an interracial relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    ^^^ My mom's side of the family is VERY Scottish - both grandparents had Scottish surnames. My dad was half Irish (his mom's parent came straight over on the boat). And my mom's brother teases us about our Irish ancestry so much, my parents' marriage almost sounds like an interracial relationship.
    Well Scotland is all proddys & Catholics like Ireland used to be. It's a massive deal (or used to be - even 10-20 years ago) do I guess that could be some of it.
    There is also a big Irish contingent in Scotland....

Elite Member

Very few Spanish sailors survived the Armada's landings on the shores of Ireland. It's thought less than 300 survived those boats lost along the Irish coast or the handful that safely put into ports. Nearly all of the 300 were killed as soon as they were discovered, even those "of quality" were condemned by the English order to kill all on sight. The academic research supports the oral/written history of the time- few Spanish survived and those that did high tailed it back to Spain ASAP. One famous captain that survived took an Irish wife back to Spain.

With a few thousand years of foreign invasions and settlers, I think the "Black Irish" are a mix of Vikings, Romans basically for everywhere, Normans, Scottish, English, and no doubt for a really, really small percentage a few straggler Spaniards.

Do you guys remember Phil Lynott from the band, Thin Lizzy ("Boys are back in town")? I remember thinking a long time ago that he was a great example of Black Irish, but it turned out his dad (Cecil Parris) was from Guyana and his mom (Philomena Lynott) gave Phil her last name (and part of her first, when you think about it).

Well I'm dark like the name (and like my soul) and I've been mistaken for about a half a dozen things (or being mixed with those things) but other than a tiny sliver I'm all european, so apparently we're not all blond and clear eyed pale skinned whitey mcwhites.
    Novice and Lalasnake like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I get my red hair from the Irish side of the family (the Scots side are all mousey blondes according to mum) but my eyebrows and lashes are very dark instead of red.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

You are a lucky red head! A lot of them have pale blond eyelashes and brows.
    Kittylady and czb like this.

My mom was a true redhead, not strawberry blonde and not auburn. Her parents were Polish and Slovak. She had a brother who was strawberry blonde. He married a dark haired Polish woman and had a strawberry blonde and an auburn. 2 other kids with brown hair. My mom married a dark-haired Irish/English and had 2 brown haired girls. She really wanted a redhead.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Red hair is a recessive gene mutation. My mom is a true redhead, my dad would be classed "Black Irish", my sister is a blonde. I was blonde until about age 5 when my hair turned a rusty red color. My mom's hair has faded out to a really beautiful strawberry blonde.

No one else on either side of the family is a true redhead in the 3 living generations- bunch of strawberry blondes, shades of browns and blondes, and handful of nearly black hair. All of us cousins have had fingers crossed when having kids.

My dads side it Scottish. My great grandpa came here from Scotland at the turn of the century and had the full red hair and Scottish brogue. My moms side is from northern Germany, by Denmark. Although everyone is dark haired with the exception of my blonde grandfather and blonde grandmother, who hooked up to make all blonde children.

You know I don’t tan.
    Novice likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information