Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Straight out of his show The Affair - Dominic West spotted kissing Lily James

I read one of his interviews back in 2005; he's quite full of himself...
    Two minutes after I arrive in Dominic West’s house, he’s asking me why wives make such a fuss over infidelity.
    “I mean, I think women should be more indulgent of affairs,” he says as he me makes me a cup of tea.

“I really do. It’s daft to kick someone out over a fling. Isn’t it? Everyone should turn a blind eye to men’s behaviour between the ages of 40 and 50. Let it all blow over.” He pauses. “Milk and sugar?”

Whether he believes this or not I’m not sure. The 46-year-old star of The Affair and The Wire certainly likes to provoke. He rolls around in controversial statements like a dog in fox poo.

A week ago I saw him host a fundraising quiz at the Bush Theatre in Shepherd’s Bush and he told the raffle winner — whose prize was a shopping spree in Westfield — “Rather you than me. Make sure you take a bomb-proof vest.”

Today we’re discussing Letters Live, a week of shows that started last night at the Freemasons’ Hall organised by publisher Jamie Byng of Canongate Books.

West will be on stage on Tuesday reading the “poignant” last letter Peter Sellers wrote to Spike Milligan.

While I sit he stands in the middle of his sitting room, bear-like, radiating presence, scooping hummus out of a pot using a hunk of bread and talking with his mouth full.
    He has a deep and filthy laugh, describes his hair as like “Virginia Wade’s”, and says overall he looks “like an old Jewish lesbian”.
    “Anyway, what is it I’m supposed to be saying?” he calls to the PR in another room. “Something about a matinee on Saturday?”

To me: “There’s a matinee.” To the other room: “Who’s in it? Jude Law? God, you don’t need me to publicise it if Jude Law’s in it. Who else? Russell Brand, Ellie Bamber, Sir Ian McKellen.”

He shoots me a smirk. “Ooooh, I like Sir Ian,” he says. “Gave me my first film job, actually. Richard III. But whenever I see him I start talking about how big his d**k is.
    "I don’t know why. It’s embarrassing. A tic. But then he loves it because apparently he has got a big d**k and the more people who know it the better. Anyway,” he continues, “it’ll be a very well-hung matinee.”
    It’s hard to tell whether this is just what West is like or if he’s spent too much time with declamatory posh people.

He was educated at Eton and Trinity Dublin and his wife Catherine is an Anglo-Irish aristocrat who he fell in love with at university, and re-met after her marriage to the Earl of Durham collapsed.

He’s about as far from prickly, precious Hollywood as you can get. He’ll always go for the gag, even if it falls flat.
    For instance, he remembers being decorated with an honorary doctorate at Sheffield Hallam University.

“I thought I should make a joke about Sheffield, so I said: ‘I was taken around Baltimore with the writer of The Wire who was showing me this derelict tower block where the lift was broken and smelt of pee, and we looked out over the derelict steel works, across empty rows of houses, to the stadium of a football team languishing in the lower divisions, and he turned to me and said, Isn’t it terrible?

"And I said: No, it’s just like home. I thought everybody in Sheffield would erupt with laughter. There was silence. F**king tumbleweed. The university official said: You haven’t been to Sheffield for a while, have you, Dominic? No, I said. Sorry.’”
    But even today he can’t wholly take it back. “Thing is,” he whispers, “anywhere in the world with a beautiful blue sky seems to beat the misery of a drizzly day in a high-rise in Sheffield.

"I’ve just been to Jordan to visit a refugee camp…” Dominic! I cry. No. He grins wolfishly. Interviewees usually need to be goaded. West, you’re dragging back from the minefield.
    None of this has stopped him landing juicy blockbuster roles, though.
    He’s starred alongside Julianne Moore in Surviving Picasso, Toni Collette in Diana & Me, Michelle Pfeiffer in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and then there was 28 Days, which I tell him I’ve seen.
    He winces. “Dreadful, dreadful script,” he says, “but it had Julia Roberts and that’s why it was popular.”

Er, I don’t think it was Julia Roberts, I say. “Wasn’t it?” He looks at the ceiling. “Oh, sorry. That one was Sandra Bullock. It wasn’t so bad, was it?
    "It’s the Julia Roberts one that was dreadful. What was it called? Mona Lisa Smile. God, I played an a**ehole. I did a few a**eholes.”

There was a brief stint in “a circus-y rave thing” with the De La Guarda troupe and an avant-garde Argentinian director, which he claims was his “best job ever”. “Then I got The Wire and it propelled me into obscurity.”

Actually, the Wire was the most critically acclaimed of all his roles, a drama set in the housing projects in Baltimore, in which he played a chaotic, alcoholic cop called Jimmy McNulty.
    “It never got any television awards,” he says. “Not one. As I kept telling the producers: there’s too many black people in it.”
    So the industry is racist? “Of course it’s bl**dy racist, that’s old news,” he says. “But racist makes it sounds as if people are being lynched. I suppose those people like to watch shows about themselves.

"My sister is a doctor. She’ll come home from work and watch ER, and you think ‘why?’ And I suppose most people in the industry are white people and they like watching white people.”
    For all his brass, West has always been sensitive about his education. In the past he’s shrugged it off, playing up his northern roots, saying he was “a fish out of water” and that his accent was mocked.
    But his contemporaries remember a very popular pupil with a gift for acting so great that his portrayal of Hamlet aged 17 inspired Damian Lewis (in the year below) to take up the profession too.

“Yeeeees,” West admits. “Damian was saved a lot of grief by just being proud of his background instead of embarrassed. It was such a waste of time being ashamed of it.
    "I used to get paranoid, and upset about being pigeonholed. But everyone is, and if you have to be pigeonholed it’s a nice one to have. Damian,” he reflects, “was always wise.”
    So what was his background? Dominic Gerard Francis Eagleton West grew up a Catholic in “a big old suburban house on the edge of the moors in Derbyshire”, and his father George owned a plastics factory.

As the sixth of seven children he was “anonymous” but could “get away with things” — “although the hierarchy maintains. I know my place: sixth. Second last.”
    Childhood involved gambolling around fields, dressing up and playing crowd scenes with his siblings in the local amateur dramatics, to which his mother was devoted. “I think she played all Shakespeare’s heroines.”
    Family summers were “package holidays” to Majorca . “All seven of us, with about 20 suitcases. My dad took cereal and milk, and all the things you couldn’t get out there, and God the f**king logistics! The airport chaos! I have no idea how they did it.

“My mother always said: ‘Oh, well, you only ever have two kids. Then they start looking after each other. I guarantee that is not the case.”
    West has five children, ranging from the 17-year-old daughter he had with ex-girlfriend Polly Astor, to the four he has with Catherine, aged nine, seven, six and two.
    Is he still a practising Catholic? “Not really, no,” he says. He took his eldest to the Brompton Oratory the other day to hear the music, “which I still love”. “She said: ‘Dad, this is creepy and weird’.”

He also tried taking the little ones to Mass “because that’s what I used to do, and because I wanted them to learn to sit still. They were bored stiff. Then I had the brilliant idea of telling them what was going on.
    “I said, ‘you know what the priest is doing, don’t you?’ And my little boy shook his head. I said, ‘He’s eating Jesus. Eating Jesus! And now he’s going to drink Jesus’s blood.’ My son was rapt.

“I’d always found the idea of transubstantiation a bit abstract but it’s just cannibalism. I said: ‘And now he’s going to chop up and eat some of Jesus’s flesh. See that? I’m going to go and get some, do you want to come?’”

At 46, West is about as happy as he’s ever been. In part because of work “but mainly ’cos of her and the kiddies,” he says, indicating with his elbow to where Catherine is playing with their toddler.
    Their car number plate is a marginally more sophisticated version of Dom 4 Cat and he laughs at that.
    “I fell in love with her when I was 21 and she fell in love with me about eight months ago, when she realised all other options had been exhausted and she had four kids.”

In truth, his womanising days are long over. He has often spoken about how much he hurt Astor with his carousing while filming The Wire.
    “That got a lot of things out of my system — hopefully,” he says. “And now I just act it. There are a lot of sex scenes in The Affair. If Catherine was in something like that I would not be happy. But she’s OK with it. She’s cool.”
    Do you watch it together? “Oh, f**k no!” he says. “She saw a bit of it on the plane once, and I saw a bit of it on the plane. Neither of us watches it. Can’t bear to — although apparently it’s quite good.”

Instead he watches documentaries (“TV drama is too daunting”) and reads nature books by Roger Deakin. He’d like to do another film, possibly with Ruben Östlund, director of Force Majeure.
    “He’s really good at those difficult moral dilemmas and embarrassing situations.”
    West is grinning madly now. “He said to me, ‘I love embarrassing situations’. And I said, ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah, so do I!’ So hopefully something will come of that.”
    rollo and palta like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I watched most of Rebecca on Netflix last week without knowing this. I love the Hitchcock Rebecca and the one with Charles Dance in the 90s was okay but Diana Rigg as Mrs. Danvers was great. Kristen Scott Thomas is this Mrs. Danvers but I felt she was phoning it in - and I always like her. Armie Hammer was miscast. Lily played the new Mrs DeWinter as expected, mousy, insecure. I didn't get any chemistry between them. Has he ever had chemistry with anyone?
    with himself, as the winklevoss twins
    he was also genuinely good in 'call me by your name' and had pretty great chemistry with timothée chalamet
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I watched most of Rebecca on Netflix last week without knowing this. I love the Hitchcock Rebecca and the one with Charles Dance in the 90s was okay but Diana Rigg as Mrs. Danvers was great. Kristen Scott Thomas is this Mrs. Danvers but I felt she was phoning it in - and I always like her. Armie Hammer was miscast. Lily played the new Mrs DeWinter as expected, mousy, insecure. I didn't get any chemistry between them. Has he ever had chemistry with anyone?
    Ooh, Charles Dance & Diana Rigg, I'll have to check that out. The Lily James Rebecca was beautifully filmed, but it did feel like it was missing the suspense of the original. I didn't realize until this movie how much Kristen Scott Thomas & Jane Lynch look alike.
    BITTER likes this.

My narc-dar just exploded reading that interview.

At your own risk: Fuck and run. Do NOT marry and push out a passel of kids with.
    sputnik, Novice and Kittylady like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    My narc-dar just exploded reading that interview.

At your own risk: Fuck and run. Do NOT marry and push out a passel of kids with.
    I heard on Who Weekly that he vowed to live in that castle as a kid & ended up marrying the heiress who owns the castle. <_< That's kinda sus. It screams The Little Stranger to me.

'She's struggling to make a decision': Dominic West's wife Catherine FitzGerald 'holds crisis talks with her family over the future of her marriage' after THOSE Lily James pictures

• Insiders report Catherine, 49, is deciding the future of her relationship
    • Catherine put on a united front with Dominic, 51, as the couple posed together 24 hours after the cosy photos with Lily, 31, emerged
    • The landscape artist is now said to be seeking advice from her sisters Nesta, an illustrator, and Honor, an actress, at their family home in Ireland
    • In the wake of the scandal, Catherine flew into Shannon airport in County Clare, Ireland and travelled to her family castle 50 miles away
    • Dominic and Catherine have four children together; daughter Dora, 13, son Senan, 12, son Francis, 11, and daughter Christabel, seven

By SEAN O'GRADY FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 00:01, 28 October 2020 | UPDATED: 08:17, 28 October 2020

Dominic West's wife Catherine FitzGerald has reportedly held crisis talks with her family over the future of her marriage.
    Catherine, 49, was said to have been left devastated when photos emerged of her husband, 51, cannoodling with his The Pursuit of Love co-star Lily James, 31, during a romantic weekend in Rome, Italy.
    As the snaps - taken on Sunday 11 October - stunned fans around the world, two days later, the actor was seen to put on a defiant display of unity in a smug photo opportunity with Catherine outside their Wiltshire home.
    Despite their defiant display, insiders claim Catherine, who shares Dora, 13, Senan, 12, Francis, 11, and Christabel, seven, with the actor, is now at her family home in County Limerick, Ireland where she is deciding the future of her marriage.

+7

Relationship: Dominic West's wife Catherine FitzGerald has reportedly held crisis talks with her family over the future of her marriage

Earlier this month, Dominic and Catherine's marriage became the subject of worldwide scrutiny, when the images emerged showing the actor and Lily enjoying an al fresco lunch with their mutual agent, Angharad Wood.
    In the images Dominic appeared to nuzzle her neck while they sat at the table before zipping around on a scooter together in fits of giggles, snapping pictures of local sites and putting on an increasingly cosy display.

Just days later, the couple put on their bizarrely defiant display and insisted all was well, however, Catherine is now said to be seeking advice from her sisters Nesta, an illustrator, and Honor, an actress, in regards to her marital future.
    A source told The Sun: 'She's holed up in her family's ancestral home, Glin Castle in County Limerick, thinking everything over.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8886535/Dominic-Wests-wife-Catherine-FitzGerald-holds-crisis-talks-family.html
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Ruuuuuun!
    Lalasnake and weathered1 like this.
    -

He really sounds improperly medicated. And once again, she is freaking luscious.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    He really sounds improperly medicated. And once again, she is freaking luscious.
    Seriously - way hotter than Lily James. His wife is hot. He's a dumbass.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Plus he has four kids with her.
    firebrat1229 likes this.

assuming they don't have an arrangement, she seriously thought having 4 kids with him was a good idea despite the fact he's obviously a man whore who can't keep it in his pants?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Catholic.

i'm afraid that limits the extent of my sympathy toward her. just like the dumbass kennedy women...

czb

i don't know much about this guy, i barely remember him from the Wire. but in the interview pic on the top of this page, he totally reminds me of this creeper guy who stalked/harrassed me at my first perm job. he had the same penetrating stare and i'm sure he thought it was sexy, but totally icked out my young 20s self. yuck. i feel icked out remembering it 30+ years later.

Quote Originally Posted by firebrat1229 View Post
    Seriously - way hotter than Lily James. His wife is hot. He's a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Plus he has four kids with her.
    Huge accomplishment - having four kids in like 6 years and actually coming out the other side even better looking.
    firebrat1229 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information