Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snoop Dogg: Ugly women don't sell records

Since when has Beyonce classified as beautiful?

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    He was prolly stoned...and inarticulate.

But I think he's right about the dark skinned vs. light skinned girls, too. Dark skinned girls or even guys, don't get as much recognition as whites, same goes for other darker/tan skinned ethnicities, they are a minority in the biz.

I believe Spike Lee made a movie about this a while ago. But it is true but sad that lighter skinned black women are much preferred in the entertainment business compared to 'darker' women. Take a look at all the "Black themed" men's magazines and all the cover models and models within the pages are very light skinned, some lighter than white people. And Beyonce and other lighter skinned ethnic women are the ones getting the movie roles and publicity.

I'm not black, and I don't pretend to speak for blacks, but of all the black women I know, even the heavier ones have an amazing self confidence. They understand that it's ok to be "thick". I've never known a black woman personally who had anorexia for example. It's considered hot for them to have a big butt and thicker thighs than any white girl could get away with.

Macy Gray I think would maybe be an example of "ugly".

Definitely not "beautiful".

Anyway, how does she do in record sales?
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    I think Cher is pretty; looks damn good for 60 too! Yeah she's had plastic surgery, but it works for her.
    I agree, but back in her early career, she was...unique looking.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I agree, but back in her early career, she was...unique looking.
    I think she looked pretty before all the PS.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    He was prolly stoned...and inarticulate.

But I think he's right about the dark skinned vs. light skinned girls, too. Dark skinned girls or even guys, don't get as much recognition as whites, same goes for other darker/tan skinned ethnicities, they are a minority in the biz.
    This is true, too. But that doesn't stop rappers like Snoop from filling their videos with light-skinned girls. So, they play right into it.

And Celeb2006 is right about the 'black-themed' magazines, too. It's almost like the lighter you are, the whiter you are, and somehow that means you're considered beautiful. But it extends beyond just blacks. I've seen commericals from India where they actually market cream that allegedly makes you lighter to the darker-skinned people. It's crazy. Beauty comes in ALL shades, from white through blue-black.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I'm not black, and I don't pretend to speak for blacks, but of all the black women I know, even the heavier ones have an amazing self confidence. They understand that it's ok to be "thick". I've never known a black woman personally who had anorexia for example. It's considered hot for them to have a big butt and thicker thighs than any white girl could get away with.
    True. I think the majority of black women don't pay attention to the idea that you have to be a stick figure, simply because they know genetically their bodies aren't made that way, so they aren't going to buy into that image.

I agree about the Biggie thing. I can't imagine a 400 pound female singer dying and having two male singers fighting over her ashes. Faith Evans is still riding on his coattails. First Lady?

Bronze Member

Fantasia can sing but it seems that she doesn't have anyone helping her beautify her image and pushing her out there (like Jennifer Hudson), and it could be because she is not considered attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And Celeb2006 is right about the 'black-themed' magazines, too. It's almost like the lighter you are, the whiter you are, and somehow that means you're considered beautiful. But it extends beyond just blacks. I've seen commericals from India where they actually market cream that allegedly makes you lighter to the darker-skinned people. It's crazy.
    You are correct, this is prevalent throughout the Middle East as well. Those Fair and Lovely commercials are the absolute worst. They portray darker skinned women and only when the girls become "light", they get the men and the careers and the modeling contracts, and thus happy. Really sad.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Janis astonished me. Couldn't sing, wasn't feminine, rough as guts, was nothing to look at at all, but still managed to ooze sex appeal.
    Considering how much drug use there was, how can you be astonished? Although I do dig her music, but I'm a drug loving hippy too!

I totally agree with King's response, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Gold Member

He's right. Society judges women mostly on their looks. Talent comes second.

Mary J. Blige and Keyshia Cole aren't traditionally what the general public would deem 'attractive'.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    He's telling the truth. Look at Idol or any other "talent" contest if you don't look good you won't win. Looks ARE paramount for huge publicity and record deals. Like it or not it's the truth. Always was been, always will be. If you look good you can always develop your "talent" later. For every 'ugly' successful person people name here there are tenfold as many good looking ones. Snoop's right, I don't see how what he said is anymore offensive than people making mean spirited comments about people like rumer willis.
    Uh, Fantasia?

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I (think) I agree about the ugly girls part, but I don't know if his quote was taken out of context or what...the first time I read it, my eyes just about bulged out of my head because it sounded like he was equating being dark-skinned with being ugly, which I definitely DON'T agree with. I read it three times and it still didn't make complete sense. I still think the quote sounds like he's equating the two, but I think (or I'm hoping) its just because he's so inarticulate.
    What he meant was the general public, not he, considers dark skinned women as not attractive, and hes saying you're beautiful, don't listen to that line of thinking.

^That's true, there's that saying for men, 'If you're ugly, become a rock star'.
    'All you have to do is just SING!'

- Eddie Murphy, Delirious

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    As much as I like her, Pink isn't your typical beauty either. But he's talking crap anyway.
    Actually, I find Pink very sexy. The 'There You Go' video solidifies my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    I agree with him.
    He could have used better words, but he's still right.
    Unless you are Amy Winehouse, no one will ever sell your songs if you are ugly.
    And even Amy Winehouse, with that beautiful voice, needs to also do crazy, controversial stuff to stay famous.

This is really sad...
    Amy Winehouse with her beehive Elvira hair is kind of cute to me, if she had her figure back too.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I agree with you on this. I haven't watched MTV or any of those video stations in years! Remember when videos were fun and had plots?

I don't listen to the radio, CD's and Mp3's are my music lifeline. MTV, VH1, and other similar channels could disappear and I wouldn't even notice.
    Remember when videos before that didn't have plots? They were either live concert footage or someone dancing behind some cheesy graphics green screen

Quote Originally Posted by Shuisfan1234 View Post
    Sorry but its FUCKING TRUE!

Snoop, may be a ass for saying it but anyone from my generation knows that if your NOT pretty or thin, your fucked!

There hasnt been one person named that could be called truly ugly.

Kelly Clarkson? Come on! She is not ugly, plain? Yes. But her career is basically over or on life support anyway, but what helped her was that she looked OKAY and she Could SING her heart out! Plus AI was behind her.

Carrie Underwood- Blonde, blue eyed, almost sickly thin now and is the BIGGEST seller ever from Idol. When if you look at her time on the show she was NORMAL weight but not now. Its arguable if she can sing better then Kelly, but she stole her thunder and Clive's attention.

Beyonce? Looks.

Mary J Blige? Fans for over 15 yrs and nobody cringes at her looks. (she is ok looks wise)

Mariah Carey? Pretty to many and the biggest selling female.

Britney? Well before she went crazy, had a fucking SICK ASS BODY and could dance her ass off, which is why she had so many fans and was considered VERY HOT!

Jennifer Hudson? Voice so amazing its ridiculous but will she sell records? Time will tell, she is also on record she is trying to lose 50 pounds. Her face is beautiful but her body is NOT for the record industry.

Whitney Houston? Before Crack? Not ugly. Great Voice.

Ciara? Come on! She cant sing! But has sold like 8 million albums in 3-4 years!

Rihanna? LOL! Again. Cant sing. Joe Camel has helped her in every way and her looks has done the rest. She cant even dance!

Its not just girls though. Chris Brown is SKATING on his looks and dancing ability that his is close to Michael Jackson, that people OVERLOOK his vocals and lip sync.

Omarion is another, he can sing better then Chris but also the dancing helps.

Same with Neyo.

Rappers can be as UGLY AS FUCK BUT AS LONG AS THEY GOT TALENT, they will be SEXY, because of their TALENT. Why was Biggie Smalls "hot"? When he was 400 pounds? Or tons of other rappers? That are not cute?

Same with actors. If Ugly be a comedian. If cute, leading man! Why is Channing Tatum and Columbus Short the NEXT biggest thing? Um because they have LEGIONS of fans from my generation and younger, because they can dance and are FINE as HELL!
    Oh come on, Beyonce can sing. Its not just looks. I don't see how 'same with Ne-yo' because Ne-yo hardly dances, he ain't good looking, but he can sing and is a great songwriter. Omarion can't sing for shit, and neither can Chris. And no, his dancing nor anyone else's comes close to Jackson as a performer. By saying that, you're putting them up with James Brown, Jackie Wilson, etc. And thats foolish.

You ought to check some facts, because Ciara has not sold anywhere near 8 million. In the US, she sold thus far roughly 3.8 million, and worldwide, 5 or 6 million. Thats crap as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuisfan1234 View Post
    Oh and Janet and JLO are another two that have went by on dancing and looks!
    EXCUSE ME but Janet can sing, just because she doesn't shout or gasp for breath doesn't mean she cannot sing - theres more than one way to sing. Aaliyah was a great singer, absolutely beautiful and was an exceptional dancer.
    Last edited by bychance; March 19th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^No, Janet cannot sing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information