Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snoop Dogg: Ugly women don't sell records

He is right.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Same here. I personally prefer to listen to the song and create my own visuals rather than look at the videos. I mean, back in the days when MTV, and other music channels, were actually playing music, I used to love watching videos. But, as I've gotten older, videos have just lost their purpose.
    I agree with you on this. I haven't watched MTV or any of those video stations in years! Remember when videos were fun and had plots?

I don't listen to the radio, CD's and Mp3's are my music lifeline. MTV, VH1, and other similar channels could disappear and I wouldn't even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Then by todays standards Cher or Babs would never have made it?

I think Cher is pretty; looks damn good for 60 too! Yeah she's had plastic surgery, but it works for her.

The next greatest female singer is Leona Lewis and she is gorgeous too

I don't agree. Yes, record companies are more likely to sign a woman that is attractive. Which leads to most of the female singers (of today) being attractive. Thats what we have to choose from. Christina Millian is gorgeous and she can't buy a hit!

When "average" or so called ugly women manage to crack through, they can sell. ie, Missy, Pink, Mary J (is not praised for her beauty).

I (think) I agree about the ugly girls part, but I don't know if his quote was taken out of context or what...the first time I read it, my eyes just about bulged out of my head because it sounded like he was equating being dark-skinned with being ugly, which I definitely DON'T agree with. I read it three times and it still didn't make complete sense. I still think the quote sounds like he's equating the two, but I think (or I'm hoping) its just because he's so inarticulate.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

He was prolly stoned...and inarticulate.

But I think he's right about the dark skinned vs. light skinned girls, too. Dark skinned girls or even guys, don't get as much recognition as whites, same goes for other darker/tan skinned ethnicities, they are a minority in the biz.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Whether people want to admit it or not, Snoop is right, to a degree. He could've worded it better, but this is Snoop. The music industry is about looks and selling an image. If you're attractive, people tend to pay more attention to you.

If you look at some of the most popular singers today, how many would be considered butt-ugly? Or when you look at people like Britney and Rihanna, who don't have any real singing talent, but managed to sell millions of records because they look, or in Britney's case looked, good. An unattractive guy doesn't have it as hard as an unattractive female in the entertainment business, that's just a reality.

That's very true. Even the ugliest man who couldn't get laid in normal circumstances can get groupies galore just by being famous.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    She was still cute and pretty though, hardly ugly at all.
    I think she is very average looking. Makeup and styling have helped though. While she has a tremendous voice, I don't think there is any way she would have achieved international acclaim and success were it not for American Idol. That said, I really like the fact that she's made it primarily on her talent. She's not a studio production like Hillary, Britney and Lindsay.

Gold Member

Sorry but its FUCKING TRUE!

Snoop, may be a ass for saying it but anyone from my generation knows that if your NOT pretty or thin, your fucked!

There hasnt been one person named that could be called truly ugly.

Kelly Clarkson? Come on! She is not ugly, plain? Yes. But her career is basically over or on life support anyway, but what helped her was that she looked OKAY and she Could SING her heart out! Plus AI was behind her.

Carrie Underwood- Blonde, blue eyed, almost sickly thin now and is the BIGGEST seller ever from Idol. When if you look at her time on the show she was NORMAL weight but not now. Its arguable if she can sing better then Kelly, but she stole her thunder and Clive's attention.

Beyonce? Looks.

Mary J Blige? Fans for over 15 yrs and nobody cringes at her looks. (she is ok looks wise)

Mariah Carey? Pretty to many and the biggest selling female.

Britney? Well before she went crazy, had a fucking SICK ASS BODY and could dance her ass off, which is why she had so many fans and was considered VERY HOT!

Jennifer Hudson? Voice so amazing its ridiculous but will she sell records? Time will tell, she is also on record she is trying to lose 50 pounds. Her face is beautiful but her body is NOT for the record industry.

Whitney Houston? Before Crack? Not ugly. Great Voice.

Ciara? Come on! She cant sing! But has sold like 8 million albums in 3-4 years!

Rihanna? LOL! Again. Cant sing. Joe Camel has helped her in every way and her looks has done the rest. She cant even dance!

Its not just girls though. Chris Brown is SKATING on his looks and dancing ability that his is close to Michael Jackson, that people OVERLOOK his vocals and lip sync.

Omarion is another, he can sing better then Chris but also the dancing helps.

Same with Neyo.

Rappers can be as UGLY AS FUCK BUT AS LONG AS THEY GOT TALENT, they will be SEXY, because of their TALENT. Why was Biggie Smalls "hot"? When he was 400 pounds? Or tons of other rappers? That are not cute?

Same with actors. If Ugly be a comedian. If cute, leading man! Why is Channing Tatum and Columbus Short the NEXT biggest thing? Um because they have LEGIONS of fans from my generation and younger, because they can dance and are FINE as HELL!

I like Snoop and I tend to agree with him. He didn't make it so, he's just telling the truth.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Gold Member

Oh and Janet and JLO are another two that have went by on dancing and looks!

Ugly is a strong word. Most people in general aren't ugly(physically). Most are just ok.Beyonce's first (solo) song bombed. Once she came out with the superior "Crazy in love" she took off.

Tamia can sing her ass off, is pretty and fit. Doesn't sell.
    Mya
    Amerie
    The remaining members of TLC: Pretty girls but it didn't make their albums sell when Left Eye died.
    Taral Hicks: Beautiful in looks and voice . Most don't know she is. Couldn't sell.
    Kelis: 1 hit album out of 4.
    Nicole from PSD: First 2 singles bombed. No album sight.
    Kathrine Mcphee
    Blu Cantrell
    Mandy Moore

People want catchy songs . Looks may get you in the door but they don't sustain you.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^All of those women you mentioned are beautiful, so therefore they were given the opportunity to make it. A lot of them didn't last for very long, but if any of them were unattractive, they never would've gotten a deal in the first place.

It seems that if you're a black woman, then being overweight is more acceptable, but if you're a white woman, don't expect a call back from the music industry. Having a mediocre voice, being dumb as rocks, short, tall, young, older, manly, muscular, weird looking, crazy, druggy seems okay, but for some reason, being white & fat is unacceptable. Anyone notice?
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information