Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snoop Dogg: Ugly women don't sell records

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    Yeah when I'm listening to music I'm thinking of how the singer looks. not. I have no idea what most of the singers of the music I listen to look like, nor do I care. Some of us are from the generation before MTV maybe that's the difference.
    That's why they say 'video killed the radio star.' When people didn't know what the person looked like they could imagine the singer/actor to be as attractive as they wanted. But once the public saw the real thing didn't live up to their fantasy, reality set it. And it didn't help matters that the entertainment industry and the media became focused on looks.

And people keep throwing out names like Amy Winehouse and Janis Joplin, but neither one could be considered butt-ugly. Plain-looking, yes, but not ugly.

i like Snoop. the end
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Then by todays standards Cher or Babs would never have made it?

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

As much as I like her, Pink isn't your typical beauty either. But he's talking crap anyway.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I also gotta agree with Snoop, he's just telling how it is in the biz.

I luv Snoop!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

celine dion came to mind

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    That's why they say 'video killed the radio star.' When people didn't know what the person looked like they could imagine the singer/actor to be as attractive as they wanted. But once the public saw the real thing didn't live up to their fantasy, reality set it. And it didn't help matters that the entertainment industry and the media became focused on looks.
    For me it kinda ruined & limited the song & it's meaning. Not always the case but sometimes. I don't watch music videos & haven't for over 15 years...I guess I'm old school. It's about the music not the visual for me, but I'm probably in the minority on that.

His use of the English language may be atrocious, but he speaks the truth. Look around. Ugly men control the music business, but an ugly woman has to work much harder. Beyonce has a horrible voice and is a superstar, while awesomely talented singers such as Jill Scott will never achieve half her success.

Beauty is an asset. I don't like it, but I deal with it. I was told once I was given a job over two other candidates, equally qualified, because I was "easier on the eyes". I was pissed off, but that is the way of the world. I see it every day. When my girls and I go out, some of us never have to buy a drink and some can't get attention. Depending on where we go, the groups may change.

Within the black race, there are still prejudices. Snoop speaks the truth. Watch any video and notice these ugly ass rappers might put one or two dark girls behind the five dozen dyed blonde, light-eyed, high yellow girls.

Quote Originally Posted by GawsipRawksz View Post
    celine dion came to mind

I bet Snoop hates white people

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    For me it kinda ruined & limited the song & it's meaning. Not always the case but sometimes. I don't watch music videos & haven't for over 15 years...I guess I'm old school. It's about the music not the visual for me, but I'm probably in the minority on that.
    Same here. I personally prefer to listen to the song and create my own visuals rather than look at the videos. I mean, back in the days when MTV, and other music channels, were actually playing music, I used to love watching videos. But, as I've gotten older, videos have just lost their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    His use of the English language may be atrocious, but he speaks the truth. Look around. Ugly men control the music business, but an ugly woman has to work much harder. Beyonce has a horrible voice and is a superstar, while awesomely talented singers such as Jill Scott will never achieve half her success.

Beauty is an asset. I don't like it, but I deal with it. I was told once I was given a job over two other candidates, equally qualified, because I was "easier on the eyes". I was pissed off, but that is the way of the world. I see it every day. When my girls and I go out, some of us never have to buy a drink and some can't get attention. Depending on where we go, the groups may change.

Within the black race, there are still prejudices. Snoop speaks the truth. Watch any video and notice these ugly ass rappers might put one or two dark girls behind the five dozen dyed blonde, light-eyed, high yellow girls.
    Preach, RIS!....Oh, and I agree with the rest of your post, too.
    Last edited by kingcap72; March 17th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

There's a double-standard in Hollywood altogether. If a woman isn't considered beautiful by Hollywood's standards, then she better be funny if she wants to make it. Music is about the bottom line for record companies, so they tend to sell the whole package (i.e., looks over singing ability). Look at HIlary Duff and Lindsay Lohan. Both were tween sensations, and neither could sing. But packaged and sold a certain way, they were able to make business execs so much damn money. It's disappointing to see ugly men (I won't say names) making millions of dollars singing/rapping, while women who would be considered their equivalent in the looks department become backup singers.

Misogyny and violence sell records too, apparently.

Well, Kelly Clarkson has sold a ton of records and she ain't exactly gorgeous. Still, I have to (sadly) agree that talent (without looks) as a woman is often not enough to make it in music.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Well, Kelly Clarkson has sold a ton of records and she ain't exactly gorgeous. Still, I have to (sadly) agree that talent (without looks) as a woman is often not enough to make it in music.

She was still cute and pretty though, hardly ugly at all.

I agree with him.
    He could have used better words, but he's still right.
    Unless you are Amy Winehouse, no one will ever sell your songs if you are ugly.
    And even Amy Winehouse, with that beautiful voice, needs to also do crazy, controversial stuff to stay famous.

This is really sad...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information