Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Smallville actor Allison Mack is ‘recruiting slaves for cult’

I'll try and watch it this weekend, but I've seen the ads and I just don't understand how people get sucked in by these cult leaders - this guy has a bad dye job, speaks like he's trying to hypnotise you into handing over your money/taking off your top, and his face is extremely punchable. Who looks at this guy and thinks yes, he has all the secrets to human happiness and success? Which is another thing that always struck me about Scientology - what kind of moron thinks fat old chain-smoking LRH was a physical and mental health guru?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^^
    yeah, i don't understand the appeal either but i still love a good sex cult story lol

i'm watching the series and it's good but like everything else these days, they stretched it out into far more episodes than necessary. i'd say the difference with this cult vis-à-vis others is the total absence of any kind of spiritual component. this one is centred on self-help/self-improvement but still, none of the crap they spew really makes any sense. i think it's psychology and there are personality types that are more susceptible to this than others. there's the vulnerable but narcissistic people who crave validation (which explains why so many actors get drawn into it), the ones who get off on being told they're special and know something the rest of the world doesn't (which also partially explains the appeal of conspiracies), etc.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'll try and watch it this weekend, but I've seen the ads and I just don't understand how people get sucked in by these cult leaders - this guy has a bad dye job, speaks like he's trying to hypnotise you into handing over your money/taking off your top, and his face is extremely punchable. Who looks at this guy and thinks yes, he has all the secrets to human happiness and success? Which is another thing that always struck me about Scientology - what kind of moron thinks fat old chain-smoking LRH was a physical and mental health guru?
    Yeah, one of the most vivid impressions I had when I started watching was how deeply physically unimpressive Raniere was. To me, he looked like kind of a spacey savant hippie. What I noticed, though, was that he had kind of a Manson-like vibe to him. I watched him stare at people, trying to "read" them, and he would seem to have a confederate with him - like a friend who had brought this vulnerable person in. Then, as tension built up, he would deliver this devastating line to them - like they had never treated themselves with the respect that they knew they deserved - something like that. And the person just burst into tears. Breaking them down. Then, building them back up again so they become feeling empowered but dependent at the same time. These are techniques you just hear about over and over again, although they have some kind of variation.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    yeah, i don't understand the appeal either but i still love a good sex cult story lol

i'm watching the series and it's good but like everything else these days, they stretched it out into far more episodes than necessary. i'd say the difference with this cult vis-à-vis others is the total absence of any kind of spiritual component. this one is centred on self-help/self-improvement but still, none of the crap they spew really makes any sense. i think it's psychology and there are personality types that are more susceptible to this than others. there's the vulnerable but narcissistic people who crave validation (which explains why so many actors get drawn into it), the ones who get off on being told they're special and know something the rest of the world doesn't (which also partially explains the appeal of conspiracies), etc.
    Speaking of actors, I think it's telling also that actors also seem to be vulnerable to Scientology. They are insecure, the relative success of other actors seems inexplicable, and these organizations and recruiters give them a sense of affiliation and possible career connections. But its a specifically targeted group because they themselves make attractive recruiters.
    fgg, Jadestone and sputnik like this.

Call me old fashioned but I like my cult leaders to have a little pizzazz, a bit of showmanship, not these watered down soft talking sex offenders.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Sounds like Jim Jones is your man!
    Syd, SHELLEE, Jadestone and 1 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yes, we started watching it on vacation at the beach a couple weeks ago. First of all, there was only one HBO channel, so we were kind of a captive audience. They had Catherine Oxenberg sitting at a table with some of these people, and talking about her daughter, and then one of the women got up to show her where she was branded. Lots of old clips talking about this. I think I missed a couple early episodes? So, many people seemed to have gotten into this for legitimate, innocent reasons. I can't figure out when it turned sideways...
    It's a cult. That's how they suck you in.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Call me old fashioned but I like my cult leaders to have a little pizzazz, a bit of showmanship, not these watered down soft talking sex offenders.
    One of my faves. Look at those futuristic padded shoulders! Kanye wishes he could design stuff this hot.