Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Smallville actor Allison Mack is ‘recruiting slaves for cult’

A few observations and speculations informed by personal experience:

* most of the time cult goings-on will be ordinary, mundane activities and communication, so even if the news here is covering the most illegal and sensational aspects of NXIVM, that probably was not the majority of what was happening for members

* cults have concentric rings of increasing weirdness the closer you get to the power center. People can get drawn in through the frog-boiling-in-pot method

* by the time NXIVM got someone to collateral, the process was probably far along, and somehow they found a way to normalize it within the overall narrative of the group (yes it is technically weird, but it doesn’t sound too out of line with things that could happen in consensual bdsm, for example)

* a cult isn’t necessarily about fitting in or having a community accept you, though it definitely can be. Any of the entire range of human needs can be appealed to. Iirc, in this case the original draw was financial / career success?

* cult dynamics are always hidden behind front orgs, and creepy things are couched in noncreepy language. These conceptual and linguistic frames make it hard for the brain to sift through the situation accurately. And that’s just one of the factors at play ... all kinds of inbuilt human perceptual weaknesses will be manipulated

* most cults target reasonably normal, healthy, educated people who don’t actually need a cult to succeed or be okay. They are required for the group to function with credibility. Some of the people drawn in will have underlying vulnerabilities, but those are pretty common to have. Some abusers / personality-disordered ppl will also be attracted to it and find their places accordingly
    Kittylady, Trixie, idunno and 4 others like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Silver Member

Her mother , BTW, is Princess Olga of Yugoslavia.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think think it might be her original nose. To me, it looks very similar to the nose on the woman on the left side, which I'm assuming is Oxenberg's mom. Of they are getting a 2-for-1 deal at the plastic surgeon's.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Shinola broke it down perfectly. Cults operate in a similar way to abusers in relationships - lure you in with love and glittering promises and then slowly and insidiously strip away your independence and skew your sense of normality before ramping up the nastier aspects. Cults don't go all in at the start and announce that they are planning on taking over your life just as an abuser won't introduce themselves by saying "hi! My name is ........ and I'm going to beat the shite outta you!".
    Trixie, idunno, Shinola and 5 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

Straight from the sexually depraved, power mad horse's mouth.
    https://jezebel.com/victim-victimize...ack-1826418284

Longer NYT article
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/m...h-raniere.html

Victim, Victimizer, 'Badass Warrior Bitch': Allison Mack Developed the Nxivm Sex Cult Branding Practice

On Wednesday morning the New York Times Magazine published a massive report on Nxivm, the “self-improvement company”/thinly veiled pyramid scheme/cult lead by Keith Raniere. The piece includes interviews with Raniere, Nxivm’s co-founder, therapist Nancy Salzman, Raniere’s right-hand woman, Smallville actress Allison Mack, among others, conducted last fall—before Raniere and Mack were arrested on charges of sex trafficking, sex trafficking conspiracy, and forced labor conspiracy. (That was in April. In May, Mack was released on house arrest and $5 million bail. Raniere is currently in a federal jail in Brooklyn after being denied bail—he was deemed too much of a flight risk.)

The level of access the NYT was granted on Nxivm is, so far, unprecedented—no media entity had interviewed Nxivm’s top players in 14 years, so much of the information gleaned is new, crazy shit.

Most revelatory are the quotes from women involved in DOS, shorthand for the Latin phrase Dominus Obsequious Sororium, or “lord over the obedient female companions,” what Raniere described to the Times as a “sorority.” We know, now, that DOS was a secretive wing of Nxivm that acted as a sex “slave” cult, and that Mack acted as Raniere’s number two—where women recruiters were referred to as “masters,” and Mack described them as the “representation of your conscience, your higher self, your most ideal.” (In Mack’s case, Raniere was not only the leader of the cult, the “Vanguard,” but also her “master.”)

As a process of initiation, women were branded with a symbol near their pelvic bone with what most assumed reflected the four elements, or seven chakras, or Greek letters “alpha,” and “mu”—in reality, it was a hybrid of Raniere and Mack’s initials, a mark of ownership. Especially harrowing is the fact that the branding was Mack’s suggestion. ictims were given surgical masks to help cloak the scent of their burning flesh. Mack told the Times:

“I was like: ‘Y’all, a tattoo? People get drunk and tattooed on their ankle ‘BFF,’ or a tramp stamp. I have two tattoos and they mean nothing.’”

She broke down the operations behind DOS, too:

Masters would help slaves count calories to save them from the trap of emotional eating, according to other women in the group. Masters would dictate an act of “self-denial,” like cold showers or rousing yourself from bed at 4 a.m. and standing stock still for a time. Slaves were told to do “acts of care” for masters, perhaps bringing them coffee. Slaves might be told to abstain from orgasms, ostensibly to heal their negative sexual patterns. Mack said that this was “about devotion” and “like any spiritual practice or religion.” I thought about free will — did she believe in that? She said, “You’re dedicating your life one way or another.”

That notion of misguided empowerment, specifically, women’s empowerment—skewed ideas of control largely inspired by Ayn Rand, one of the most influential authors on Raniere’s prevailing philosophical practices—made Nxivm especially attractive to wealthy women. They were targeted as the ideal recruits, described as “potent” within Nxivm for their “emotionally disciplined, self-controlled, attractive, physically fit and slender” identities. Wealthy white women with platforms and clout were especially sought out, too, in an effort to grow the exclusive DOS network:

Mack recruited other women and even tweeted at famous women like Emma Watson, inviting them to learn more about her techniques of female empowerment. Many women told me they improved from this scheme, and Mack agreed. “I found my spine, and I just kept solidifying my spine every time I would do something hard,” Mack said passionately. DOS was “about women coming together and pledging to one another a full-time commitment to become our most powerful and embodied selves by pushing on our greatest fears, by exposing our greatest vulnerabilities, by knowing that we would stand with each other no matter what, by holding our word, by overcoming pain.”

When the cauterized brand was introduced, it was a scary experience, like any real rite of passage, but some of them kidded around through it. Even if they cried when they were getting the brand; even if they wore surgical masks to help them with breathing in the smell of burning flesh; even if the brand was much larger than they were told it would be and looked like an ancient hieroglyph; even if they were in a state of sheer terror, they were still able to transcend the fear and cry out to one another: “Badass warrior bitches! Let’s get strong together.”

According to the report, an estimated 150 women joined DOS.

The reasons for Mack’s involvement with Raniere and Nxivm are also made clear in the article: The Smallville actress asked him to “make her a great actress again,” and, like all members of DOS, was requested to give Raniere “collateral” to prove her loyalty. These were explicitly blackmail-worthy materials that would completely ruin her if made public. Mack gave Raniere “a contract declaring that if she broke her commitment, her home would be transferred into his name and future children birthed by her would be his, as well as a letter addressed to social services claiming abuse of her nephews.” (Raniere made it a point to tell the Times that no woman has had her collateral published, but, as the journalist notes, “this isn’t an impressive point, given how legally problematic that would be.”)

Mack and Rainere currently await trial, each on a charge of sex trafficking which brings a minimum sentence of 15 years.

Read the full New York Times Magazine article here.

Elite Member

A&E has a special over the weekend with a former member. I watched about an hour of the 2 hour broadcast. These people are all kinds of fucked up.

fgg

Seagram’s heiress puts pad up as collateral for Nxivm sex cult-linked sister

Thanks, sis.

Seagram’s liquor heiress Sara Bronfman — who reportedly introduced her sister Clare to the upstate sex-slave cult Nxivm — put her $3.75 million Soho pad up as collateral to help secure a $100 million bond for her sibling’s freedom as she awaits trial on charges related to her role in the secretive sect.

The Brooklyn US Attorney’s office filed Sara’s paperwork related to the bond in court Monday. Family members pooled a total $50 million in personal assets to secure the bond.

Sara could lose her apartment — a two-bedroom, two-bathroom in starchitect Jean Nouvel’s 40 Mercer St. — if her younger sister skips town.

Records show Sara, who lives in France, rented the condo for $15,000 a month last fall.

Clare was arrested last month for allegedly helping Nxivm cult leader Keith Raniere by stealing the email logins of his nemeses, using his dead ex-girlfriend’s charge card, committing identity theft and laundering money.

Raniere is facing sex trafficking and conspiracy charges for allegedly luring women into his master-slave group within Nxivm — where “slaves” were forced to pleasure Raniere, have his initials permanently branded onto their skin, and perform free labor.

Clare used an estimated $150 million of her spirits fortune to fund the cult.

She’s pleaded not guilty to the charges and claims the group is a harmless “sorority.”

https://pagesix.com/2018/08/13/seagr...linked-sister/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

^^^ I don't love anyone in my family that much.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I don’t love them enough for to put $5 up for bail. Not for this type of case.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I'm guessing you never introduced any of your family members to a cult either, lol. It says this woman did, and since people will apparently do anything for their cults, she might well be defending her sick organization as much as she is her sister.
    joebob likes this.

My sister would NOT be skipping town if I put that much up for collateral.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalHelena View Post
    My sister would NOT be skipping town if I put that much up for collateral.
    Damn right.

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^^
    i have a feeling that movie will not survive the #metoo era
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't know what movie that scene is from, but #metoo is just one of the oh-so-many-things-wrong with this.

Well he wasn't trying to fuck the girl in that movie. He was trying to save her from fucking the town/getting fucked by the town.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

What movie is that?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information