Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sir Alec Guinness and Sir Laurence Olivier did not get along

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I thought Olivier was REALLY good in "Marathon Man". I liked him in that mess "Boys from Brazil", too. At what point in his marriage to Leigh did she basically go insane from her illness, and how much longer did he stay married to her?
    I think the marriage ran into problems around the war, when he started to notice her cray-cray.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

At what point in his marriage to Leigh did she basically go insane from her illness, and how much longer did he stay married to her?
    They were married until 1961. She died in 1967.

I thought Olivier was REALLY good in "Marathon Man". I liked him in that mess "Boys from Brazil", too. At what point in his marriage to Leigh did she basically go insane from her illness, and how much longer did he stay married to her?
    Mr. pig and I quote MM every time we see Olivier in anything. "Issss it sssaaafffffe?" (BTW, he says it 9 times. We counted.) We also like BfromB, with Mr. pig's favorite line to Uta Hagen in the prison: "I may leave here viss nussing...but you are not going anyvhere." Yeah - we like ham with our movies.

From what I recall from Vivien Leigh's bio, in her manic phases she exhibited nymphomania. Things were really out of control during the filming of Elephant Walk, when she had a torrid affair with Peter Finch and was replaced by Elizabeth Taylor. (Some of the long shots in the movie are actually Leigh, not Taylor.) Leigh and Olivier remained married for 20 years, when he finally left her for Joan Plowright in the early 60s.

IIRC, Leigh was stunned that he preferred a "plain" woman over someone with her still-glorious beauty.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys. This is from Anne Edwards' bio of Leigh that was written 30 years ago.

Leigh died at age 53, and as I recall she literally drowned in her bed from the aftereffects of tuberculosis. Again - correct me if my recollections are faulty.

She was divinely beautiful, though.

they totally slept together.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Now that's hot.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I tried to get through the remake of Tinker Tailor, but even though I love Gary Oldman, it was just WRONG without Alec. He was Smiley to a tee.
    Are you my Other Half? I've heard ENDLESS criticisms from him about the Tinker Tailor remake and the casting (he's a huge Le Carre fan and adores the BBC adaption).

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    they totally slept together.
    That's actually quite possible. I recently read a book that was made up of his diary entries and letters and it's pretty plain that he both indulged in and was tortured by a need to enjoy the company of men. As for his relationship with Merula it came across as a very mixed bag - he made comments in his diaries about her and how he treated her that were as often thoughtless and cruel as they were adoring. He seemed to both love her and resent her in turn.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    From what I recall from Vivien Leigh's bio, in her manic phases she exhibited nymphomania. Things were really out of control during the filming of Elephant Walk, when she had a torrid affair with Peter Finch and was replaced by Elizabeth Taylor. (Some of the long shots in the movie are actually Leigh, not Taylor.) Leigh and Olivier remained married for 20 years, when he finally left her for Joan Plowright in the early 60s.

IIRC, Leigh was stunned that he preferred a "plain" woman over someone with her still-glorious beauty.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys. This is from Anne Edwards' bio of Leigh that was written 30 years ago.

Leigh died at age 53, and as I recall she literally drowned in her bed from the aftereffects of tuberculosis. Again - correct me if my recollections are faulty.

She was divinely beautiful, though.
    Her manic/hypersexualised phases definitely got pretty out there. David Niven wrote a couple of chapters about the unnamed "Missy" in his autobiography, and vividly described the horrors of dealing with her when her husband was away on location. When Stewart Granger (who clearly wasn't the same kind of gentleman) wrote his own autobiography, Missy was revealed as Vivien Leigh. No matter how unpleasant Olivier might have been, I did feel sorry for him to have coped with that kind of illness for so long.

As for how she died, I also remember reading about how she drowned in her own mucus, but I recall it being from pneumonia rather than TB. But as I read it a very long time ago, I could be mistaken.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information