Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Singer Sophie B. Hawkins Pregnant at 50

How I personally feel about "older" moms depends on the situation; there are women who struggle with fertility and after many years of treatment finally become pregnant at an older age. There are women who perhaps due to age figured their chances of conceiving had lowered, and oops, became pregnant ( I call those the "I thought I was going through menopause" babies ). In Sophie's instance, she clearly planned on having more kids in that she took the step of freezing embryos at what she perceived as a good age of 30; what I don't understand is why she waited until the age of 50. I'm guessing she had opportunity to try for a 2nd pregnancy whenever she wanted to, but knew she had these frozen embryos in storage "for a rainy day", and at this point is less busy in her career than before, and kind of figured "I've got nothing better to do, let me have another sibling for my son".

I got the impression she held off because of her relationship, and once that ended she felt like she could proceed. Then I googled her and relationship and found an article from 2008 which states she had turned 40 on Nov 1, 2007, which wouldn't make her 50 now?? LOL She even comments about not being able to lie about her age....

http://www.gomag.com/article/an_interview_with_sophie_/ excerpt

“I love my phrase ‘omnisexual,’” Hawkins said. “The truth about omnisexuality is my sexuality is spiritual. It’s creative. I absolutely can fall in love with any gender if I love the person’s mind, heart and soul.”

And she has. She’s been with both men and women. “Sex is my favorite thing in the world. I demand it in my relationships.”

For the past 11 years that relationship has been with a woman.

“Can your friggin’ believe it?” Hawkins said stunned at her own success of a long-term relationship.

“I think you have to keep sex interesting with a man or a woman. You have to keep investigating someone’s soul.”

She enjoys exploring very much.

“One in the relationship is usually more aggressive about sex. That’s me! I’m very comfortable with the lesbian sides of myself. P.S., I love lesbians!”

However, she doesn’t admit she has a preference between men or women.

“I just wish I could be in a relationship with both,” Hawkins said.

Although that is possible, Hawkins will not play by those rules.

“I pick people who are very monogamous. I need to be grounded and work well with that friction of ‘you better not be so free.’ My relationship would not exist any other way.”

Hawkins’ need for rules to follow is a result of her childhood. She grew up in New York City on 86th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus in an environment she compares to Paris in the 1920’s. That period has been described as a hotbed of seduction and self-indulgence.

“I grew up in a family where there wasn’t monogamy. Both parents had affairs and did whatever they wanted,” Hawkins said.

Hawkins’ mother had relationships with women during a time when it wasn’t as acceptable as it is today. Looking back, Hawkins does not see her mother as courageous.

“I didn’t think that was very brave of her. It wasn’t because of monogamy or her being with women,” Hawkins explained. “I really thought everyone would be better off if someone would just commit. I had a long path to learn rules because our house was the den of inequity.”

On Nov. 1 Hawkins celebrated her 40th birthday.

“Everyone knows that! I can’t even lie about my age.”

Hawkins says that with nothing but happiness.

“I feel my body is more beautiful, more sensual and my mind is clearer than ever. I am no longer an addict.”

When she refers to the word “addict,” she acknowledges it’s her life-long struggle with an eating disorder.

“I was walking back to my apartment on Christopher Street, and I remember saying out loud, ‘I am never going to tell anyone about my secret. I’m going to die with my secret. I love my secret.’”

Anorexia was her friend and her way of coping with her childhood. Then she realized one morning, in that same apartment, she wasn’t going to continue starving herself. She knew it would lead to her becoming “isolated” and “extinct.” For support she turned to lilacs.

“Every time I felt like acting out, I bought lilacs,” Hawkins said. “It was my symbol of rebirth. I had stopped myself at age 28.”

Interestingly and unknown to Hawkins until she spoke with GO, lavender, the color of certain lilacs, is the color of the ribbons that represent eating disorder awareness.

“OMG! That just gave me chills hearing that,” Hawkins said.

Her songs were also what gave her the strength she needed to overcome her demons. Through lyrics, she said, it brought others into her healing process.

“Doesn’t that sound tacky?” Hawkins chuckled.

It doesn’t. Hawkins writes her own material, so she is able to convey her truth through lyrics. She said her song “Bare the Weight of Me” remains her favorite. At first she wouldn’t own up to living through some of the stories she wrote in her songs. She’d tell people, “It was a dream I had.” Then she realized that hiding—for anyone—is the most damaging.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My dad's mom was 55 when he was born. I never got to meet her- she was dead by the time I was born. I wish I could have met her. She sounds like she was a wonderful person.

I went to school with some kids of older parents, in their 60's when we were in high school. Some of them were embarrassed about having older parents (sad but true) because they were sometimes mistaken for their parents' grandkids. On the other side, their parents were definitely financially stable. However, now that we are in our 30's, their parents are dying and having health problems at a pretty scary rate- which makes sense because they are in their 70s and 80's. I am seeing a lot of Facebook posts about my friends wishing their parents were there to see them get married or have kids. That's sad, and is why I would not have kids after 35 but that's just me.

My mom had me at 33- I'm the youngest. It wasn't easy for her and she wasn't even older when I was born. She often mentions how difficult it was to save for retirement and pay for college at the same time. But, unless you have kids in your teens you're probably going to be in that situation.
    rollo and tonks like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

What, no sad old eggs pic?
    gas_chick likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Good for her. Who cares if she's 50? Kim Kardashian is 34 and we can all see what a stellar job she's making of being a parent...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

like i always tell people when these threads come up, my (healthy, no high blood pressure, EKG had come back fine 2 months before) dad dropped dead at 51. my parents had us young too - started having kids at 25 and 27. it's not a guarantee that your parents will be there to watch you grow up.
    who the fuck cares how old or young parents are as long as they're good parents. that's all a kid needs.
    maybe there are "ideals" (meet your partner at this age, marry at this age, have kids by this age, retire at this age) but guess what? things aren't always that neat and easy to follow and no, it's not just because those damn women and their foolish ideas about having careers and waiting to have kids until they're too old because they're SELFISH ASSHOLES not thinking about the wellbeing of humanity. fuck that shit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    What, no sad old eggs pic?
    Of course not. She froze her eggs at 31 so they are not old. LOL
    idunno likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I find it actually more interesting that she decided to become pregnant again instead of using f.ex. a surrogate. (high-risk pregnancy etc)

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    frankly, i worry about that, too. but right now they are six and together we hike the local trail with 700+ steps, walk to and from school every day, go ice skating for hours, etc etc. i feel like i am in good shape and can keep up with them. and i'm more patient now than i was in my 20s, so don't roll my eyes when they ask the same question a zillion times. i sit and do homework with them, make their meals, and do other things a mom in her 20s does.

all from the confines of my wheelchair. i roll around with all the other seniors.
    CZB, I hope you know I wasn't talking about you! I was referring to the subject of the post who is pregnant at 50. I had older parents and all I can say is, it was OK at first but age and death does catch up. I guess it does depend on individual circumstances but seeing your kids off to college in your 70s and getting to that point as a rule is not going to be easy and she is hardly going to be an active grandparent.
    mtlebay likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    like i always tell people when these threads come up, my (healthy, no high blood pressure, EKG had come back fine 2 months before) dad dropped dead at 51. my parents had us young too - started having kids at 25 and 27. it's not a guarantee that your parents will be there to watch you grow up.
    Very true. My mother had me at 29 and died a year later. My cousin and her husband had their son when she was in her late forties and he was in his early fifties. The kid is a teenager now. He speaks two languages and has traveled all over the world. Both of his parents are doing fine.
    mtlebay, sluce, sputnik and 1 others like this.

Most thought Larry King's two youngest wouldn't get to know him as a father. They will turn 15 & 16 this year, and he's still kicking. Tony Randall's kids lost him when they were 6 & 7 but are both doing well according to an article from October:

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: TONY RANDALL WIDOW - The National Enquirer

czb

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    CZB, I hope you know I wasn't talking about you! I was referring to the subject of the post who is pregnant at 50. I had older parents and all I can say is, it was OK at first but age and death does catch up. I guess it does depend on individual circumstances but seeing your kids off to college in your 70s and getting to that point as a rule is not going to be easy and she is hardly going to be an active grandparent.
    thank you for that. but i'm not offended at all. and i was being honest about worrying about my age and how my daughters will feel about having older parents. but i try my best, that's all i can do.
    sluce, sputnik and Honeythorn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Of course not. She froze her eggs at 31 so they are not old. LOL
    I'm skeptical that she used her own frozen embryos. 18-19 years is bordering on record-breaking age for frozen embryos, but I guess it's possible. I'm thinking donor embryo. If I were here, I probably would have done the same thing, even at her age.

Even though her eggs were frozen they are still sad and old and deserve the old eggs pic.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Ok. Not sad, and old, but frozen.

Once they thaw you find this in the fridge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information