Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Shocking Val Kilmer interview

^I'm sorry, but that's just a stupid, assuming, blanket rant. What the hell do YOU know about people's experience with (people with) disabilities!!!! Speaking solely for myself, my sadness and sympathy for Kilmer's situation is partly due to the fact that it may not have been necessary that he ended up like this, due to his "religious" beliefs.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

This is a huge, life-changing development for Kilmer, and we would have made note of it for anyone. Like Kirk Douglas having a massive, speech-effecting stroke, or Christopher Reeve having a horse-riding accident that made him a quadriplegic, or Sammi Sosa accidentally bleaching himself until he looked like Edgar Winter's little brother.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    \its a fukin disability... big deal ! I'm not sad. Im jubilant for him ! He fuckin survived cancer !!
    Okay, so he sounds different
    Okay, he has to struggle a bit more so than a person who hasn't gone through what he has gone through.

people who go all " this is so sad" when it comes to any kind of disability pisses me right the fuk off
    Know what is sad?
    Living in a world where people cant handle people with disabilities

rant over
    yes it’s fucking sad. I’d be fucking sad too if it happened to me and not because of any discrimination I would face or bc people couldn’t handle it, but because it would fucking suck to have a major illness and lose my voice as a result. No one should discriminate against people with disabilities but no one would choose to have a disability, right?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    \its a fukin disability... big deal ! I'm not sad. Im jubilant for him ! He fuckin survived cancer !!
    Okay, so he sounds different
    Okay, he has to struggle a bit more so than a person who hasn't gone through what he has gone through.

people who go all " this is so sad" when it comes to any kind of disability pisses me right the fuk off
    Know what is sad?

rant over
    With all due respect as a cancer survivor this is the attitude I come up against when I want medial help with some of the issues that the treatment has left me with.
    The unsympathetic response of "you survived cancer" is not enough IMO.
    Yes we survived but we expect a quality of life afterwards - other wise what was the point?

At least they can dub a voice for him. Hes a good enough actor to carry that off. Poor guy. He was such an eye catching man in his youth.
    Jack I swear.

Elite Member

Know what is sad?

I have a disability that I didn't have when I was younger. And, you know what is sad? Not being able to live your life the way you once did. In Val Kilmer's case, not being able to speak affects his ability to communicate with others and to use his voice as an actor to communicate love, rage and sorrow, to add emotion to words and gestures. He'll have to be dubbed over from now on unless he can learn to speak better (and I'm sure he's working on that). Yes, he has survived cancer which is a major victory in life. But we'll have to see if he can still bring his trademark passion and intensity to a role without using his own voice. I know he is a Christian Scientist, but I wonder if his voice would be so damaged if he'd seen a doctor sooner.
    HWBL, Kittylady, Trixie and 5 others like this.

Well I get the general upset, but the original point--that some disabled people don't welcome pity as an automatic reaction to their disability--is valid also.

I imagine I'd want people to see me as more than my disability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information