Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Shia LaBeouf - Accused of Abuse

It’s not really news that Shit is abusive, that taxi driver came out about an incident with him and Mia years ago. I didn’t realize he’d dated Twigs though.

I like the typo so it stays.
    tulip, Novice, holly and 4 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    There are certain movies I can't enjoy anymore (particularly your typical romance movies) because all I see now is how they perpetuate and normalize abuse. When you're loving and living with an abuser for years your perceptions get skewed. Being raised on media that tells you a man being extra controlling and domineering is love or supersexy doesn't help.
    My thoughts exactly.
    There's a youtube channel I absolutely love "Pop Culture Detective" - the guy deconstruct how traditional masculinity is represented in media and especially movies, he's got tons of interesting videos on the most common toxic tropes.

I became a teacher right into the Twilight franzy, and I am still so angry at how that series, targeting TEENAGERS still depicts stalking, controlling, ignoring someone's decisions, overall being a massive dick as utterly romantic.
    The dude fucking breaks into her house, climbs up her window to watch her sleep and they're not even dating and it's "super sweet" ??? HOLY FUck.
    And I'm not even going into the 50 shades bullshit.
    But anyway, I ended up using twilight as ressource material for my lessons, just to have an opportunity to tell my 15 year old students that "if this happens to you in real life, please run the fuck away"

And people telling me "you take everything so seriously, it's just movies, switch your brains off and enjoy" ... yeah sure, let's enjoy depiction of women being abused, so entertaining!
    tulip, Trixie, czb and 8 others like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    There are certain movies I can't enjoy anymore (particularly your typical romance movies) because all I see now is how they perpetuate and normalize abuse. When you're loving and living with an abuser for years your perceptions get skewed. Being raised on media that tells you a man being extra controlling and domineering is love or supersexy doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    There's a youtube channel I absolutely love "Pop Culture Detective" - the guy deconstruct how traditional masculinity is represented in media and especially movies, he's got tons of interesting videos on the most common toxic tropes.
    Ironically, the first example that comes to mind for me is the movie "The Pickup Artist", where Robert Downey Jr. plays a guy who is crazy about women and is wildly successful at getting them to go out with him. It's been many years since I saw the movie, but even then, I thought his character came across as a big freaking street pest. And guess who the director was? James Toback, who was later revealed to accost women in the street with his own unique "pickup artist" moves. It's an incredibly common trope in romantic movies that some guy continually hits on a completely uninterested woman until he "breaks her down" and "wins her heart". We should have some kind of thread called "Hollywood romantic movies, re-examined".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information