Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Sherri Shepherd and Hubby Lamar Sally Separate

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ She was a "celebrity" and had the money. That's my guess anyway. I also wonder what kind of help (legal or otherwise) they offer the surrogate if something goes awry like this. Sherri contracted to be named the mother, but obviously the hospital didn't care about that contract when the time came to fill out the birth certificate. And the State doesn't care when the come knocking to collect child support. So what protection does the contract give her?
    The hospital has no role here at all. They simply have people fill out the paperwork. The mother is automatically named as the one who gives birth. Then each state has their own laws in place to govern the procedure for issuing an amended certificate of live birth. Some required the new mom to go through a legal adoption procedure which involves a voluntary termination of the birth mother's rights. Other allow that process to court approved prior to the birth and then a simple form is submitted to issue an amended certificate.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^ Ok, thanks. What I was trying to get at is, it appears the contract does nothing to protect the surrogate if the intended mother backs out, because that piece of paper means nothing to the hospital, state welfare system etc. Until/unless she can get that birth certificate amended, she's the legal mother, even though she was basically just the paid incubator for someone else's embryo. And who foots the bill for her legal expenses? What responsibility does the agency take?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Depends on the contract. The courts should step in and force Sherri to honor the contract she signed, and name her as the legal mother, removing all responsibility from the surrogate. Then Sherri can sign over custody to her husband and pay him support. The contract basically does cover this, and protects the birthmother, but the courts must uphold the contract.
    Trixie and Kittylady like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Yes, they should and I hope that's what happens. And I also hope Sherri is ordered to pay everyone's legal fees too.

It's just irritating to me that she's trying to use this "fraud" excuse--that her husband basically had this baby for the sole purpose of getting money and child support from her. Even if that's true, it shouldn't matter. How many men would get out of paying child support if the old "she tricked me and got pregnant" defense actually worked? Nope, you make a baby, you're responsible for it, plain and simple.
    Kittylady, llamamama and sluce like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

i agree it's absolutely shitty that the poor surrogate has any responsibility in this and is named as a legal parent.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It kind of reminds me of people who are sperm donors for couples but are named as a financially liable parent after the adoptive parents get in financial trouble. (But if I remember correctly, it's also because they didn't do the insemination through an MD.)
    llamamama and sluce like this.

A sperm donor, who follows the proper process, will never be named as a father or liable for support. The surrogacy laws must be updated to protect the surrogate/gestational carriers too.
    Kittylady, sputnik and Angeli like this.

So this chick who carried the baby didn't even provide the egg, just carried and birthed? And now she's getting the financial screws put to her when she was actually the one they sought out? The one who did a great thing for them? Wow.

That's unfair. Sherri is a gigantic POS.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Judge Rules That Sherri Shepherd Is Legal Mother Of Child By Surrogate

Sherri Shepherd has been ordered to take responsibility for a child she and her (soon-to-be) ex-husband had via surrogate. While Shepherd claims that she was “tricked” into having the child by her ex, a judge has ruled that her name must replace the surrogate’s on the birth certificate.

Shepherd, who TMZ reports was not at the ruling, has been fighting Lamar Sally over parenthood of the now seven-month-old baby boy that was conceived with Sally’s sperm and a surrogate’s eggs. Until this time, the surrogate has had her name listed on the certificate, but People reports that she hasn’t been happy with this, wanting to put it all behind her. In January, it was reported that the surrogate was even being sought after for child support.

According to Sally, Shepherd had a change of heart about the pregnancy months into it and refuses to have anything to do with the child, allegedly accusing Sally of forcing her into responsibility in order to take money from her.

Lamar says he’s ecstatic with the ruling telling TMZ, “I want her to go on television and apologize the same way that she went on there and accused me of being a gold digger and tricking her into having a baby.”

Regardless of the ruling, the clear loser right now is the baby who’s already living in an adverse environment. Unless Shepherd and Sally make some kind of deal to make it work, it feels like having Shepherd, who’s clearly said she doesn’t want anything to do with the child, in his life might actually make it harder.

The company that Sally and Shepherd used, Reproductive Possibilities, released a statement last month stating that this is the first time a situation like this has arisen.

Image via Getty

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I don't necessarily agree with that ruling and there doesn't seem to be all that much precedent, although i don't necessarily disagree with it either. I wonder if She-bitch will appeal.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have mixed emotions about this, too, because another innocent child is now going to grow up being afraid of falling off the edge of the Earth.....
    Bluebonnet and sprynkles like this.

I'm ok with the ruling. She signed a surrogacy contract, using a donor egg, which caused the birth of this child. Like any other parent, we can choose no longer fill the role of parent but we cannot discard the responsibility of providing for the child. They really can't force her to visit, but they can force her to pay support.

They used a company in NJ, but the surrogacy contract was signed in PA.
    llamamama and Brah like this.

Bronze Member

She's such a POS.
    That poor baby. ��

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I'm ok with the ruling. She signed a surrogacy contract, using a donor egg, which caused the birth of this child. Like any other parent, we can choose no longer fill the role of parent but we cannot discard the responsibility of providing for the child. They really can't force her to visit, but they can force her to pay support.

They used a company in NJ, but the surrogacy contract was signed in PA.
    I agree. It was her money that paid for the surrogate. If she had decided to carry the donor embryo herself, nobody would have questioned that she were responsible for it. The fact that she hired a surrogate to carry the child does not change the fact that it was her decision to bring the child into the world. Her regretting that decision does not remove her responsibility for the child.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with that ruling and there doesn't seem to be all that much precedent, although i don't necessarily disagree with it either. I wonder if She-bitch will appeal.
    She can always push the baby carriage over the side of the earth, since she thinks it's flat anyway... .
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information