Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: The Seedy Backstory of the Runaways and Their Rapist Svengali*Producer

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    The rest of the Runaways have, for whatever reason, denied Jackie's story repeatedly across the years. Maybe they were in denial, or scared about what would happen if they would admit the sexual abuse they all suffered at the hands of this arsehole, or too wiped out on their party drugs of choice to accurately recall the details.

What would happen would be that it would forever be attached to their name and their reputation, no matter what they did or what they were promoting. The media loves a victim much more than they do a survivor who has moved on and will try to keep them in that pigeon hole no matter what.

Edit: That's not to say that victims and survivors shouldn't speak out - they should, if they feel they can or want to - but that we still have sooooooo far to go in changes of attitude.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    The rest of the Runaways have, for whatever reason, denied Jackie's story repeatedly across the years. Maybe they were in denial, or scared about what would happen if they would admit the sexual abuse they all suffered at the hands of this arsehole, or too wiped out on their party drugs of choice to accurately recall the details.
    Actually if you read the story, her account is validated. Not all of them were there and they were extremely young. The rape detailed in the article had very wide repercussions on many who witnessed it. The band members are not at fault for the most public abuse, but it as grown-ups now, their continued silence is a bit mystifying.
    Sassiness likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

As I read the article, it brings me back to my early teen years. I, too, didn't have the "voice" to tell the boys or men to fuk off as they preyed on or primed me for sex. I lost my virginity on a cold concrete floor of a public bathroom because of that fear. He laughed at me after saying I was no longer a virgin and then went into the public pool searching for the next virgin (according to his friends)
    Took him a few weeks but he "got" me. 30 years later, it still bothers me.

Fuck fear. It's so immobilizing.

I can understand when any of the band members wouldn't want to say anything.
    Sassiness, BITTER and sluce like this.

They probably don't want to admit that they stood there and watched and did nothing, while thinking to themselves "thank god it's her and not me."
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Not only did they watch and do nothing, the account of the replacement bassist says they treated it as an ongoing *joke*.

Victory Tischler-Blue was Jackie’s replacement on bass, and one of her main memories from her time as a Runaway was how some of the other members made fun of what happened to Jackie. “I heard about that nonstop,” she says now. “They would talk about Kim fucking Jackie like a dog. It was kind of a running joke.”

They sound callous, twisted and cruel.
    InigoMontoya and Trixie like this.

I agree...but they were young. Not giving them a pass, but I think it's pretty typical in child abuse cases too, one seems to take the brunt of it, and the others distance themselves for self-preservation. Most likely they were all victimized by Fowley in one way or the other.
    Kittylady and greysfang like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Not only did they watch and do nothing, the account of the replacement bassist says they treated it as an ongoing *joke*.

They sound callous, twisted and cruel.
    This is the bit that makes it very hard for me to feel much sympathy for Joan Jett et al. They were obviously not denying the act itself, or that they were aware of it. But instead of siding with Jackie, they tormented her for it and then when she understandably cracked from the stress, teased her replacement about Jackie's breakdown.

It's all fucked up and sad and horrible for everyone, because yes as those have said above, that kind of behaviour is more to do with self preservation for the others than genuinely wanting to bully Jackie. But still... it's shitty and cunty and we can say they were bitches about it.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    As I read the article, it brings me back to my early teen years. I, too, didn't have the "voice" to tell the boys or men to fuk off as they preyed on or primed me for sex. I lost my virginity on a cold concrete floor of a public bathroom because of that fear. He laughed at me after saying I was no longer a virgin and then went into the public pool searching for the next virgin (according to his friends)
    Took him a few weeks but he "got" me. 30 years later, it still bothers me.

Fuck fear. It's so immobilizing.

I can understand when any of the band members wouldn't want to say anything.
    As a mother of a teenage girl, this story makes me rage. It also makes me sad for young you, White. That's a shit first experience.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

For the others sniggering and making a joke out of it, if one victim cries out, sometimes the others will make fun as an attempt to both distance themselves and cope with the fact that they have not said anything thus far.

"If *I* have been dealing with this own, why does this other person need help?"

Again, not excusing it, and JJ really needs to come out and talk about it (I'm sure the shame at her teenaged actions isn't helping in that regard) but as teen girls,their responses to this abuse fall in line with some traumatic responses.
    Sassiness likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    As a mother of a teenage girl, this story makes me rage. It also makes me sad for young you, White. That's a shit first experience.

Ya well, what can you do .. get a time machine? I wish! I'd punch the mofo while calling him every name in the book. I have a voice now!
    The upside is, it made me a better mother. I know what to teach my boys so that they will never treat girls like this.............and they don't.

Sometimes these experiences give people a tool to foster a better outcome for themselves or for others.

czb

^^^ you have a great attitude. but still sorry this happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ you have a great attitude. but still sorry this happened to you.

Aww shucks.... thank you (is that right response? sounds so weird lol)

group hug time!
    palta, sluce, Trixie and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information