Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Scumbag Joe Giudice's Deportation Appeal Denied By ICE as Final Decision Still Looms

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I love Shop Rite in NJ. The one usually go to is in Monmouth/West Long Branch. We have a Wegman's about 2 miles from our house in MD, but it is such a pain to drive into it's like Jaime Lannister trying to breach Edmure Tully's castle. And even looks a little like it.
    They just opened a brand new Shop Rite in Shrewsbury (behind Marshall's). It is bigger than the one in West Long Branch. I hit that store up at least twice a week! You should visit it

PS - Sorry for not multi-quoting
    Nevan, MohandasKGanja and Novice like this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

^^^ Ooh, I think he vacations in Long Branch, no? He'll have ShopRite at his doorstep!
    MohandasKGanja, Novice and dksnj like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Ask several native New Jerseyans and you'll get a different answer each time. Which is why there is no Central Jersey!! I have always lived at the Jersey Shore and we call tourists Bennys (and I get that it probably should be BennIEs, but that gets an argument too if it's ever brought up ... it's Bennys). ...
    i dunno if i agree with this. when talking with people from far away, i say 'shore points' because that's the exit sign. but the people i know in lakewood, jackson, brick, point pleasant, etc identify as central jersey. i've never heard of people from there saying they are from south jersey. to me, south jersey is south of ocean county.

agree about the benny thing. but most of the beaches i used to go to were benny-free.

As a certified Benny, I think of central NJ as anything south of 195/Shore Points, and north of Atlantic City (or maybe Marlton).

I also wanted to say that I have this stereotype of northern NJ women as these Italian-looking women, with at least two kids walking along their cart at Shop Rite. And the moms still look hot, but tough -- like they will absolutely hand your *ss to you if you step out of line.
    dksnj likes this.

Okay, this may sound weird, but I grew up with really weird people. I was always told that anything south (and including) Lakewood was considered Piney land (the Pine Barrens ... which is one of the largest and one of the purest aquifers in the country), and that NOTHING considered a Piney could have anything to do with North (or Central, which you will never convince me (or anybody I know that lives around here) exists) Jersey. I have read a lot about the Pine Barrens (one of my ex's graduate papers was about the Pine Barrens too) and I've grown up with people that consider themselves proud to be Pineys (it's kind of a derogatory term ... people that live there were considered exceptionally stupid and inbred, but this turned out to be based almost entirely on a study some psychologist did in the early 1900s ... there was a small group of people there, but they lived in absolute poverty and most of their learning difficulties were attributed to fetal alcohol syndrome due to cheap moonshine being very abundant). No self-respecting Piney would ever consider themselves anything but a South Jerseyan. LOL

But honestly, there really isn't anything legal or official that claims there is a Central Jersey, at least not that I know of. I know several businesses that call themselves Central Jersey whatever (I used to work for a now defunct bank called Central Jersey Bank while going to business school). It may have come about as an easier way to locate places or direct people ... I mean, we are the most densely populated state in the country.

I did find some of you naysayers some "proof" but it really makes no sense. I mean ... if you go by this, Monmouth County is South Jersey? I live in Ocean County and I believe by any definition, we would be South Jersey, but Monmouth? But this is Reddit, so .... read some of the comments, lol. If there's one thing you can say about New Jerseyans, we are a passionate (maybe too nice of a word for "easily agitated") state!!
    Novice likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

czb

ok - the people i know from lakewood don't consider themselves piney.

wiki has an entry for central jersey but obv i don't give that so much weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Jersey

as i recall, the HS playoffs had a 'central' category -

https://www.maxpreps.com/playoffs/br...tball&state=nj

other items:

https://pallone.house.gov/about/our-district

https://www.cjfhc.org/index.php/en/

https://www.cjbcblood.org/

so, these things aren't 'official' but yeah, there is some evidence that 'central' really exists.
    Novice likes this.

My biological father is in rural Lakewood (well, it used to be considered rural) and has a large family, all consider themselves Pineys. His family goes back three generations (my great-grandparents). As I said, there are lots of businesses that call themselves Central Jersey whatever, which include two or three of your links and none of that is official. I don't consider a high school football playoff the definitive answer for whether there is a Central or not. I don't consider PR for anything to be the last word on Central Jersey either because none of this stuff is official. I looked at the wiki entry earlier and didn't post it because it's ... well, wiki. And the very first paragraph says:

"Central Jersey is the central region of the U.S. state of New Jersey. The designation of central New Jersey with a distinct toponym is a colloquial one rather than an administrative one, with no official definition and even a contentious taxonomic existence.[2][3]"

Look, we could both sit here and post dueling articles, but you cannot convince me that there is a legit Central Jersey. There are MANY debates all over the internet about this, so we're not alone in being for and against.

ETA: The actual New Jersey Pine Barrens map shows that the PB land extends north of Lakehurst, and extends into part of Lakewood, including the part that my father owns (somewhere between 13-16 acres).

Once NJ sorts out the North/South thing they're going to decide once and for all if it's pork roll or taylor ham
    Nevan and dksnj like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^ Omg, that pulls Philly into the whole argument. I don't know if I want to screw with Philly. I think pretty much everyone in South Jersey calls it pork roll. If you buy it in a store (ShopRite!!!), it's in a box or a cheese sack wrapped in cellophane that says Taylor Pork Roll all over it. I think they're just messing with us!!

I don't know if this will show up as I have to select a specific ShopRite location, but this is the one in the stores around me (and that I buy): https://shop.shoprite.com/store/96ee...00041208010606

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ...Look, we could both sit here and post dueling articles, but you cannot convince me that there is a legit Central Jersey. There are MANY debates all over the internet about this, so we're not alone in being for and against.
    WHOA

i didn't say anything was official. i'm just saying that some people identify as being from central jersey. and none of the lakewood people i know (count them in the 3 digits) call themselves pineys. that DOESN'T mean that there aren't people out there who do. just *my* experience ....
    Novice and witchcurlgirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Once NJ sorts out the North/South thing they're going to decide once and for all if it's pork roll or taylor ham
    In the Bronx we call it Taylor Ham. We never ate it as breakfast food with egg and cheese. Always cold Taylor ham and yellow American cheese with mayo on white bread.

Now I want a bodgea baconeggandcheese.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

I lived in Philly (mostly South Philly) for 19 years. I never heard of Central Jersey. Only North or South Jersey. So many good beaches! Point Pleasant was my favorite because it wasn’t so crowded like Wildwood, or Ocean City for example. I wonder if Whale Beach is still free.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I actually live in Long Branch and I consider myself from 'Central Jersey'. To me, Ocean & Monmouth I consider Central Jersey. Anything over the Driscoll Bridge I consider North Jersey. Anything south of Ocean County I consider South Jersey.

I was born in the Bronx, but moved to Fair Haven when I was 7 and we've always called it Pork Roll. I believe "Taylor" is the brand name.
    Last edited by dksnj; April 24th, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
    czb and Novice like this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Where in the Bronx?

Pelham Bay. i went to PS71 until 2nd grade. Did/do you live there?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information