Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Sarah Hyland Slams Eating Disorder Rumors, Reveals Health Struggles

Ugh poor girl has been through a lot in her young years.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Dialysis sucks big time. I used to have to drive my mom to Dade county when she visited because my area no longer has a dialysis office. It takes so much out of you, I'd see other people from the keys, younger ones too, that had to go through that shit. I always felt so horrible when we'd leave. I hope this works for her, I like her too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Dialysis sucks big time. I used to have to drive my mom to Dade county when she visited because my area no longer has a dialysis office. It takes so much out of you, I'd see other people from the keys, younger ones too, that had to go through that shit. I always felt so horrible when we'd leave. I hope this works for her, I like her too.
    A long time ago, I read an article on The Atlantic. It was called "God help You - You're on Dialysis". It was a very bleak assessment of the situation people on dialysis face - and basically because the system of providing dialysis is so messed up. The link to the article is below, but below the link, you have to read the intro....

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...alysis/308308/

"Every year, more than 100,000 Americans start dialysis. One in four of them will die within 12 months—a fatality rate that is one of the worst in the industrialized world. Oh, and dialysis arguably costs more here than anywhere else. Although taxpayers cover most of the bill, the government has kept confidential clinic data that could help patients make better decisions. How did our first foray into near-universal coverage, begun four decades ago with such great hope, turn out this way? And what lessons does it hold for the future of health-care reform??

The sad thing is that after 11 months of dialysis, quite a few probably want to die because it's such a bad thing to go through 3 times a week.

I had some (thankfully minor) kidney issues when I was a kid, and I can remember sitting in what passed for a waiting room with all the people on dialysis. It scared the bejeezus out of me because I thought that was where I was headed. Fortunately, it never came to that, but 30+ years later, I'm amazed that they haven't come up with a better way to do this. I hope they do soon because it's just brutal.

On another note, I love how open Sarah is being about her scars. My niece had open heart surgery a few months ago (she's fine now -yay!), and she's going to have an impressive scar to show for it forever. Seeing someone put it out there as just a thing, not something that makes you weird or ugly, helps normalize it and I think that's wonderful.

I have a friend who had a kidney transplant years ago, after going through dialysis for a couple of years.
    He always knew there was a high chance his issue would come back after a while, and it did, so doctors are doing everything they can now to slow down the progression of his illness until he needs dialysis and potentially another transplant.
    He did lose a lot of weight lately, and he does eat a very specific diet with lean proteins and a long list of foods he has to avoid.
    Last edited by GRuser1; December 13th, 2018 at 07:07 AM.

Bronze Member

This past year, I administered peritoneal dialysis.....as opposed to hemodialysis.....to an old fellow. Every day for eight or nine hours, but we accomplished this in his home. I was trained for a week, the machine was the size of, say, a microwave oven, and the major concern was the need to be aseptic. The machine, when it works, is miraculous.

Yesterday, I took the old man to his regular, monthly check-up. He is doing quite well for an 88-year-old.

I will tell you all, though, that the strain, the responsibility, the pressure of administering daily dialysis is overwhelming. There is literally no one else in my small town who is able to run the machine.

My beloved brother passed away this year. For a very long time, life was unbearable. But, still, there was the daily dialysis.....

I'm sorry about your brother but it's a wonderful thing that you are doing for your small town.

My aunt was on dialysis for years before she finally died of kidney disease. She lost her foot right before she started the dialysis and she once told me she'd rather lose both feet than go through the dialysis every other day.

My mom and I went down to visit her in SC before she died (she moved in with her daughter following her amputation), and at that point she really didn't know what was going on. She didn't seem to recognize her daughter (she kept calling her by my mom's name - she was really confused about time), but for some reason she knew who I was. It was jarring, her looking at my cousin (who is older than I am, but not nearly old enough to be my mother) and calling her Chrissy and then when my actual mother pointed at me and asked her who I was, she said, "that's Meg." Anyway, despite all her confusion, she knew exactly when she was supposed to go for dialysis and when her nurse never came to get her, she was upset and insisted upon going. Suffice to say, I pushed the issue, naively believing she could somehow be cured - they asked her what she wanted and she said she wanted to go, so they took her and she began bleeding during the session, became comatose and never woke up. It's a brutal, brutal death. I still remember her asking my mom if she was dying and my mom saying, "you know your kidney disease... well, you're at the end." I don't think she ever really understood. My dad is a diabetic with one kidney and I pray regularly (and I'm an atheist) that he never has to go through that kind of end.

This girl is brave as hell.
    Mrs P and BITTER like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Elite Member

Before my mom died, we decided to put her on dialysis so she could be coherent when she saw her grandchildren for the last time. While it was a selfish motive on the family's part, she expressed gratitude that she was able to talk to all of us one last time.
    Seeing her interact the the grands & tell her stories from childhood was a great experience.
    Wow, I miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Before my mom died, we decided to put her on dialysis so she could be coherent when she saw her grandchildren for the last time. While it was a selfish motive on the family's part, she expressed gratitude that she was able to talk to all of us one last time.
    Seeing her interact the the grands & tell her stories from childhood was a great experience.
    Wow, I miss her.
    Before my mom passed away, she was coherent enough for all of us to tell her how much we loved her and for her to do the same. I would want my own kids to prop me up with enough pills and painkillers to say goodbye.....
    holly and Mrs P like this.

I lost a good friend to kidney disease. Her body rejected the first transplant and was left on dialysis because her antibodies were too high. You cannot stay on dialysis forever. She began having strokes and her body eventually couldnt take it any longer. She was so young and remained so positive despite all the obstacles thrown her way. Its a cruel disease and I certainly wouldnt wish it even on my worst enemy.
    holly likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Wow, I miss her.
    my goodness that sounds so hard. So good to have a lovely memory of her at the end though *hugs*
    mostroop and Mrs P like this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by origamiheart View Post
    This past year, I administered peritoneal dialysis.....as opposed to hemodialysis.....to an old fellow. Every day for eight or nine hours, but we accomplished this in his home. I was trained for a week, the machine was the size of, say, a microwave oven, and the major concern was the need to be aseptic. The machine, when it works, is miraculous.

Yesterday, I took the old man to his regular, monthly check-up. He is doing quite well for an 88-year-old.

I will tell you all, though, that the strain, the responsibility, the pressure of administering daily dialysis is overwhelming. There is literally no one else in my small town who is able to run the machine.

My beloved brother passed away this year. For a very long time, life was unbearable. But, still, there was the daily dialysis.....
    Let us all think a good thought for my old fellow. Tonight, he might decide he wants to sail Home. His name is Alvin.

My mom's best friend was on dialysis. Her kidneys failed after her stroke. Then she developed congestive heart failure, so they couldn't do a transplant. The CHF killed her in 2010. She was a pack a day smoker and a heavy drinker. So much tragedy in her life She outlived her son and her grandson.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information