Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: Sam Smith on his gender fluidity: ‘I feel just as much woman as I am man’

Default Singer Sam Smith: ‘I Am Changing My Pronouns To They/Them’

"After a lifetime of being at war with my gender..."Singer Sam Smith announced to the world Friday that he prefers to be called only by gender-neutral pronouns.In a lengthy Instagram post Friday, the British singer-songwriter asks fans to help him "embrace myself for who I am" by using the pronouns "they" and "them" in reference to him.

"I've decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM after a lifetime of being at war with my gender I've decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out," Smith's post begins. "I'm so excited and privileged to be surrounded by people that support me in this decision but I've been very nervous about announcing this because I care too much about what people think but f**k it!

I understand there will be many mistakes and misgendering but all I ask is you please please try. I hope you can see me like I see myself now."Smith goes on to say that he does not yet understand what it means to live as a "non-binary" person and that he will be learning as time goes on.Smith goes on to say that he does not yet understand what it means to live as a "non-binary" person and that he will be learning as time goes on."I am at no stage just yet to eloquently speak at length about what it means to be non-binary but I can't wait for the day that I am," said Smith. "So for now I just want to be VISIBLE and open.

If you have questions and are wondering what this all means I'll try my best to explain but I have also tagged below the human beings who are fighting the good fight everyday. These are activists and leaders of the non binary/trans community that have helped me and given me so much clarity and understanding."As noted by HuffPost, Smith has been heralding this move regarding his gender identity in recent months.

Back in March, he told Jameela Jamil that he began to question his identity after hearing the experiences of genderqueer and nonbinary people."When I saw the nonbinary, genderqueer, and I read into it, and I heard these people speaking, I was like, 'F**k, that is me,'" Smith said at the time. "Nonbinary, genderqueer is that you do not identify in a gender ― you are just you. You are a mixture of all different things. You are your own special creation.

That's how I take it: I'm not male or female. I think I float somewhere in between. It's all on the spectrum."Most recently, Smith began taking his new identity to the next level by wearing heels on the red carpet for the 2019 GQ Men of the Year Awards last week."Tonight I wore heels for the first time to an award show,"

Smith said in another Instagram post. "I've just got home from a gorgeous evening and as I was walking to my front door I stopped and listened to my heels clonking against the floor. And I just thought 'F*** YES'!! There was a time where I thought I'd never ever ever be able to be myself like this in front of the industry or anyone.

It feels so good and I just wanted to share that with you all, and share a picture of my GORJ Gucci heels. They'll always be my virgin heels.

"https://www.dailywire.com/news/51757/singer-sam-smith-i-am-changing-my-pronouns-paul-bois?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_cam paign=benshapiro

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

But... But... It's bad grammar!
    sprynkles, Sarzy, SHELLEE and 7 others like this.

^^^^
    i know but it’s the only gender neutral alternative that has any chance of gaining any traction though. Good luck trying to make 'ze', 'zir' or'zem' happen...

As for Sam, good for them. Still boring and overrated though.
    Kittylady, Rusalka and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Maybe I'm old and set in my ways, but I can't be bothered with these labels unless they're a personal friend or its business related.
    Sarzy, SHELLEE, DawnM74 and 3 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Whatever dude.

Call me when you've got the stones to trot out in some real stilettos, heffa.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Insufferable twat.
    SHELLEE, Sarzy and DawnM74 like this.

Damn and here I was trying to bite my tongue. Do whatever makes you happy but messing around with pronouns is doing my head in.
    Sarzy and SHELLEE like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Referring to someone as they/them when they ask is pretty much the minimum one can do and I fail to see why anyone would get up in arms about it. Granted, I live in an obnoxiously "woke" city, but most millennials and younger I know use "they/them" often for people they don't know well and think it's rather uncouth to use the pronouns someone specifically asked them not to.

Good for Sam Smith. I still think their songs are whiny drivel, but the reaction even from this thread shows how important a public figure taking this step is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Damn and here I was trying to bite my tongue. Do whatever makes you happy but messing around with pronouns is doing my head in.
    Lol yes, I was trying to keep quiet too but I agree
    Sleuth, Kittylady, SHELLEE and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    Referring to someone as they/them when they ask is pretty much the minimum one can do and I fail to see why anyone would get up in arms about it. Granted, I live in an obnoxiously "woke" city, but most millennials and younger I know use "they/them" often for people they don't know well and think it's rather uncouth to use the pronouns someone specifically asked them not to.

Good for Sam Smith. I still think their songs are whiny drivel, but the reaction even from this thread shows how important a public figure taking this step is.
    I have no idea who they are, but yeah, if they want to be referred to as "they", well, how different is it from calling "Marilyn Manson" - "Marilyn Manson", because that's how he wants to be called, and not by his birth name?
    It might just take some getting used to
    Lalasnake likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I have no idea who they are, but yeah, if they want to be referred to as "they", well, how different is it from calling "Marilyn Manson" - "Marilyn Manson", because that's how he wants to be called, and not by his birth name?
    It might just take some getting used to
    It's different because that is a name. Sam isn't saying not to use Sam though.

Elite Member

The pronoun thing bugs me because I'm a stickler for grammar and I want to know who I'm talking about. When I have seen they, it always takes me awhile to realize there aren't two people. On FB, someone was talking about a very young kitten that you couldn't tell the gender yet and was using "they" I was so confused because I knew there was only one kitten, but then I thought maybe there were two. Back in the day, we'd say "it" for a kitten. I doubt the kitten cares what pronoun you use for him/her. (I'm not suggesting it for a person! -- just pointing out that they is being used beyond people by some.)

I'm too old and pronouns are too ingrained in me for this. I understand wanting a pronoun that truly reflects who you are, but they is so confusing to this old woman.
    SHELLEE, Ravenna and dilligaf like this.

I don’t really get the needto transform language to make it more inclusive, but I’m not transgender so I get that it’s not about what I want, and if someone wants me to use a certain pronoun, I will. And it’s a small effort. I understand the initial reaction to push back, and thinking you’re too old to get used to it but we learn new stuff all the time even as we get older and it can be done. If my 68 year old mom can learn to use a smartphone or Facebook even though she didn’t grow up with them, she can make the effort to use people’s chosen pronouns. She had no idea what transgender was but now, she gets that it’s a thing, that gender isn’t binary but a spectrum and that transgender and non-binary people are not hurting anyone, they’re just asking to be recognised for who they are. She saw what her two gay brothers went though when LGBT rights weren’t even a thing and not saying there’s no homophobia anymore but it’s nothing like it used to be and people adapted to gay people no longer living in the closet and trying to pretend they were straight, we no longer conceived of the family as only being a hetero couple and their kids. This isn’t all that different.

the one thing I cannot fucking stand though is Latinx. Stop trying to make Latinx happen! It’s not only stupid looking and sounding, it doesn't make sense in Spanish which is what Latino and Latina are, and I hate the idea of Americans (even if they’re of Latin origin) imposing a word from their English speaking perspective without any thought as to whether it works in Spanish or not. There’s something vaguely colonialist about it that rubs me the wrong way. Let Spanish speakers in Spanish speaking countries have their own debate about gender neutral pronouns, which is a discussion that is taking place in Spain and Latin America. There’s a push to use “-e” as the neutral suffix, and “elle” as the pronoun.
    Last edited by sputnik; September 17th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
    mopar and jacquibaby like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    So was he feeling as much Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne as he was Sam Smith when he blatantly ripped off I Won't Back Down for Stay With Me?

And why isn't his fifteen minutes up yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzeehappee View Post
    I can't stand his music. Just can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    I can't either, and I just don't like this guy. I think his whiny music that makes me dislike him the most, but he himself just grates on me for whatever reason. His music is all one long cry fest, which means I can't hit the mute button fast enough anytime one of his songs comes on the radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Yep, his music makes me want to off myself. He must be the most miserable person on earth.
    All of the above. 👌
    Kittylady, Mivvi21 and DawnM74 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the one thing I cannot fucking stand though is Latinx. Stop trying to make Latinx happen!
    I didn't know that was a thing.

A few years ago here in Argentina they started using x like a gender neutral pronoun, i.e.: amigx, gatitx
    Now they are using e like a gender neutral pronoun, i.e.: amigue, gatite
    sputnik likes this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information