Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree354Likes

Thread: Ryan O'Neal Reunites with Daughter Tatum O'Neal and Grandkids

Was it Farrah's money? I feel so cynical about any whitewashing of his image at this point.
    firebrat1229 likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Poor Redmond. Ryan has all but destroyed his family without even thinking about it. Leigh Taylor-Young was smart to walk away from it all. I can't even watch Ryan's movies; I dislike him that intensely. Just like John Wayne.
    The thing with O'Neal was that he had such a soft/sweet image in many of his roles and had the sweet looks that fit that image. And then he turned out to be the exact opposite in real life.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

He definitely played on his looks and there was less competition in those days. Also, sad to say, many very beautiful women in Hollywood back then had poor self esteem and even one 'date' with Ryan was a compliment.
    HWBL, firebrat1229, BITTER and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    Is this a hostage situation? Maybe Ryan has a gun pointed at his back. Maybe Patrick was reading from a script. While having a gun pointed at him. Who knows.
    Yeah, it kinda shocked me, and especially since it's in such stark contrast to what Griffin had to say about their father. Maybe it's because Patrick didn't grow up around Ryan and just got to know him as an adult? Because the other 3 who did were sure fucked up.

The thing I thought was saddest in that article about Griffin was him saying he no longer spoke to Tatum. They went through so much together as kids, you'd think they might be close now that they're both adults and sober.
    firebrat1229 likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^^^^
    reading his comments, i think he was implying tatum isn't sober?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yeah, it kinda shocked me, and especially since it's in such stark contrast to what Griffin had to say about their father. Maybe it's because Patrick didn't grow up around Ryan and just got to know him as an adult? Because the other 3 who did were sure fucked up.

The thing I thought was saddest in that article about Griffin was him saying he no longer spoke to Tatum. They went through so much together as kids, you'd think they might be close now that they're both adults and sober.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    reading his comments, i think he was implying tatum isn't sober?
    That's what I thought as well, but hope we're wrong. I'm not quite sure why Tatum's battles with addiction hit such a very soft spot in me, but they really do in a way that is somehow deeper and sadder than other 'famous people that I read and gossip about but have never met.' One of their (Ryan and Farrah's) revolving door of PAs was a really good friend of mine at the time, and I heard so many horror stories. Maybe just because Tatum was luminescent in Paper Moon. Most probably because Paper Moon, and her performance in it, cut so very deep and close to her own already harrowing relationship with her father. All that talent at 9 years old, and he hated her for it.

https://youtu.be/IEQc-wtHAlw
    sputnik and Novice like this.

I'm shocked to hear his name not being mentioned in the #metoo movement. He seems like the type.
    SHELLEE and firebrat1229 like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Wow, I hadn't realized that Griffin looks so much like Ryan O'Neal. Wasn't Griffin the one driving the boat in which Francis Ford Coppola's son was killed?

Yes, he was. So much horror in that family.

https://apnews.com/article/d3b5d5bc2...85d9f99482a5d4
    SHELLEE likes this.

Thanks for posting that rollo, I'd never heard that story. So sad.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I want to start off by saying that I was really struck by how insightful, and lacking in bitterness, Griffin's statement was. He has been through a lot and is not throwing around blame. It seems like his mom was a big contributor to his problems, but I'm also seeing just a general failure to protect, as well as possibly some genetic stuff -- addictive personality. I think he looks pretty good, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    Is this a hostage situation? Maybe Ryan has a gun pointed at his back. Maybe Patrick was reading from a script. While having a gun pointed at him. Who knows.
    To me, it kind of feels like "second family syndrome". There are a certain set of guys who are terrible/missing/toxic dads the first time around. And then they mellow out, are not chasing as much tail, and they become either better fathers, or less bad fathers. That phenomenon is aided somewhat by children who WANT to have a good memory of their relationship with their dad - almost against all odds, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    The thing with O'Neal was that he had such a soft/sweet image in many of his roles and had the sweet looks that fit that image. And then he turned out to be the exact opposite in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    He definitely played on his looks and there was less competition in those days. Also, sad to say, many very beautiful women in Hollywood back then had poor self esteem and even one 'date' with Ryan was a compliment.
    I have read about Ryan O'Neal off and on over the years, and I think that a lot of people have no idea that O'Neal was considered a worse (and even more successful) womanizer than Warren Beatty. That Beatty was a distant #2 in that regard. I think they were equally good looking, but with apologies to HWBL, I think O'Neal was in better physical shape. But I could be wrong. Also, O'Neal flew under the radar and did not have the overt rep that Beatty had, so people didn't have their guard up.
    Brookie and rollo like this.

^^^^
    i think it depends the type of beauty you're drawn to. to me, warren beatty was gorgeous, with interesting features. ryan o'neal was good looking in that milk-fed all-american way but there was nothing really distinctive or interesting about him, and he never did anything for me. young o'neal had more than a passing resemblance to ryan reynolds, whose good looks i find equally uninspiring.
    czb, HWBL and Lofty Bike like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

yeah, i agree about warren. he's one of the few guys from that era that i say Wow about.
    sputnik and HWBL like this.

The only film I saw Joanna in was The Hindenburg. Never saw her other work. She was also several years older than Ryan. She was an addict for sure; living with him could only have made matters worse. I heard that after Tatum won her Oscar, Ryan was jealous of her. I bet he hit her. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Originally he and Diana Ross were supposed to make The Bodyguard together, but when their affair fizzled out, so did the movie. He claimed that she wasn't black enough. Yeah, um okay because Ryan is the final arbiter on what makes a black person black...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
    crayzeehappee likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The only film I saw Joanna in was The Hindenburg. Never saw her other work. She was also several years older than Ryan. She was an addict for sure; living with him could only have made matters worse. I heard that after Tatum won her Oscar, Ryan was jealous of her. I bet he hit her. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Originally he and Diana Ross were supposed to make The Bodyguard together, but when their affair fizzled out, so did the movie. He claimed that she wasn't black enough. Yeah, um okay because Ryan is the final arbiter on what makes a black person black...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
    I remember reading about that a while back. I think she may have backed out ultimately, and he was pissed at her. But what I remember reading about 30 years ago was what I also found below (https://diana-ross.freeforums.net/th...ated-monster):

"Diana told friends she wanted to marry Ryan O'Neal. But after their brief romance in 1979, he said of her, "Diana Ross doesn't want to show her body, doesn't want to do sex scenes on the screen and doesn't want to be black."
    BITTER likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information