Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rosie O'Donnell suffers heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Didn't seem to affect Jim Fixx till he keeled over on his morning run. Autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.
    I can't believe I forgot about Jim Fixx (I started running around the time his book came out). I think his dad also had died of a heart attack at an even younger age.

Genetics always get ya. That's a bigger factor than poor diet and being out of shape.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Genetics and smoking, I heard. At least when it comes to women.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Genetics always get ya. That's a bigger factor than poor diet and being out of shape.
    Both my parents had hernias. So, I've always tried to make sure I'm working my abdominals, as well as not getting weight around my midsection. But once again, when both parents have something like that, it seems like it's destiny that you will be vulnerable to it.

Elite Member

My husband had a heart attack at 47. His father had had one at 51, but he was a smoker, so my husband figured he was safe. Turns out that having a parent who had an early heart attack is one of the single biggest risk factors for having one.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Family History - Family History - am-i-at-risk - Heart Healthy Women

Family History

What is a family history of heart disease?

You have a family history of early heart disease in a first-degree relative (parent, brother or sister, or child) was diagnosed with heart disease or died suddenly from heart problems before age 65 in female relatives, or before age 55 in male relatives.

How does family history put me at risk?

Heart disease is a complex disease that is partly caused by genes inherited from your parents. These genetic factors and their interaction with lifestyle factors (such as diet and exercise) determine your likelihood of developing heart disease and heart disease risk factors.

Heart disease tends to cluster in families because genes that predispose someone to develop major heart disease risk factors (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol) run in families. In addition, families often share unhealthy habits such as smoking, lack of exercise, and poor diet.

How much does family history increase my risk for heart disease?

A positive family history of early heart disease puts you at increased risk for heart disease, even if you don't have other risk factors such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity.1

Women with a family history of early heart disease have up to a 3-fold higher risk of heart attack and a 5-fold higher risk of dying from heart disease than women with no family history of heart disease.2, 3 Some studies suggest that a family history of heart disease may be a stronger risk factor in women than in men, but this has not been fully proven.4 Among people who had a heart attack at age 60 or younger, more women than men have a parent, brother, or sister with heart disease.5

Does the risk vary depending on the family member(s) affected?

Several factors affect how much a positive family history increases your risk for heart disease. The younger your relative(s) were when they developed heart disease and the more affected relatives you have, the higher your risk.5, 6 One study found that women who had a single parent or sibling with heart disease were twice as likely to have a heart attack as women without a family history, while those with 2 or more relatives with heart disease were over 4 times as likely to have a heart attack.2 If you have a sister or brother with heart disease, you are also at higher risk than if you have only a parent with heart disease. This is because in addition to genes, siblings usually grow up with the same lifestyle risk factors (such as bad diet and lack of exercise).7-9 A Swedish study also found that heart disease is more likely to be inherited from your mother than your father possibly because of conditions in the womb, and because children often spend more time with their mothers and so may be more likely to acquire unhealthy behaviors from them.10

Why is family history important if I can't change it?

Even though you can't change your family history, it's important for people with a strong family history of heart disease to lower their overall risk by focusing on the risk factors they can change. Most people whose parents or siblings have heart disease have at least one other risk factor such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.11 Risk factors are often inherited, and knowing which ones run in your family can help you target those for which you are at the highest risk. In nearly all cases, these risk factors are caused by many different genes, some of which aren't completely understood, so DNA testing isn't usually helpful. In addition to heart disease, many other health problems such as certain cancers run in families. Knowing your family history can help you learn which preventive health strategies are best for you.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

My boyfriend died last year of a massive heart attack. He was only 38, and while he had some unhealthy habits (major love for craft beer and fancy strains of weed), he was active and ate right and walked nearly everywhere he went in the city. I am still floored that it happened to him and I wish there was some way to know something like that was on the horizon so we could do something about it. For all the preventive measures that common knowledge tells us to do, it's shocking how many seemingly healthy people who do most of the right things drop dead because they never knew how seriously in danger they were.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    My boyfriend died last year of a massive heart attack. He was only 38, and while he had some unhealthy habits (major love for craft beer and fancy strains of weed), he was active and ate right and walked nearly everywhere he went in the city. I am still floored that it happened to him and I wish there was some way to know something like that was on the horizon so we could do something about it.
    Very sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Not necessarily. Women have angina symptoms that are not always classic. They don't always get the crushing mid-chest pain that radiates to your jaw or arm. It is often much less obvious. That said, women don't tend to get typical coronary artery disease until about 10 years after menopause.
    My grandma died of a heart-attack that she thought was just gas.

My dad had a double-bypass recently. He is a heavier gentleman, but he brought his cholesterol way down and wasn't worried at all about his heart. He works out every day and was noticing that he was getting very tired very quickly when running. The doc had him do a stress test, and they found a blockage in one of the junctions of the arteries. Apparently some damage was done to that area when he was young, and plaque built up as a result. You don't have to have bad cholesterol; it can just be a result of an accident early in your life.

My boyfriend died last year of a massive heart attack. He was only 38, and while he had some unhealthy habits (major love for craft beer and fancy strains of weed), he was active and ate right and walked nearly everywhere he went in the city. I am still floored that it happened to him and I wish there was some way to know something like that was on the horizon so we could do something about it. For all the preventive measures that common knowledge tells us to do, it's shocking how many seemingly healthy people who do most of the right things drop dead because they never knew how seriously in danger they were.
    So sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lalasnake View Post
    Apparently some damage was done to that area when he was young, and plaque built up as a result. You don't have to have bad cholesterol; it can just be a result of an accident early in your life.
    I think it can happen if you had rheumatic fever as a child.

Elite Member

My family history is freaking scary with heart problems. My dad had a heart attack at 44, his mother at 36 (and 4 more followed until she died at 54), his father first had one at 42 (died of his second one at 72), his sister at 46. On my maternal side, my mother's maternal grandparents and 2 uncles all died before 50 of heart attacks. Every.single.one. also smoked more than 2 packs a day. My father has never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol. While larger, he was pretty fit. His doctor chalks all his heart issues up to smoking.

Elite Member

Fish oil helps improve your lipids and it also makes your platelets less sticky (reducing the risk of a clot developing). It is also good for brain health and mood. For anyone who is worried about heart disease and aging gracefully, you should look into a fish oil product that is purified (to remove mercury). The only people who shouldn't take fish oil are those with bleeding disorders (trouble clotting).

They do know quite a bit about risk factors now, and there are algorithms for calculating your 10-year risk based on things like age, family history, lipids, waist to hip ratio, blood sugar levels, etc. You can do a lot proactively but only if you know what you are up against and have a physician who is on top of preventive medicine.

Elite Member

That is horrible. Horrible. I am so sorry you lost him, and in such a shocking way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information