Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rosie O'Donnell suffers heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, glad to hear she's okay.

I wonder if there is any indication, via blood test, that she was suffering from arteriosclerosis like this. Wouldn't you have a high cholesterol level as a precursor to arterial blockage?
    My dad Has had high blood pressure since he was in his mid20's- hereditary. He was a college basketball player and in prime shape when it manifested itself. He has been on meds since then and he is now in his 60's. For 40+ years he has avoided red meat, pork, salt etc, worked out 4 days a week and has a normal cholesterol level. Last year he had some chest pains and went to the hospital. They discovered the widow maker- he needed a triple bypass. They said it would have killed him within months if it hadn't been caught. He was a surgeon at the time, he didn't notice a thing.

Most of my paternal family members have died from heart issues so I am super nervous about things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    This has to be false. If she has a 99% blockage to her freakin' heart, she's not okay, and she certainly wouldn't have been sent home to 'rest comfortably'.
    My dad stayed in the hospital for about a week (after a triple bypass!) and they sent him home to rest comfortably. Followed by rehab. So it's possible that what she's saying might be true. It must have been a short hospital stay and I don't think you get rehab with a stent, so she likely is just resting.

More importantly, why did she only get a stent with a 99% blockage? They offered that to my dad and he said hell no, you'll just end up with more problems down the line.

Elite Member

Usually a heart attack occurs when a blood clot forms in a coronary artery where there is already atherosclerosis. It's the clot on top of/near the atherosclerotic plaque (lesion) that causes the complete/near complete blockage of the artery, and it's possible for a clot (thrombus) to form even if the plaque isn't that big. There are other factors besides just your cholesterol that contribute to your risk of a clot forming and a heart attack happening--though cholesterol is a factor.

Anyway, it's possible to have atherosclerosis and not be aware of it or think it isn't that bad and then have a heart attack.

Statin drugs (Lipitor, etc.) lower cholesterol and also seem to 'calm down' plaques, which helps prevent heart attacks. Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd.
    More importantly, why did she only get a stent with a 99% blockage? They offered that to my dad and he said hell no, you'll just end up with more problems down the line.
    There is a wealth of data out there regarding when to treat with a stent versus when to perform a bypass. If someone is having a heart attack (versus a less urgent situation) the fastest and best way to treat it is usually with a stent if possible. If you're not in the middle of a heart attack and it's a less urgent situation they weigh a variety of factors when deciding whether to do stenting or perform bypass. They have this down to a science, so to speak.
    Last edited by BBDSP; August 20th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Rosie O’Donnell Suffered a Heart Attack After Helping a Fat Lady Get Out of a Car

In the most American thing to ever happen, comedian Rosie O'Donnell suffered a massive heart attack last week after struggling to help "an enormous woman" out of her car in a parking lot. She then saved herself using a tip she remembered from TV commercials.

O'Donnell, 50, described the trauma in a signature text-speak prose poem on her blog.

Things kicked off when a bossy fat lady, who probably now wishes she had not told her friends that charming story about how she met Rosie O'Donnell in a parking lot, demanded the comedian help her from her vehicle.
    while walking in a parking lot in nyack
    i heard a loud commanding voice

"can u help me"

more of a demand than request
    a challenge – a plea
    i turned and saw an enormous woman
    struggling to get out of her car

she was stuck

"can u help me? she asked again
    as i walked toward her
    "oh u r rosie odonnell"
    yes i am
    Hours after helping the woman, whom O'Donnell describes as her "Ghost of Christmas future," (though her body type sounds more reminiscent of the Ghost of Christmas present), O'Donnell writes that she began to feel achy, sore, and bruised all over.
    i became nauseous
    my skin was clammy
    i was very very hot
    i threw up
    Despite feeling ill, O'Donnell never called 911. Instead, she performed a Google search for "womens [sic] heart attack symptoms" and popped some Bayer aspirin, as TV commercials had instructed her to do.

The next day, O'Donnell visited her doctor and learned that her coronary artery was 99 percent blocked. She was rushed to the hospital where a stent was inserted.
    they call this type of heart attack
    the Widow maker
    i am lucky to be here
    O'Donnell said it is "a miracle" that she is still alive. Her publicist reported to People that she is resting comfortably at home, and "very, very lucky."

Earlier this month, O'Donnell revealed that her fiancée Michelle Rounds had been diagnosed with desmoids tumors, an extremely rare, sometimes fatal disease.

She ended Monday's blog post with a plea that women who believe they are suffering a heart attack call 911.

The unspoken advice: never help a stranger.

Rosie O'Donnell Suffered a Heart Attack After Helping a Fat Lady Get Out of a Car

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

God forgive me for my very first unfiltered thought after reading the title.
    Ravenna and southernbelle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Is she saying that a Bayer asprin saved her from "the widow maker?"
    Actually aspirin has a proven benefit in heart attacks. Most doctors will tell you to CHEW an aspirin as you are calling 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    You'd think she'd have some symptoms. I mean 99% blockage in a major artery? Wow. I'm curious how she ended up getting help, since she says she didn't call 911 and how she survived it with that kind of blockage. Are Bayers really the wonder drug?
    Not necessarily. Women have angina symptoms that are not always classic. They don't always get the crushing mid-chest pain that radiates to your jaw or arm. It is often much less obvious. That said, women don't tend to get typical coronary artery disease until about 10 years after menopause.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    This has to be false. If she has a 99% blockage to her freakin' heart, she's not okay, and she certainly wouldn't have been sent home to 'rest comfortably'.
    I kinda read this as somewhat sensationalized too. It sounds like she had angina (chest pain associated with constriction of the blood vessels to the heart) and it was worked up appropriately and she needed a stent. That's not the same as having a heart attack. Not to say she wasn't lucky but it's Rosie so I'm irritated by her sensationalism.

This might help some of you one day: when my husband had chest & jaw pains some years ago I gave him 2 asprin. Called 911 & the paramedics gave him several more asprin-4 or so. Then after we got to the hospital and I told them the number of asprins he had been given,theyt STILL gave him more! Asprin saves. And don't be stingy with it-they sure aren't!
    rollo and MsChiff like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The unspoken advice: never help a stranger.

Well, maybe just skinny strangers.
    Bellatheball and MsChiff like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

That's the thing that kind of scares me. I fit that profile. The only thing that's out of whack is that while my total cholesterol is about 170 on average, my LDL/HDL ratio is 4:1, which is not good. Something could be building up, and I wouldn't necessarily know it.
    That is precisely what I wonder about, what can one do to find out IF you have atherosclerosis in time to do something about it. So many fit, healthy people with normal cholesterol levels have it and never know until they have a heart attack. There should be a 100% reliable, non-invasive way to check for that sort of thing. Angiograms are still the gold standard, but they are invasive and carry risks. Plus, they don't usually refer people unless other tests raised a flag. Stress tests, even nuclear stress tests, have false positives and false negatives. It seems like we are all sitting ducks.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

i've been super paranoid of having a heart attack since my dad had one, my friend's dad dropped dead of one a few months later and i smoke like a chimney.

if you have cardiac problems in your family and it is with the males, does it pass on to the females? my dad is pretty young to have had two heart attacks and a stroke already, but his dad was the same. the doctor told my brother it usually passes on to the oldest child so he better watch out (he's not the oldest, i am but i'm a girl). so i'm confused. i suppose i could google this lol. just needed to vent as i have been spending all day on the net googling my upper left chest pain and now reading this (and enduring a celebrity a day dying of a heart attack the last while).

i need a webMD intervention!

**after much research (five minutes) it effects both sexes and is worse if your mom had a heart attack before age 65 (must root for mom!)

^^Annika, I am in the same boat. My father had 3 heart attacks, the third one killed him. I am totally paranoid too and doing research hasn't made me feel any better. My father smoked, was very overweight, never exercised, never drank alcohol (which is supposed to be heart-healthy in moderation) and ate lots of bad stuff. After his first heart attack, which was mild, he was told to change his ways. He did not take it seriously and carried on, resulting in his second heart attack. That one did a lot of damage and limited him as far as physical activity, and his third one killed him several years later. This was back in the early - mid- 80's, treatments were not nearly as good as they are nowadays. I don't smoke, but am trying to get motivated to lose at least 10 pounds. What are you doing to try to be heart healthier? I've read that walnuts are super good for heart health, so I eat a handful every day. I also try to eat salmon more often and eat more olive oil. And I try to regularly drink pomegranate juice. It can't hurt.

I had a bout with palpitations and weird pressure several years ago, had a nuclear stress test, holter monitor, ekg's, echocardiogram and was pronounced heart-healthy. But after reading up on this, while nuclear stress tests are more accurate than regular stress tests, they still have plenty of false negatives. I wish there was a non-invasive way for them to look into our arteries and see if there is any clogging.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I forgot to mention. A while back my wife had a coworker as thin as me. No stomach - very healthy looking. He was a testicular cancer survivor, though (not sure that matters, though).

When he was 39, he had some pains in his chest, and went in to the doctor to have it looked at. After some diagnostic tests, they immediately booked him into the hospital for a triple (might have been quadruple) bypass. At 39. I don't remember what his family history was, though.

Here's the other thing I was wondering - if you are getting near a 99% blockage in a coronary artery, wouldn't it at least manifest itself in your cardiovascular capacity? Like, it would be hard to run or do endurance exercises?

Elite Member

My father had a massive heart attack at 44- in the ER or he'd be dead. They had a hard time bringing him back. They gave him a clot buster medication that cause his abdominal aorta to hemorrhage and again he nearly died 2x times while they operated.

At 46 he had a double angioplasty and a few months later a quadruple bypass. He had a true "widow maker" blockage- 100% blocked and they were actually scared that bypassing would kill him. He went into surgery with odds estimated at 15% survival.

He had no symptoms at all from start to finish.

Medical advice if you think you're having a heart attack is to pop some aspirin and start coughing. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm.

Pop the aspirin. But sorry to say, the coughing thing is bullshit.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Here's the other thing I was wondering - if you are getting near a 99% blockage in a coronary artery, wouldn't it at least manifest itself in your cardiovascular capacity? Like, it would be hard to run or do endurance exercises?

Didn't seem to affect Jim Fixx till he keeled over on his morning run. Autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Pop the aspirin. But sorry to say, the coughing thing is bullshit.
    I agree that it sounds like BS but hey, if it works for someone- even just one person!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information