Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Roman Polanski says fight for female equality is 'a great pity'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ Didn't you know you can say or do anything and get away with it just as long as you make good films?!
    Oh of course. Duh!
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Bronze Member Jane loves Summer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    You know what is really a pity? Dodging a rape charge your whole life.
    Dang, me and my workmates could rearrange his anatomy. I would love to see how he’d cope with a sweeping brush shoved up his ass! I’m sure he’ll get used to peeing and crapping through a little hole drilled into the side of his abdomen.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think his real complaint is that the Pill means less back-door action for him. The Pill has allowed women (and men) to control when they have families. And allowed rape victims (irony alert) to avoid being impregnated by their rapists. And help with other non-pregnancy issues. His statement is totally inexplicable.
    It makes no sense. Forcing women to have children makes them sexier? More feminine? I've heard Michael Savage (the radio guy) say similar things, but I doubt he or Roman are hankering for women who have birthed 6 kids and breast fed them all. Maybe it excites them that the young blushing rose, of a barely pubescent female, might get pregnant with their child.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Who cares what he says as long as he's still making good films? I'm curious to see this latest one and I love mathieu amalric.
    I'll go out on a limb and call him the greatest living film maker. Nothing is forcing me to reconcile the man with his movies, so I ain't gonna. If Roman ended up in prison, I'd probably shrug and still re-watch his movies.

^ Didn't you know you can say or do anything and get away with it just as long as you make good films?!
    Who is saying that? Who is personally offering Polanski protection for his words and deeds? Not me. I don't have that power. Blame the French or the Swiss for Polanski's freedom (or even our own, USA, federal judiciary which can't cobble together a coherent charge to get him extradited.) It's not the people like me (who think his films are amazing) who are keeping him out of prison.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I can't get passed his past deeds to watch his films and I refuse to put money in his pocket by patronising him, ditto Michael Jackson.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Besides, this article wasn't about his "brilliant" film making. It's about his comments so yeah, people are responding to them.

Anyway, I couldn't care less what a child rapist thinks about women or equality. Suck it Polanski.

no.

Some people separate the person from their art. You should check out Stephen Fry's brilliant comments with regard being emotionally conflicted by listening to Wagner.
    sputnik likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    no.

Some people separate the person from their art. You should check out Stephen Fry's brilliant comments with regard being emotionally conflicted by listening to Wagner.
    Then we can agree that Polanski is a great film maker who should be in jail and who should shut up about women and female equality...

The comment came across to me as, "The Pill = control over reproduction, which means women were and are now free to enjoy sex without regard to the risk of pregnancy like a man can, and that's a bad thing." And it makes absolutely no sense. Especially since prophylactic measures have been around *forever.*

Cause goodness knows, a woman shouldn't be able to enjoy sexual pleasure at will and be an initiator or the one who drives a sexual encounter; that's all the male's territory, you know.

What a dumb comment.

He just misses the days when you could feed a 13 year old ludes and ass rape her.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    Then we can agree that Polanski is a great film maker who should be in jail and who should shut up about women and female equality...
    I would second that.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    no.

There's no such thing as too much love for Stephen Fry.

I agree that Polanski is arguably our greatest living filmmaker. He's also a brilliant character actor who doesn't act often enough imo. That said, I also feel weird about actively supporting him by paying money to see his latest films. I wait until they come out on cable I'm paying for anyway, or when I can take a DVD out at the library or similar. I own VHS tapes or DVDs of his older films I love, and I watch those whenever I feel like it. That is my way of dealing with my feelings about him. Love his art, utterly despise him. There's no excuse for what he did and the thing of it is, people like him NEVER do that kind of thing once.

I'm just so boundlessly sick of people protecting child predators. For fuck's sake, world, please stop this shit.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I've never gotten into Roman Polanski. Maybe I've just seen an unfortunate selection - with "Frantic" being one of the most boring, turgid things I'd ever seen in a theater. However, I did like "Chinatown".

And how in the world does the Pill chase away "masculinise" women and "chase away the romance in our lives"? If anything, the Pill frees people to have purely romantic relationships without the worry of the participants becoming parents.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    It makes no sense. Forcing women to have children makes them sexier? More feminine?
    No just means women are squirting out more children for him to drug and anally rape.

polanski is a rapist who only likes women on his creepy terms. i can't support someone like that. sure, he's a cinematic genius, but he seems to have absolutely no redeeming qualities as a human being. i'm not that good at compartmentalizing.

i've enjoyed some of his movies in the past, but i can live with the memories of them. no need to ever see them again. *shrug*
    MentalNotes likes this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

everytime there's a polanski thread, we have the exact SAME discussion. And the exact same people on "he's a brilliant artist" side vs the "he's a fucking sicko pervert child RAPIST" on the other...
    Trixie and Bluebonnet like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

And the "and he's both" side.
    chartreuse likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information