Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

He was a magical man. It still tugs at my heart when he pops up on my TV. I miss him.

I get the sads every time this thread is bumped.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I get the sads every time this thread is bumped.

Me too. In World of Warcraft. For us gaming nerds they have a memorial for him (His Genie) that we can go visit. I know this is the nerd in me talking, but when I feel like utter shite, I go visit his genie and hang out for a bit till I feel better. Miss him terribly.

czb

man, i crossed the Gate today and forgot to look for the sign! bummer. will look for it next time i cross the bridge.
    sluce and cheray like this.

This warms my heart, I loved Robin, I still can't believe he's gone.

Robin Williams's widow reveals how dying actor fought 'chemical warfare in his brain'

Susan Schneider Williams has written about her husband’s struggle with Lewy body disease, a form of dementia that created a ‘terrorist’ inside his head

Robin Williams and his wife Susan Schneider Williams in 2012. ‘Robin was losing his mind and he was aware of it,’ she said. Photograph: Charles Sykes/APHelen Davidson

Saturday 1 October 201621.03 EDT
    Last modified on Saturday 1 October 201623.54 EDT

The widow of Robin Williams has lifted the lid on the actor’s struggle with a debilitating neurological disease in the months before he took his own life, likening it to “chemical warfare in his brain”.
    Writing in the journal of the American Academy of Neurology, Williams’ wife Susan Schneider Williams has detailed the final months of her husband’s life as the couple struggled to respond to his devastating decline in health.

Williams took his own life in August 2014.
    Three months before his death Williams was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, but Schneider Williams has previously revealed the autopsy identified that he had suffered from Lewy body disease (LBD).

In her essay, “the terrorist inside my husband’s brain”, she said doctors would later discover it was instead one of the worst cases they had ever seen.
    LBD is an incurable form of neurodegenerative disease. It is the second most common form of dementia after Alzheimer’s, with which it shares many symptoms, and can be misdiagnosed as Parkinson’s disease.
    In October 2013, on the couple’s second wedding anniversary, Williams experienced gut discomfort, and fear and anxiety which “skyrocketed to a point that was alarming”, Schneider Williams wrote.
    He had already been experiencing various physical ailments, which had been intermittent and which the couple and doctors had believed were unrelated. By December he would suffer from increasing levels of “paranoia, delusions and looping, insomnia, memory, and high cortisol levels”.
    After his death doctors found that a high concentration of Lewy bodies in his brain’s amygdala had caused the acute paranoia and “out-of-character emotional responses”.
    Schneider Williams described it as “chemical warfare in his brain”.
    “How I wish he could have known why he was struggling, that it was not a weakness in his heart, spirit, or character,” she said.
    Over the following months Williams suffered from panic attacks and memory loss, struggling to remember lines during the shooting of Night at the Museum 3.
    He kept saying, ‘I just want to reboot my brain’.
    His mental state declined, and Schneider Williams found herself increasingly unable to reassure his anxieties and insecurities.
    “Robin was losing his mind and he was aware of it. Can you imagine the pain he felt as he experienced himself disintegrating? And not from something he would ever know the name of, or understand? Neither he, nor anyone could stop it – no amount of intelligence or love could hold it back,” she said.
    “He kept saying, ‘I just want to reboot my brain’.”
    While had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, Schneider Williams wrote that after his death it became apparent that, pathologically, he suffered from diffuse LBD.
    “One neuropathologist described LBD and [Parkinson’s disease] as being at opposite ends of a disease spectrum. That spectrum is based on something they share in common: the presence of Lewy bodies – the unnatural clumping of the normal protein, a-synuclein, within brain neurons,” she said.

Schneider Williams said four doctors examined her husband’s autopsy report and final two years of medical records and they “indicated his was one of the worst pathologies they had seen”.
    “He had about 40% loss of dopamine neurons and almost no neurons were free of Lewy bodies throughout the entire brain and brainstem.”
    She said the medical team had been on the right track in diagnosing and treating Williams before he died, but she would never know if that would have made a difference.

“I am not convinced that the knowledge would have done much more than prolong Robin’s agony while he would surely become one of the most famous test subjects of new medicines and ongoing medical trials,” she said.
    “Even if we experienced some level of comfort in knowing the name, and fleeting hope from temporary comfort with medications, the terrorist was still going to kill him.”
    Schneider Williams, who was last week appointed to the American Brain Foundation’s board of directors, said she wrote the essay to increase neurologists’ understanding of patients and caregivers and to “add a few more faces” to the reasons they conduct research.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/02/robin-williamss-widow-reveals-how-dying-actor-fought-chemical-warfare-in-his-brain

this is the full essay:

The terrorist inside my husband's brain

i tried posting it but it's long and the formatting gets fucked up when you copy it and shows up as a gigantic wall of text.

Brookie and CornFlakegrl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

“Robin was losing his mind and he was aware of it. Can you imagine the pain he felt as he experienced himself disintegrating? And not from something he would ever know the name of, or understand? Neither he, nor anyone could stop it – no amount of intelligence or love could hold it back,” she said.
    “He kept saying, ‘I just want to reboot my brain’.”
    that's heartbreaking.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

It doesn't lessen the pain of losing Robin but it does give it some understanding why. So then, he was lucid. Very. He knew what was happening and did what he felt he needed to do. The legend wasn't just a funny man but the bravest mofo ever to exist. All hail Sir Williams. I'm so sorry he had to suffer (LBD) at all.
    spiderpig likes this.

My respect for this man has not wavered, nor has my admiration. It is heartbreaking.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

It's hard to imagine that the same brain responsible for all that wit and humor could degenerate into a thing that scared and terrorized him so much at the end. I can't imagine how frustrating and terrifying something like that would be to try and live with. It's like something out of a horror movie. Like stef said, it's heartbreaking.
    Trixie, HWBL, spiderpig and 2 others like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    It's hard to imagine that the same brain responsible for all that wit and humor could degenerate into a thing that scared and terrorized him so much at the end. I can't imagine how frustrating and terrifying something like that would be to try and live with. It's like something out of a horror movie. Like stef said, it's heartbreaking.

That is part of my huge admiration. I don't even want to try to imagine what a such a sharply tuned and used tool was capable of when sickness took it over.
    Waterslide and spiderpig like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Well-said. Pretty much what I was thinking, how awful that one of the most quick-witted and hilarious brains could have turned on him like that.
    Waterslide, HWBL and spiderpig like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread Information