Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

WBC <------------ THEY can go to hell !

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    WBC <------------ THEY can go to hell !

Oh, they will.

My son made the comment that if the WBC protests your funeral, you lived a good life. Ha!

I'm not someone who's effected much by celebrity deaths, but this one is just really sad to me. Maybe because it's just so shocking to me. I didn't know anything about his problems with depression, I just knew he was a recovering alcoholic from some interview I saw a while ago. I think the main reason I find it so sad is because my siblings and I loved so many of his movies growing up. Mrs Doubtfire, Jack, Hook, Toys...I feel like a part of my childhood is gone.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

I am even sure what the WBC stands for. (not that I care) But they seem to protest such a wide variety of people, cultures and values. I think they will protest anything that gives them media attention.

Westboro Baptist "Church". (quotation marks mine )
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by crayzeehappee View Post
    I'm not someone who's effected much by celebrity deaths, but this one is just really sad to me. Maybe because it's just so shocking to me. I didn't know anything about his problems with depression, I just knew he was a recovering alcoholic from some interview I saw a while ago. I think the main reason I find it so sad is because my siblings and I loved so many of his movies growing up. Mrs Doubtfire, Jack, Hook, Toys...I feel like a part of my childhood is gone.
    Ah yes...All of those are great, Hook is my all-time favorite childhood movie...it happened to be on TV a couple weeks ago, as a kid you don't really pay attention to all the details - watching it as an adult was a whole new great experience. Robin and Dustin (Hoffman) made a great pair as Peter Pan and Hook.

That was all at a time when movie making was based off talent, a great script, and great make-up/direction/producing.
    Now it's just casting couch "winners", conversations between actors which barely making a storyline, and 99% CGI.

(The only negative about that movie is recognizing Goopy (Gwen Paltrow) playing a young Wendy for half-a-second )

I haven't seen Jack in years - that one was a cute movie too...
    crayzeehappee likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Still crying after 8 days, Never heard a bad word about Robin, and I live a few miles from where he did & knew dozens of people who would have joyfully reported crap if there were any. The guy who used to cut my hair cut Robin's.

Robin was so kind to my friends & the troops overseas. I refuse to hear any crap about him.

Miss you so much, Robin!!!

Same here. Never met him myself, but have a handful of friends who did. Nary a negative word. One of those friends told me "you'd like him. He's our type. Shy, weird, superintelligent, and just very, very kind. And sad."

He does indeed seem to have been almost universally loved/liked/esteemed. Perhaps, despite the sorrow of his final chapter, he was a lucky man when all is said and done.
    spiderpig likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Still crying after 8 days, Never heard a bad word about Robin, and I live a few miles from where he did & knew dozens of people who would have joyfully reported crap if there were any. The guy who used to cut my hair cut Robin's.

Robin was so kind to my friends & the troops overseas. I refuse to hear any crap about him.

Miss you so much, Robin!!!
    I have just been amazed at all of the things I've read from people who knew him and the kindnesses he has done toward the famous and the non-famous. I wasn't a big fan of his manic, mile a minute schtick, but loved him in every other type of role.

If he was concerned about money, it was most likely a concern about success and failure, or being able to take care of others, not about having the most or best 'stuff.' I feel so sad for those who knew him. For myself, I was really looking forward to seeing him as a mature actor--he obviously had the ability and the depth. Poor guy, poor family.
    Wilson and spiderpig like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Is it wrong that I feel some anger towards the wives for "bleeding him financially dry"?

czb

^^^ yes it is wrong. no one bled him. and i don't think his financial problems are the same as what a lot of people experience. what's the big deal about selling a 35million dollar estate in napa? the night i saw him, he was leaving dinner and drove off in a cayenne. it's not like the guy had to pay for dinner by doing dishes or lives in a yurt on the tiburon peninsula ....
    Kittylady, effie2 and Sarzy like this.

IMO, yes. They did not bleed him. They married him. They stood by him through so much. Wife #2 guided his career and was responsible for many of the choices he made that made him so much money.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

it seems like so much money but the guy made a lot of money.

his 5000.00 shirt is like my 50.00 shirt. i always subtract a few zeros to understand celebrity financials.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Ah yes...All of those are great, Hook is my all-time favorite childhood movie...it happened to be on TV a couple weeks ago, as a kid you don't really pay attention to all the details - watching it as an adult was a whole new great experience. Robin and Dustin (Hoffman) made a great pair as Peter Pan and Hook.

That was all at a time when movie making was based off talent, a great script, and great make-up/direction/producing.
    Now it's just casting couch "winners", conversations between actors which barely making a storyline, and 99% CGI.

(The only negative about that movie is recognizing Goopy (Gwen Paltrow) playing a young Wendy for half-a-second )

I haven't seen Jack in years - that one was a cute movie too...
    One of my childhood friends
    was the Lost Boy "Don't Ask". I need to copy over his Facebook post. Beautiful.
    fuzuoko likes this.

Thread Information