Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

boy, robin is really making a difference. police don't want to release 911 tapes, twitter vp is speaking about abusing family members of the deceased. seems like everyone really respects him. and those who don't are gonna be in deeeeep shit.

wow the poor guy was fighting so many demons, breaks my heart.

White tigress, I'm so sorry. I went through two losses this year - if you need someone to vent to, please pm me.

Poor Robin - my BFF's dad has Parkinson's and it's a brutal disease. I pray Robin is in a better place - he was a truly genuinely good person.
    Brookie likes this.

Rest in Peace Mr. Williams. Thank you for all your brilliance, happiness, laughter and kindness you have brought worldwide. You are so missed and will always be, sir
    firebrat1229 and spiderpig like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    After days of intense speculation about Robin Williams's private struggles in the wake of his suicide, his widow, Susan Schneider, on Thursday made a stunning revelation: the comic had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid," Schneider said in a statement released via her husband's publicist. "Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

"Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly," she continued. "It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

Schneider's statement comes a day after Williams publicist shot down reports that the genius comic was dealing with financial troubles.

Williams, 63, was found dead in his home in northern California on Monday. He hanged himself.

Meanwhile, the Marin County Sheriff's Office is defending its handling of the case, specifically a press conference in which graphic details were released about Williams's suicide.

"The Sheriff's Office understands how the release of the kind of information you heard Tuesday may be viewed as disturbing by some, and as unnecessary by others, but under California law, all that information is considered 'public information' and we are precluded from denying access to it," Marin County Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said in an email to Yahoo on Thursday. "These kinds of cases, whether they garner national attention or not, are very difficult for everyone involved. Frankly, it would have been our personal preference to withhold a lot of what we disclosed to the press yesterday, but the California Public Records Act does not give us that kind of latitude."

In the coming days, there are more heartbreaking details yet to come.

"For the same reasons, we will likely be required to release to the media the 911 phone call we received from Mr. Williams's residence and the fire dispatch tapes that resulted as well," Boyd continued. "To date, we have received a staggering number of formal Public Act Requests to do so and we are required by law to make those disclosures within 10 days."

Boyd explained their office is looking for a loophole to withhold the tapes, but it isn't likely:

"While we continue working with our County Counsel's Office to determine if there might be an exemption in the Public Records Act that would allow us to withhold those tapes, my past experience has been that there is not and we will once again have to do what the law requires us to do."

During the press conference in question, Boyd revealed that Williams was found "clothed, slightly suspended in a seated position" and unresponsive with a belt around his neck. His left wrist also had several acute superficial wounds thought to be from a pocketknife that was found nearby.

Williams's assistant — who discovered the late actor's body — called 911 and "was distraught and indicated that it was an apparent suicide due to a hanging and that rigor mortis had set in," said Boyd.

The details prompted shock and outrage on social media.

Robin's daughter, 25-year-old actress Zelda Williams, had to suspend her social media accountsdue to online harassment about her father's death.

"We will not tolerate abuse of this nature on Twitter," Del Harvey, Twitter's vice president of trust and safety, said in a statement. "We have suspended a number of accounts related to this issue for violating our rules and we are in the process of evaluating how we can further improve our policies to better handle tragic situations like this one. This includes expanding our policies regarding self-harm and private information, and improving support for family members of deceased users."

Williams was survived by Schneider and three children from two previous marriages, Zelda, Zak, 31, and Cody, 22.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...184324914.html
    Wow. That explains a lot.... Robin's comedy was life itself and if he could no longer perform you might as well kill him right then and there. Whatever else caused his suicide, I really believe that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Can you just imagine it? Robin Williams unable to move or speak, trapped in an unusable body while his mind still intact? To watch yourself fade away bit by bit till there's nothing left except an empty shell? Can you imagine the torture he'd go thru? No way in Hell brother....he chose his own way to go rather than the countless years of suffering a living death and he did it before the disease prevented him from carrying it out Poor guy....I'm really gonna miss him.
    huntsy_2000 and Sylkyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Russell Brand:

I really liked this. Russell nailed it I think - Robin was a hilarious and charming part of our youth and just seemed like such a fun guy. When I was a kid, Robin was just this sort of loveable teddybear who was in some of my favourite movies and as I got older, I caught wind of some of his more adult stuff and it was hysterical. I caught Mrs. Doubtfire on TV over Xmas and all of us, family and friend, sat down to watch because you just got sucked in so quickly. This hyperactive, hairy little man was just so compelling to watch. Obviously he struck a chord with a wide audience when you hear that one of those moron ISIS terrorists were lamenting his death.

I remember reading some blind items hinting that he was having a rough go on his TV show and then a few months ago I read about him having to sell his ranch and made the comment that times must be getting tough for him, poor guy. (Obv said somewhat sarcastically when I heard his ranch was worth $35 million. But then I heard his divorces were worth about that much so I get it.) And then this happened and it was just so incredibly sad.

He seems to have a bit of the John Belushi thing, where people just adored him, despite his demons or maybe sometimes because of them, because they could relate. I read this interview with Dan Akyroyd where he recalled how John Belushi could wander into a stranger's living room, heroin'ed out of his tree, but people just found him so hilarious and delightful - and I think this is what Robin had in spades too. There's all these cliches about the weeping clown and I'm not belittling them, just that someone like Russell Brand could say it better than I could. Russell obviously does his bullshit stuff in his personal life but I think he got it here with his musings. That stream of consciousness made it a bit more thoughtful.

I am happy that Robin's work was documented and we have it now. Yeah there's going to be a lot of sickening sensationalism with how he had addictions, and Parkinson's, and financial woes and then the crude speculation on what his final hours were like, but I think eventually he will just be looked back as this little dynamo of genius who was sad, but he was ingrained in more people's lives than he probably ever realized.
    Kathie_Moffett and Annika like this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
    Wow. That explains a lot.... Robin's comedy was life itself and if he could no longer perform you might as well kill him right then and there. Whatever else caused his suicide, I really believe that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Can you just imagine it? Robin Williams unable to move or speak, trapped in an unusable body while his mind still intact? To watch yourself fade away bit by bit till there's nothing left except an empty shell? Can you imagine the torture he'd go thru? No way in Hell brother....he chose his own way to go rather than the countless years of suffering a living death and he did it before the disease prevented him from carrying it out Poor guy....I'm really gonna miss him.
    Too bad Robin Williams didn't follow Michael J. Fox's example to face the disease head on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brawney McMuffin View Post
    Too bad Robin Williams didn't follow Michael J. Fox's example to face the disease head on!
    Seriously?
    Icepik, Kathie_Moffett and Brookie like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Seriously?
    I liked Robin, and didn't mean to disreapect his memory, but I just think its a damn shame Robin didn't reach out to MJF about how to deal with Parkinson's. MJF also suffered from depression & alcoholism, and MJF could have helped him out.

I don't think there is one particularly proper way for one to deal with the news that they have a debilitating and fatal disease, first of all. MJF decided to handle it the way he is handling it. That's his choice. In that manner, he is taking control of his own death, which is the most personal thing to ever happen to a person. Robin chose a different way. He knows why. His family likely knows why. It doesn't make it wrong for HIM. Sad, yes.

Wrong just because it doesn't suit you or isn't what you would have done?! I have a hard time with folks who think that's a judgement they are allowed to make about anyone other than themselves.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Posting this because I need to remember his humour, not his end.

I love this SO SO SO much. I want to recommend also an interview he did with Ellen--maybe a couple of years ago? Around when he had heart surgery. He imitated a snotty French Siri iPhone telling him off for asking it to find him a good restaurant in Paris...I laughed so hard I had a coughing fit. I'm always surprised my iPhone doesn't tell me off when I ask it something ignorant or lazy. Oh, he also came up with some stuff about the potential difficulty of 'manscaping' the ever-hobbity Robin Williams that was so hysterical I, uh, had to run for the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    I've had really dark periods that lasted for a few days where I wanted to commit suicide, primarily hormone driven by perimenopause. Thankfully I haven't had an episode recently. But during that time, I felt like I was seeing things for how they really were and not how I wanted them to be or how my defense mechanisms prevented me from seeing the truth. I was certain that I had, for once, complete and total clarity about my life as it really was, and it was the most hopeless feeling in the world. When I'm not depressed, all the facts are still the same, but I'm able to put a more positive spin or make excuses for what I'm lacking.

Ultimately it was not the thought of hurting my family that kept me from doing it, because I was certain that they would get over it, that my husband would soon remarry to someone who fit his ideal better than I did, and that she would be a more nurturing mother than I had been. I could convince myself that I was actually doing them a favor, sure, it would be an initial shock but they would recover and ultimately be better off. What kept me from doing it was stupid things, like wanting to see how a TV show turned out, or realizing that I would never get to see all of the places I had wanted to travel to. Sometimes you're in such a deep hole you can't see how much you really mean to other people, or you are able to discount relationships you've had for years like they've just been a big illusion.
    I love the way you described all this--spot on. I wish more people understood how depression really induces these strange and horrible states of mind where your perceptions of things literally will do a 180 from your normal point of view. This happens to me too--the bolded parts. What is scariest of all about depression like that is that there's a germ of truth in there that's terribly hard to argue with. So dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    boy, robin is really making a difference. police don't want to release 911 tapes, twitter vp is speaking about abusing family members of the deceased. seems like everyone really respects him. and those who don't are gonna be in deeeeep shit.
    I agree, and I hope some of this sticks longterm. Especially the Twatter stuff. Not a fan...

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i just got a CNN alert that said he had the beginning stages of parkinsons.
    Ah....not surprised. I really did think there had to be something more to his death, because there were recent pics of him where he looked emaciated and physically ill. I had guessed cancer while talking with my husband, but given Robin's past issues with cocaine, Parkinson's, sadly, makes more sense. Man, I can't imagine a worse nightmare for someone like him.

Poor, poor man. So much grief and sorrow. I keep tearing up...only, bless his soul, when the thought of his death hits me, I watch a video of him exploding with hilarious, brilliant humor and I laugh as hard as I cried moments earlier. What a genius, what an amazing human. We were lucky to have him.

I thought some of you might like this. My favorite Williams role, hands down, is from "The Fisher King" (which is also one of my top ten favorite all-time movies, a masterpiece which is also prescient in its treatment of a mass public shooting and the torment of those who survive it.) This is a haunting remembrance from Terry Gilliam--a genius in his own right whose sensibilities meshed perfectly with Robin's. (The article and video are a bit spoilery, so if you haven't seen this movie, please just go watch it. I put one more video in a doublepost after this one...)

Read about Robin Williams’ extreme commitment to ‘The Fisher King’ | Entertain This!

Robin Williams remembrances, stories and moments of kindness continue to pour in as the days pass since his death. The latest comes from Terry Gilliam, who directed Williams in The Fisher King, a film that showcased the comic’s dramatic abilities playing a man so traumatized by his wife’s brutal murder, he lost everything and began to live in the streets.

Terry Gilliam Breaks Down a Particularly Hard Night With Robin Williams on The Fisher King

Terry Gilliam, whose new film The Zero Theorem arrives on VOD next Tuesday and opens in theaters on September 19, spoke with Vulture yesterday about the most difficult scenes and shots of his career, for a feature we’ll run soon. One of the movies he discussed with us is The Fisher King, in which Robin Williams played a homeless man whose life as an academic had been destroyed by the trauma of witnessing his wife’s brutal murder. The role may have been Williams’s greatest and most-challenging performance, and Gilliam singled out a scene from late in the 1991 drama as being particularly painful to remember in the wake of the actor’s passing.

In this excerpt from our long conversation about his work, the director talks about the challenges of filming that critical scene, which finds Williams’s character, seized by memories of that tragic final night with his wife, tormented by the Red Knight, a demonic (and very Gilliam-esque) vision that appears to him in moments of extreme anguish, a symbol of his madness and despair.

“This scene wasn’t a challenge to shoot as far as effects are concerned, but it was very hard from an acting point of view, because Robin was tearing his guts out emotionally. The interesting thing about Robin in all of those scenes was that he always wanted to do another take. He felt he had even more anguish and pain to spill out of the character. And I had to really stop him. I had to say, ‘Robin, you’ve reached a point here, way beyond what we expected. We’ve got what we needed. Now you’re just hurting yourself.’

“That happened a couple of times while we were shooting this scene. The most worrisome moment for me was after he’s been chased by the Red Knight, when he’s running through the streets, and then he comes to the river, where the teenage punks arrive and knife him. We had to do other things on that night shoot, too, and things were going very slowly. Suddenly, we realized that we had like an hour until the dawn [would arrive].

“The last shot we had to do was Robin running at the end of this scene, in this hysterical state. You can even see the light ever so slightly beginning to come on the river in the background. But Robin was so angry because it was such a crucial moment, and he felt he’d been cheated of his ability to really give this moment his all. And Robin was an incredibly strong guy: When he’d worked himself into this state of madness for the part, nobody could approach him. The first assistant, the stunt guy … nobody wanted to get near him. They were terrified.

“So, I had to go up there and tell him, ‘Robin, what we have here is very good. And if we look at the rushes and it isn’t, I promise you I will reshoot it.’ And I had to hug him basically, and hold him. I could feel these muscles that were so tense and so strong, they felt like they could easily rip my head off.

“But that’s what was so extraordinary about him — how he would commit everything and more to what he had to do. That’s also why I think his character in The Fisher King is in many ways the closest one to Robin, just that range — the madness, the damage, the pain, the sweetness, the outrageousness. That was the role I think that stretched him to the limits.”

The scene he's talking about:

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

The legend of the Fisher King, told by Robin's character to the shock jock played by Jeff Bridges (it's also one of the best Bridges films ever).

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

That's the thing.....even though both of them were excellent at physical comedy, the type of frantic, no holds barred all or nothing comedy that were Robin's trademark demands a whole different way of being and for this man to lose the one thing that makes him unique above all others is a tragedy of the highest order. Even though it's hampered him a great deal Fox could come to terms with the limitations of his illness and work around them when required, but for a man who's very essence was his ability to make us laugh with his kamikaze assaults of funny... as said earlier, it would be no less than the cruelest torture imaginable to live like that so....'nuff said.
    spiderpig and Tati like this.

i think finding out he had parkinson's was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' so to say. mjf was young when he was dx. he was probably in a good place to fight his disease. it's just a different situation when you are already depressed and feel life sucks so bad then they tell you in a few years you are gonna be shaking and dribbling your soup as you are being fed. back in late '12 i was suffering severe anxiety and hypochondria. i had groin pain and went for an ultrasound and the radiologist told me he thought it was a cancerous tumor on my ovary. i actually flipped out. big time. i told him, 'i'm going home to kill myself', he just looked at me in horror and i walked out calmly. i drove myself to the hospital ER and broke down. luckily it wasn't cancer but holy shit i really would have jumped off the bridge if it was. you just get to that point... you can't handle it anymore. while i waited for the results i had to be HEAVILY medicated.
    Kittylady, Bombshell and nana51 like this.

I liked Robin, and didn't mean to disreapect his memory, but I just think its a damn shame Robin didn't reach out to MJF about how to deal with Parkinson's. MJF also suffered from depression & alcoholism, and MJF could have helped him out.
    I get that you're not trying to come across as judgmental, and that you're just saying it's a shame that it appears Robin didn't reach out to somebody with similar circumstances. At least I hope that's what you're doing. However, people only benefit from help they're ready to receive. There are an infinite number of factors contributing to these scenarios. There is no way to accurately declare that anybody could have helped the man at any point in time or that MJF was even in a place himself to do it at any given time. Hell, maybe he DID reach out to MJF. Maybe I just have an itchy trigger finger here. As soon as I saw the news about the Parkinson's I've been braced for someone to compare Robin with MJF.
    Annika and Sylkyn like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Thread Information