Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, “Treatment is simple. Great clown, Pagliacci, is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.” Man bursts into tears. Says, “But doctor, I am Pagliacci.”
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    My dad once told me that comedians were some of the saddest people in the world.
    snoopqueen, BITTER and Bombshell like this.
    Jack I swear.

Oh, god, that made me cry again. It also reminded me what Christopher Reeve wrote about his friend, how Robin picked him up after his horrific accident:

In his 1996 autobiography Still Me, Reeve recalls how Williams showed up at the hospital pretending to be an eccentric Russian proctologist who was going to perform a rectal exam on him.

‘I lay on my back, frozen, unable to avoid thinking the darkest thoughts,’ wrote Reeve.

‘Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent. He announced that he was my proctologist and that he had to examine me immediately.

‘My first reaction was that either I was on way too many drugs or I was in fact brain damaged,’ wrote Reeve.

‘For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.’

By then the pair were indeed old friends, having first met more than 20 years before as roommates at the prestigious Julliard School in New York City.

In 1973 the budding actors were the only two students accepted to the advanced program at the school. In several classes they were the only students.

Williams was also the first student that Reeve met at university and he recalls watching Williams 'in awe as he virtually caromed off the walls of the classrooms and hallways.'

Williams and Reeve met back in 1973, as two of just 20 students accepted into Juilliard that year, and the only two to be accepted into the Advanced Program, taught by John Houseman. Reeve recalled first meeting Williams in his 1998 autobiography, Still Me.

“The first person I met at Juilliard was the other advanced student, a short, stocky, long-haired fellow from Marin County, California, who wore tie-dyed shirts with track suit bottoms and talked a mile a minute,” wrote Reeve. “I’d never seen so much energy contained in one person. He was like an un-tied balloon that had been inflated and immediately released. I watched in awe as he virtually caromed off the walls of the classrooms and hallways. To say that he was ‘on’ would be a major understatement. There was never a moment when he wasn’t doing voices, imitating teachers, and making our faces ache from laughing at his antics. His name, of course, was Robin Williams.”

According to Reeve, Williams blew away his fellow students, mastering virtually every accent in their dialects class and delivering comedic monologues that brought classrooms to their feet. But their primary acting teacher, Michael Kahn, had a hard time initially wrapping his head around Williams’s enormous talent. That is, until Williams’s turn in a production of Tennessee Williams’s The Night of the Iguana during their third-year acting class.

“Robin’s performance immediately silenced his critics,” wrote Reeve. “His portrayal of an old man confined to a wheelchair was thoroughly convincing. He simply was the old man. I was astonished by his work and very grateful that fate had thrown us together. We were becoming good friends. Many of our classmates related to Robin by doing bits with him, attempting to keep pace with his antics. I didn’t even try. Occasionally Robin would need to switch off and have a serious conversation with someone, and I was always ready to listen. For a time he had a crush on a girl in our class who thought he was an immature goofball. Robin was able to share his real feelings with me, and I always did the same with him. This has remained true for twenty-five years.”

Following the release of Superman II, Reeve became a bit disillusioned with Hollywood and moved his family to Williamstown, Massachusetts, where he played the lead in a theatrical production of The Front Page. One night, Williams paid his good ol’ pal a visit, taking in a performance and then taking him out to dinner after.

“Robin Williams came up to visit during the run and seemed to enjoy it tremendously,” wrote Reeve. “One evening we went out to a local seafood restaurant, and as we passed by the lobster tank I casually wondered what they were all thinking in there. Whereupon Robin launched into a fifteen-minute routine: one lobster had escaped and was seen on the highway with his claw out holding a sign that said, ‘Maine.’ Another lobster from Brooklyn was saying, ‘C’mon, just take da rubber bands off,’ gearing up for a fight. A gay lobster wanted to redecorate the tank. People at nearby tables soon gave up any pretense of trying not to listen, and I had to massage my cheeks because my face hurt so much from laughing.”

The most touching anecdote in Reeve’s autobiography, however, concerns the actor’s recovery in ICU. After being thrown from a horse, suffering a cervical spinal injury that left him paralyzed from the neck down, Reeve was in a great deal of pain at the hospital. He even contemplated suicide. Since the accident had damaged his first and second cervical vertebrae, Reeve was forced to undergo a life-threatening surgery to reconnect his skull and his spine.

“As the day of the operation drew closer, it became more and more painful and frightening to contemplate,” wrote Reeve. “In spite of efforts to protect me from the truth, I already knew that I had only a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the surgery. I lay on my back, frozen, unable to avoid thinking the darkest thoughts. Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent. He announced that he was my proctologist, and that he had to examine me immediately. My first reaction was that either I was on way too many drugs or I was in fact brain damaged. But it was Robin Williams. He and his wife, Marsha, had materialized from who knows where. And for the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.”

Williams was, of course, playing his kooky Doctor Kosevich from the film Nine Months, which had just hit theaters.

“And then we spent time together,” added Reeve. “He said he would do anything for me. I thought: My God, not only do I have Dana and my kids but I have friends like Robin and Gregory [Mosher] who truly care. Maybe it can be okay. I mean, life is going to be very different, and it’s going to be an enormous challenge, but I can still laugh, and there’s still some joy.”

The two remained the closest of friends throughout Reeve’s final years, with Williams joining his pal at several events in honor of The Christopher Reeve Foundation, which he wholly supported. Williams was recently asked what his favorite memory was of Reeve during a very revealing Reddit AMA.

“Him being such a great friend to me at Juillard, literally feeding me because I don't think I literally had money for food or my student loan hadn't come in yet, and he would share his food with me," Williams said. "And then later after the accident, just seeing him beaming and just, seeing what he meant to so many people.”

Reeve passed away after experiencing an adverse reaction to an antibiotic on Oct. 10, 2004. Williams, meanwhile, was found dead on the morning of Aug. 11, 2014, of an apparent suicide.

“My friendship with Robin Williams is one of the real joys of my life,” said Reeve. “Robin is a person who gives to people 24 hours a day. The gift of joy, the gift of laughter. Just to be in a room with Robin Williams is a privilege. He’s a gift to the world.”

You HAVE to watch his thank you speech at the Golden Globes 2005, at the end of which he remembers Chris Reeve.
    Last edited by HWBL; August 14th, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added photos and clip
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Silver Member

This just made me so sad ... the number of wondeful comments and tributes are due this brilliant talent. The deamons of depression are fierce, RIP Mr. Williams & thank you.

I can't even imagine how horrific it is for his loved ones :-/

I loved this too, a newscaster managed to slip in 22 Robin Williams references.

Sportscaster slips 22 Robin Williams references into news segment | For The Win
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I can't seem to bring myself to watch anything with Robin in it. Jumanji was on TV yesterday but I skipped past it. I knew I would be an emotional wreck. I'm saving all the youtube videos to watch later when I won't be so emotional. It doesn't help that my dad is in hospital again. Maybe when he gets out.

This post has not been proofread

The Emmy's announced they are planning a "meaningful tribute." I will have tissues ready.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by blah_blah_blah View Post
    I can't seem to bring myself to watch anything with Robin in it. Jumanji was on TV yesterday but I skipped past it. I knew I would be an emotional wreck. I'm saving all the youtube videos to watch later when I won't be so emotional. It doesn't help that my dad is in hospital again. Maybe when he gets out.
    Jumanji has basically turned into my favorite Robin Williams films since I had kids. Not just because of the great special effects but because of the themes about second chances and redemption. Love it.
    ikmccall likes this.

Russell Brand:

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

That pic of Robin with Christopher Reeve and his wife is just so damn sad. They are all gone.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This comic/blogger has a very enlightening take on severe depression, I think. Entertaining, as well ---

Hyperbole and a Half: Depression Part Two
    sputnik and Lobelia like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Robin Williams's assistant's husband pays touching Facebook tribute to star | Mail Online

'That lonely little boy is at peace': The touching Facebook tribute to Robin Williams by husband of assistant who found his body

• Dan Spencer, husband of Rebecca Erwin Spencer, wrote movingly of star
    • He spoke of his love of the military and performances at USO shows
    • 'Now our hero has laid down his arms. He has bid his soldiers farewell'
    • USO also pays tribute, saying 'he will always be part of the USO family'

By Damien Gayle For Mailonline
    Published: 06:39 EST, 14 August 2014 | Updated: 09:15 EST, 14 August 2014

The husband of the woman who found Robin Williams dead has posted a touching tribute to the late comedian on Facebook.

Dan Spencer, the novelist husband of Rebecca Erwin Spencer, Williams' assistant, wrote movingly about his and his wife's relationship with the star.

'Those of us lucky enough to be in his sphere saw our hero conquer the world. We joined him on journeys across the globe,' wrote Mr Spencer. 'He killed ‘em! He slayed ‘em! What great victories! What wondrous experiences!

'We were incredibly fortunate to follow him into the breach.'
    But the author, who has 12 novels currently in print, also shed light on the personal 'war' that drove Williams to apparently commit suicide on Monday.

He wrote on his own Facebook fan page: 'As a little boy, he was alone in his room with his toy soldiers while his parents went off on business trips. You can imagine his mother and father telling him to be a good little soldier while they were away. Then he would be left alone to play with his friends, which were little Army men. When his parents returned, he received a gift, a token for his good behavior, maybe more little soldiers to add to his collection.

'Those toys remained with him throughout his life and were often given prominent space in his home on specially crafted display cases.'

Mr Spencer described how Williams' childhood love of military themed toys developed into a love of first-person shooter video games. He and his wife, he said, referred to Williams' avid gaming as him 'saving the world'.

Dan Spencer's moving tribute to Williams: The novellist husband of the star's assistant spoke of the 'battles'

Referring to Williams' many appearances entertaining U.S. troops on USO tours, Mr Spencer went on: 'Then he went off to dangerous places like Afghanistan and Iraq at the height of war to entertain the troops, the soldiers. Maybe it was a way to pay back his boyhood friends.'

'But his final conflict was heartbreaking to witness,' wrote Mr Spencer. 'Oh, if you could only have seen the war raging inside him. It would have stopped your heart. We fought the fight with him, but it left him defeated.

'Now our hero has laid down his arms. He has bid his soldiers farewell. The final fight is over.

'At last, that lonely little boy is at peace.'

Williams entertains the troops at a USO Show: The United Service Organization also paid tribute

Patriotic: Williams famously performed for the USO in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait over the years

The United Service Organization, a non-profit works to lift the spirits of US troops stationed around the world, also paid tribute its own tribute to Williams.

The star famously performed for them in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait over the years. 'The entire USO family is saddened by the news of Robin Williams' passing,' the USO said in a statement.

'One of the great comedic actors of his generation, Williams traveled around the world to lift the spirits of our troops and their families. He will always be a part of our USO family and will be sorely missed.'

USO photographer Dave Gatley, who took these pictures published in MailOnline today, said Williams approached the task of keeping soldiers' spirits up 'tirelessly'.

'He would make sure he reached everyone he could, staying at each site to make sure he shook each hand to the end,' Mr Gatley said.

'He will always be a part of our USO family': The non-profit said it was 'saddened' by the news

'He would make sure he reached everyone he could': Williams poses with troops deployed in a war zone

'Staying at each site to make sure he shook each hand to the end': USO snapper Dave Gatley paid respects

The tributes to came after theatres on Broadway, New York City, dimmed their lights last night to mark Williams' passing.

Theatregoers, staff and actors across Broadway remembered the star in solemn tribute by dimming their marquees for one minute.

A photo of the actor was also projected on a large screen above the Imperial and Music Box theatres.

The actor was best known for his screen work but had several hit performances on the stage.

In Memoriam: The lights of Broadway's marquees were dimmed Wednesday night for one minute in honor of comedy legend Robin Williams

Theatergoers reveled in his performance alongside Steve Martin in Waiting for Godot in 1988 and more recently in Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo in 2011.

Williams appeared in a one man show, Robin Williams: Live on Broadway, in 2002.

Those in stage and screen were equally shocked by his suicide on Monday.

The exact nature of his death has become a controversial point in the tragedy as San Francisco Bay area sheriffs spoke out yesterday to defend of their decision to reveal how the actor killed himself.

Marin County Sheriff's Lieutenant Keith Boyd said in an email that the agency would have liked to withhold some of the information, but could not under the California Public Records Act.

'These kinds of cases, whether they garner national attention or not, are very difficult for everyone involved,' Lt. Boyd said.

'Frankly, it would have been our personal preference to withhold a lot of what we disclosed to the press yesterday, but the California Public Records Act does not give us that kind of latitude.'

Memorial in Colorado: Tributes have piled up outside the Boulder property made famous in the 'Mork and Mindy' television show that rocketed Robin Williams to stardom

Boyd announced during a live, televised news conference Tuesday that Williams committed suicide by hanging himself. He described in detail how Williams carried out the suicide and the condition of the body.

Some people criticised the level of detail, and experts in suicide prevention said the information could influence those considering suicide to try the same thing.

'Having that amount of detail is not helpful' said Lyn Morris, vice president of clinical operations at Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services, which runs the main suicide prevention hotline in Southern California. 'The contagion effect is real, and it's worrisome.'

Lt. Boyd said the sheriff's office is discussing with the county's attorney possible exemptions to the public record's act that would allow it to withhold the 911 call it received from Williams' home and fire dispatch tapes.

But he said the agency would likely have to release them within ten days, as required by law.

Free speech groups defended the disclosures as appropriate and said the law enforcement agency was responding to a crush of a requests for information required to be disclosed.

'Coroners are not required to provide details by press conference,' said Terry Francke, head of open government group Californians Aware. But he said the Marin County Sheriff's Department chose to disseminate as much information as quickly possible at one time rather than leak details piecemeal.

Some three dozen television cameras and twice as many reporters from around the globe crowded the news conference outside the sheriff's offices on Tuesday morning.

'While the impact of the details on some people's mourning of Mr. Williams' passing may have been jarring, keeping what was known under wraps would have added needless speculation if not suspicion to the general shock,' Mr Francke said.

Read more:

Robin Williams's assistant's husband pays touching Facebook tribute to star | Mail Online
    Last edited by dougie; August 14th, 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    This was clearly directed at me so I will respond. First the article with the statement from the Sheriff states he was partially clothed so I am not sure why you feel he did not say that. Second - I have treated families of suicide victims and they often try to find a way to believe the suicide was an accident, that their loved one never intended to leave them on purpose. If he had died of erotic asphyxiation his family would know he didn't plan to leave. But, I am well aware of the cuts at his wrist since I posted that article too. It is terribly clear that he was troubled and this outcome was a possibility for him.

I do agree that the press is intrusive and don't like that 911 calls are made public. However, that is a trade-off for some of the freedoms in this country. In an effort to keep transparency in our government we have "right to know laws" and they sometimes cross the line.
    I'm sorry if you feel my comment was directed at you, Sluce. It really wasn't. As I was skimming through the comments, there seemed to be a few postings that expressed that thought, so I just wrote what went through my head when I got to the end of the posts. I promise it wasn't personal.

As for the partially clothed comment, the press conference was live on the news channel I happened to be watching at the time and I noticed that the coroner was deliberately vague on that point (as he also was about the possibility of a note). However, you did make me doublecheck the full transcript of the conference and his exact comment was: "What I said was. he was clothed. I didn't say fully clothed. I said he was clothed and that's what we're going to say. He had clothes on and that's how we're going to address that at this point until the investigation is concluded."

Having complained about the excessive details of the conference, I feel distinctly icky having dipped into it again. I'm therefore going outside to wash my car, because Mr Williams' pooping pigeons are surely due any minute now.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Yeah, suicide is a bitch. I just found out that my 26 yr old cousin swallowed a bottle of pills last night and went to sleep with her 4 yr old right beside her. Her grandmother found her this morning. She had battled depression for years and had tried to commit suicide several times. I guess her determination to end her life was greater than her will to live.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Yeah, suicide is a bitch. I just found out that my 26 yr old cousin swallowed a bottle of pills last night and went to sleep with her 4 yr old right beside her. Her grandmother found her this morning. She had battled depression for years and had tried to commit suicide several times. I guess her determination to end her life was greater than her will to live.
    Oh my God, ShimmeringGlow. I'm so sorry to hear that. Horrible news. I don't even know what to say. Hugs to you and your family.

So sorry to hear that, ShimmeringGlow!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information