Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    *shrugs*

personally, i can't imagine going on twitter or FB with this kind of thing, but his kids are young. it is 'normal' for people that age to express lots of personal things on social media.
    exactly. and it's no excuse for the assholes harassing her.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think the prohibition on suicide in religious texts and dogma is probably similar, in origins to the prohibition on self gratification. Everything was about the family - stabilizing it and making it grow so that the religious group would get larger. Making suicide a verboten, going-to-hell, kind of offense would probably make a depressed person long ago think long and hard before committing it.
    that. and also, making sure people stayed in line and worked for their king until the very end, no matter how miserable. all for the promise of a divine afterlife. we don't want these suicidal debbie-downers thinking they can jump the queue and get their before they've put in enough work, now do we?
    they don't call it the opium of the people for nothing.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Reality television is the opiate of the masses.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

NOW it is. back then, before the kardashians, they had to make do with the bible.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The New, New Testament is being edited by Kris right now.
    ChloroformCasey likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Nude Testament. With selfies.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I believe you just made Robin smile.
    sputnik, JazzyGirl, nana51 and 7 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

And me, too.

If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    I don't know why an auto-erotic asphyxiation angle makes anyone feel any better. I doubt that it would make his family feel better. Besides, the sheriff didn't actually say he was partially clothed - although it was implied. However, if, as was also implied, he tried to cut his wrists first, that has nothing to do with auto-erotic asphyxiation. So perhaps, IF he was only partially-clothed, he simply took his pants off because he needed the belt to hang himself with. Simple as that.

To be honest, I wish I didn't know all this. I didn't expect the press conference to cover so much. There's no dignity in having these tragic details made so public. Although I admit that I can't help my interest, there's something deeply disturbing about having so little privacy for our most personal, private, intimate, final moments. Would any of us want this for ourselves, let alone our parents, children and loved ones? And the thought that the 911 call will also become a matter of public record, with every word and hesitation and tone to be pored over in the press (which it will be) - who thinks of such exposure when you call an emergency number?

Robin can send a flock of pigeons to poop on my car as often as he likes, but I feel uncomfortable and a little ashamed of my prurience. He evoked real affection in so many of us and I wish only to show respect and sympathy. But I worry that some of this extreme openness simply isn't right.
    I'm playing catch-up with this thread because I CAN'T log in at work (which suuuuccckkks) but ^ ^ ^ THIS. All of it. I don't recall ever getting such a vivid description of a person's death before. "Died by hanging", "Died by overdose" or whatever is about all we ever get, and thankfully so. Why the fuck is it necessary to paint a picture of how Robin Williams committed suicide? I knew it was by hanging (NOT being "hung", illiterate motherfuckers) when read the word "asphyxiation". WE GET IT. We don't need a fucking illustration or graph. I didn't need to know about the wrist cutting, either!

I can't imagine being his child, or wife, or another loved one, and having to read all that shit. It was so unnecessary. ALL of it.
    Last edited by Sylkyn; August 13th, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I really do know how to spell "died".
    snoopqueen likes this.

Hilarious and heartbreaking.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    I'm playing catch-up with this thread because I CAN'T log in at work (which suuuuccckkks) but ^ ^ ^ THIS. All of it. I don't recall ever getting such a vivid description of a person's death before. "Died by hanging", "Died by overdose" or whatever is about all we ever get, and thankfully so. Why the fuck is it necessary to paint a picture of how Robin Williams committed suicide? I knew it was by hanging (NOT being "hung", illiterate motherfuckers) when read the word "asphyxiation". WE GET IT. We don't need a fucking illustration or graph. I didn't need to know about the wrist cutting, either!

I can't imagine being his child, or wife, or another loved one, and having to read all that shit. It was so unnecessary. ALL of it.

A friend had posted details on his facebook and I gave him shyt for it. I thought it was so bloody crass and void of all decency.
    I couldn't understand how a businessman who once ran for city councilman would do this. I gave him complete and utter SHYT!

He apologized.

Robin suffered, he died suffering. End of story. Let's now only focus on his greatness and not let his passing be in vain by helping as many others as possible.
    Sylkyn likes this.

All this talk about comedians and suicide made me think today of Owen Wilson. He wrote the incredibly haunting scene in The Royal Tenenbaums where the character Richie (played by his own brother Luke) attempts suicide by slitting his wrists.

Six years after that movie was made, Owen tried to kill himself by downing a bunch of pills and slitting his wrists in his L.A. home. He reportedly almost bled out, and the only reason he didn't die was because Luke found him and called 911.

There were articles at the time like this one about how shocking it was, because Owen's image was such that of a happy-go-lucky goofball.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Whenever Richard Cory went downtown
    We people on the pavement looked at him
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean-favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich yes, richer than a king
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine, we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.

Watchmen
    Belt Up, sprynkles and Sylkyn like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Speaking of the Kardashians, they asked Robin a random question (on Extra or Access Hollywood) about Kim K. They asked him what he would do if she came to him for marriage advice. His answer: RUN!! He then added "does she have an expiration date?".

Thread Information