Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

Im so sorry you both had to go through such horrible struggles. ^^^^^

Monologue from his movie JACK:

"I don't have very much time these days so I'll make it quick. Like my life. You know, as we come to the end of this phase of our life, we find ourselves trying to remember the good times and trying to forget the bad times, and we find ourselves thinking about the future. We start to worry , thinking, "What am I gonna do? Where am I gonna be in ten years?" But I say to you, "Hey, look at me!" Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did." Robin Williams as Jack

I find it interesting that in 2006 he stated he was never diagnosed as manic-depressive.

When asked specifically if he had a diagnosis of clinical depression, Williams said he did not. "No clinical depression, no. No. I get bummed, like I think a lot of us do at certain times," he explained. "You look at the world and go, 'Whoa.' Other moments you look and go, 'Oh, things are okay.'"

Dealing with non-clinical depression can be even more difficult to control. It is also possible he was not being treated at all for the depression or manic phases and was self medicating and trying to control that.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Lawd that movie Jack I sobbed every time I watched it.

I had a guy who was like a brother to me commit suicide with his wife and two kids in the house with him. I was so mad at him as was his sister. How could he do that to them, to his mother, to us? It took a while but we know he was sick and alcohol didn't help matters. Now it is just sadness and understanding.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

“When cancer takes a life, we blame cancer. Depression is a disease. Don’t blame the victim for losing the fight.”

Luke Adams (via thatlitsite)
    Bluebonnet, penname, HWBL and 5 others like this.

Robin Williams leaves behind four upcoming films | Inside Movies | EW.com
    Robin Williams died suddenly Monday, leaving behind a still-active film career. This holiday season, moviegoers will be able to see him reprise his role as Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. The sequel wrapped production in May, according to Twentieth Century Fox, and will bow on Dec. 19th.

Williams’ other holiday flick is the indie family comedy Merry Friggin’ Christmas, co-starring Wendi McLendon-Covey, Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt. Phase 4 will release the movie, produced by Captain America directors Joe and Anthony Russo on November 7.

He also recently starred opposite Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad) in the Dito Montiel drama Boulevard, which debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year. The movie has yet to land theatrical distribution.

Williams, who was one of the first big stars to lend his voice to an animated movie with his work in 1992’s Aladdin, has also voiced the animated character of Dennis the Dog in Absolutely Anything, an upcoming live-action British comedy starring Simon Pegg and Kate Beckinsale that is due out next year.

Along with Williams and director Christopher Columbus, Fox was currently developing a sequel to 1993’s Mrs. Doubtfire. Though the project was still in the early stages, Williams had met with screenwriter David Berenbaum (Elf) and the scribe was working on a second draft. Had the rewrite come together as all parties had hoped, Williams and Columbus, who had been friends for the past two decades, were likely to come aboard.

Said Columbus in a statement, “We have lost one of our most inspired and gifted comic minds, as well as one of this generation’s greatest actors. To watch Robin work, was a magical and special privilege. His performances were unlike anything any of us had ever seen, they came from some spiritual and otherworldly place. He truly was one of the few people who deserved the title of ‘genius.’ We were friends for 21 years. Our children grew up together, he inspired us to spend our lives in San Francisco and I loved him like a brother. The world was a better place with Robin in it. And his beautiful legacy will live on forever.”
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

This is so sad. People often commit suicide when people they know are around them because they want to be found. Or it may be that they just find a few moments to do it because they can't pretend any longer.

I just read a BuzzFeed article about a very ironic and interesting film that Williams did that is now on NetFlix. It's called "World's Greatest Dad". It was written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait in 2009. I'm not sure how much of the plotline to describe without creating spoilers. But basically Williams is a divorced schoolteacher who apparently has a real a-hole teenager son. The son accidentally commits suicide through autoerotic asphyxiation, and then Williams (out of pity) cleans up the scene of the crime and makes it looks like a suicide (hanging). And then writes an incredibly moving fake journal under his son's name to buttress the idea that this was intentional. After the journal gets discovered and published online by a fellow student, things spin wildly out of control.

I'm going to check it out tonight.

fgg

my first thought when i heard he died was autoerotic asphyxiation.

depression, especially to such a magnitude, is something that i have never experienced and don't understand. however, i'm aware that i don't understand it and won't judge someone for doing what they think they need to do.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    my first thought when i heard he died was autoerotic asphyxiation.

depression, especially to such a magnitude, is something that i have never experienced and don't understand. however, i'm aware that i don't understand it and won't judge someone for doing what they think they need to do.
    That also crossed my mind, and that the real story was being whitewashed for the press. But I never really liked Robin Williams manic brand of comedy because, like many comics, it always had a bit of a sad edge to it. Not a really angry edge like a lot of comics, but it was too frantic, too eager to please. So I could see the sadness lurking beneath. We'll know for sure when the autopsy report comes out, unless the family dressed him.

I enjoyed RW's dramatic work a whole lot more, really admired him in those roles.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    From what I was told by someone afflicted, depression fools you into thinking there's nothing to live for, that everything is bleak and hopeless. But once all the chemicals were re-balanced via therapy, it was scary to the person themselves how close they were to ending it all. But in Robin William's case, it sounds like he underwent treatment over and over again and it didn't help. I wonder if there is a medical solution for people like him.
    Depression is seductive and difficult to resist. It's an abusive relationship you keep going back to. After a while, it becomes comfortable even when it's trying to kill you.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

This was a tweet last night from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences:

"Genie, you're free."
    levitt, angelais and firebrat1229 like this.

czb

i believe he recently came out of rehab. who knows what happened there?

i used to see him all the time around here. at the sushi bar around the corner, on the street. so sad.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...181808746.html

Sheriff Reveals New Details of Robin Williams Suicide
    By Suzy Byrne2 hours agoYahoo Celebrity

Robin Williams hanged himself with a belt after his wife had gone to sleep Sunday night.

Those are among the graphic new details to emerge about the death of the 63-year-old entertainer at a press conference Tuesday.

Speaking from prepared notes, Marin Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said that Williams's wife, Susan Schneider, went to bed at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday. Williams later retired in a different bedroom of their home in Tiburon, California, a small town in the San Francisco Bay area.

In the morning, Schneider left the home, thinking Williams was still sleeping. His assistant later came to the house and, concerned about the actor, went into the bedroom and discovered his lifeless body at about 11:45 a.m.

Williams died as a result of death by asphyxia, said Boyd. The actor was partially clothed and suspended from a belt that was wedged between a closet door and the door frame. The assistant told officials he was cold to the touch and rigor mortis had begun to set in. The iconic comedian was pronounced dead at 12:02 p.m. Monday.

Williams's wrist also had several acute superficials wounds thought to be from a pocket knife that was found nearby. His body was transported to Napa County Sheriff's Morgue for the autopsy, which took place Tuesday morning.

Boyd would not confirm whether a note was left behind nor would he reveal whether it was Williams's first suicide attempt. He did state that Williams was being treated for depression. And authorities had not been called to the home for previous incidents.

News of the beloved actor's suicide spread quickly Monday afternoon, but the details were sketchy. Officials said the actor was last seen alive at about 10 p.m. on Sunday. An emergency call from his home was placed just before noon on Monday. He was discovered unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene from what the sheriff's department described as apparent suicide due to asphyxia. The Napa County Coroner's Office conducted an autopsy Tuesday morning but an official cause of death isn't expected for several weeks pending the results of toxicology tests.

His third wife, Schneider, whom he married in 2011, issued the following statement Monday: "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

His daughter Zelda, 25, posted an emotional tribute on Twitter, declaring, "I love you. I miss you."

Williams, who has been candid about his struggles with alcohol and cocaine, went to rehab in June just after his TV series The Crazy Ones was canceled. At the time his rep said, "He has been working hard and now has a break in his schedule, so wants to come back and be the best that he can be. This is his version of a retreat." His addictions were linked to the depression he suffered for much of his life. In an 2010 interview with the U.K.'s Guardian, he said that while working on the film Insomnia in Alaska in 2003, he felt "alone and afraid" and that led to him drinking as a way to cope and hurting his relationship with his family. "I was shameful, did stuff that caused disgust that's hard to recover from," he said.

He spoke more in depth about his depression during a 2006 interview with NPR, saying that while he hadn't been diagnosed with clinical depression or bipolar disorder, "I get bummed, like I think a lot of us do at certain times. You look at the world and go, 'Whoa.' Other moments you look and go, 'Oh, things are OK.'"

Tributes have been popping up for the actor, from his contemporaries offering their condolences to fans flocking to places he was associated with to remember him. Makeshift memorials were set up outside the Mork & Mindy house in Boulder, Colorado, on the stairs of the Mrs. Doubtfire house in San Francisco, and on a bench in Boston Public Garden where he filmed a pivotal scene from Good Will Hunting.

Not all the attention has been positive. Fox News's Shepard Smith was in backtrack mode Tuesday, hours after referring to Williams as "a coward" for taking his life. Speaking to Mediate, Smith said, "To the core of my being, I regret it. It just came out of my mouth. And I'm so sorry. And to anyone and their families who see that, I am sorry."

Smith was not alone in facing outrage from fans. Former Diff'rent Strokes star Todd Bridges removed a Twitter post that called Williams's suicide "a very selfish act" and replaced it with a series of mea culpas. "I apologize for my negative comment, and I ask forgiveness for any pain that I have caused anyone," tweeted Bridges, explaining he was still reeling from a friend's suicide.

Earlier Tuesday ABC News issued for coverage many deemed intrusive. The network showed aerial views of William's gated home, where he killed himself, and touted the footage with a special red banner at the top of its homepage: "Watch Live: Aerial Views of Robin Williams' Home." The social media backlash was instantaneous from fans who deemed it an invasion of his family's privacy in light of his wife's public plea.

"When we realized there was no news value to the live stream, we took it down immediately," ABC News said in a statement. "Our intention was not to be insensitive to his family, friends and fans, and for that we apologize."

There are no words. It just breaks my heart.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

A couple of people mentioned Jonathan Winters, who Williams cited as his idol and good friend. Ironically, Winters was bipolar and briefly institutionalized twice - once for 8 months. Somehow, Winters managed to rein in his demons and live to 87.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information