Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree1046Likes

Thread: Robin Williams dead

Some great Robin quotes:

On Divorce: “Ah yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man’s genitals through his wallet.”

On addiction: “The truth is, if anything, I’m probably addicted to laughter.”

On winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Good Will Hunting in 1998: “This might be the one time I’m speechless.” (But he wasn’t really: “Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, ‘Wonderful. Just have a back-up profession like welding’.”)

On creation: “I feel like Adam when he said to Eve, ‘Back up, I don’t know how big this gets’.”

On politics: “’Poli’ a Latin word meaning ‘many’; and ‘tics’ meaning ‘bloodsucking creatures’.”

On satire: “People say satire is dead. It’s not dead; it’s alive and living in the White House.”

On pets: “I also have a gay rescue pug called Leonard, who I take for walks, because I am very secure in my sexuality. He has a boyfriend and they are planning to adopt a Siamese kitten together. We’re very modern.”

On blacking out: “Blackouts, I joke, are like sleepwalking with activities. But those are really frightening, where you wake up and you have to have people (tell you what you did). And then you go, ‘This is scary’.”

On words: “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”

On Las Vegas: “I only ever play Vegas one night at a time. It’s a hideous, gaudy place; it may not be the end of the world per se, but you can certainly see it from there.”

On privilege: “Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some get it as a graduation gift.”

On creation (again): “Do you think God gets stoned? I think so … look at the platypus.”

On men: “See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.”

On comedy: “Comedy is acting out optimism.”

On forgiveness: “Good people end up in Hell because they can’t forgive themselves.”

On the meaning of life: “You’re only given one little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”
    Kittylady, Rusalka, sluce and 15 others like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I just love when people call suicide cowardly or the coward's way out.

that to me is just completely illogical. Venturing into the unknown of death is potentially the bravest thing you could do.

I also like when they suicide is "selfish". "Didn't He think how that would hurt those around him"

Seriously? Your argument that is selfish is that it hurt your feelings that someone killed himself. That is just mind blowing.

I just really wanna punch idiots like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I think right after someone kills themselves that feeling angry and thinking they are selfish is a perfectly normal reaction of those left behind. They feel guilty being angry but it is a stage.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

goodness, "Go Rest High on That Mountain" by Vince Gill is playing. So sad.

I know your life
    On earth was troubled
    And only you could know the pain
    You weren't afraid to face the devil
    You were no stranger to the rain

Go rest high on that mountain
    ‘Cause, Son, your work on earth is done
    Go to Heaven a shoutin'
    Love for the Father and the Son

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
    And gathered round your grave to grieve
    Wish I could see the angels’ faces
    When they hear your sweet voice sing

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Instrumental

Go to Heaven a shoutin'
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

You know, some celebrity deaths are sad. Some are surprising. This is one of those that is both surprising AND sad. Actually, sad seems underwhelming - this is one of those occasions where use of the word tragic would not be trite. Man, it really gets you in the gut, doesn't it?

From what I was told by someone afflicted, depression fools you into thinking there's nothing to live for, that everything is bleak and hopeless. But once all the chemicals were re-balanced via therapy, it was scary to the person themselves how close they were to ending it all. But in Robin William's case, it sounds like he underwent treatment over and over again and it didn't help. I wonder if there is a medical solution for people like him.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

There are many pharmaceutical therapies but finding the correct balance is not always easy. You have one patient who responds right away to the first drug prescribed. Then you have others who may take months to find the right mix of medication, and the correct dosage, to help them. Then even when you get the right mix it may not work for more than a few years. It is a grueling and tiresome process for patients who are already running low on hope.
    Last edited by sluce; August 12th, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    You know, some celebrity deaths are sad. Some are surprising. This is one of those that is both surprising AND sad. Actually, sad seems underwhelming - this is one of those occasions where use of the word tragic would not be trite. Man, it really gets you in the gut, doesn't it?
    I read "Genie has finally been set free" this morning on my commute and teared up.

His daughter tweeted a very beautiful quote/message to him...
    When I read it, it brought me to tears.... again

Mel1973, sluce, levitt and 10 others like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

oh, that's terribly sad. poor girl.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

I've had really dark periods that lasted for a few days where I wanted to commit suicide, primarily hormone driven by perimenopause. Thankfully I haven't had an episode recently. But during that time, I felt like I was seeing things for how they really were and not how I wanted them to be or how my defense mechanisms prevented me from seeing the truth. I was certain that I had, for once, complete and total clarity about my life as it really was, and it was the most hopeless feeling in the world. When I'm not depressed, all the facts are still the same, but I'm able to put a more positive spin or make excuses for what I'm lacking.

Ultimately it was not the thought of hurting my family that kept me from doing it, because I was certain that they would get over it, that my husband would soon remarry to someone who fit his ideal better than I did, and that she would be a more nurturing mother than I had been. I could convince myself that I was actually doing them a favor, sure, it would be an initial shock but they would recover and ultimately be better off. What kept me from doing it was stupid things, like wanting to see how a TV show turned out, or realizing that I would never get to see all of the places I had wanted to travel to. Sometimes you're in such a deep hole you can't see how much you really mean to other people, or you are able to discount relationships you've had for years like they've just been a big illusion.

travelbug, I feel you. On occasion my PMS is pretty crippling and I get very dark thoughts. Many moons ago (I'm talking years) I tried doing what Robin did, but I broke the light fitting as I was very young, very foolish, and very distraught so I didn't really think things through correctly. I luckily feel like I have moved past the dark cloud that haunted me and followed me around for quite some time. Whenever I feel great despair now I think of my parents, who would be destroyed and never get over it. My mother found her own father after he had committed suicide, and she's never going to get over that. How can I rob her of her only child, flaws and all?

More importantly, I now love and value my life greatly. Also, I can't deprive Peyton Manning of the joy in experiencing Levitt - that would be just too tragic.

I'm sure glad that light fitting broke.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I lost a close family member to suicide. I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't pissed. That I didn't think they were a son of a bitch for doing this to my family. For crushing all of us and leaving us behind to deal with it. How could we not be enough? How could you never want to see any of us again? How is it that we're devastated without you, but it was so easy for you to just leave us behind? But, then I got it. I understood. It wasn't about us. He loved us and felt the world would be a better place without him. He didnt want to fight anymore. He just wanted peace. He was the one who decided he never wanted to see a sunrise again. Never wanted to sit with his children and watch his grandchildren grow. Never wanted to enjoy something as simple as a nice cool breeze, a cup of coffee, a bird singing. Nothing.

In suicide, someone is almost always going to be left behind to deal with finding the body. As bad as that is, I imagine it's worse if he were to have done it where he would never be found.
    Kathie_Moffett and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I'm sure glad that light fitting broke.
    This made my eyes water. Thank you, you know I love you!
    gas_chick and firebrat1229 like this.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information