Login to remove the ads!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Robin Gibb passes away

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Donna Summer and Robin Gibb- who is the third one ?
    MC Adam Yauch
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Rip.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    MC Adam Yauch
    Betty White is safe for another year

RIP Robin. So sad for his family especially his poor mother.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Another legend gone.

RIP Robin.
    BlameItOnVanity likes this.

Barry's statement is a video compilation to one of their songs as a tribute to all the brothers he lost. So, not just to Bodding (Robin) but also to Woggy (Maurice) and Andy. Bodding & Woggy were nicknames the twins had thought up for themselves as toddlers. In the clip, you can see Maurice's crazy sense of humor, with his silly dance moves, and hear Robin's soulful vocals.

[YOUTUBE]xf7HbY_lafk[/YOUTUBE]
    Bluebonnet and Jazzy64 like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I was just coming here to post the same video.

Beautiful tribute to all of the brothers. I just can't imagine how Barry and his mother are coping.

Here is a beautiful tribute from Gibb family friend, David English.

Bee Gee legend Robin Gibb had biggest heart of any man I knew, manager reveals - The Daily Record
    BlameItOnVanity likes this.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and Kenny Everett is a comic genius who made a lovely tribute to the boys many years ago on his sketch show. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

[YOUTUBE]The Do-It-Yourself Bee Gees Kit - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]
    Witchywoman likes this.

Robin Gibb 'paid out £4million for love child' but devastated widow Dwina 'fears former housekeeper wants more'

By Lucy Buckland

PUBLISHED: 08:55, 27 May 2012 | UPDATED: 09:26, 27 May 2012

Robin Gibb's devastated widow fears the mother of his love child fathered with their former housekeeper will demand more cash since his death - despite reportedly receiving a £4million pay off.

After 12 months of legal wrangling Gibb's lover Claire Yang is said to have received the one off payment for three-year-old Snow Robin's care.

But after the singer's death the family are said to fear his former lover will demand a larger slice of his £140million fortune.

First picture: Claire Yang with daughter Snow Robin - in January she received £4million for her daughter's care

Robin's grieving widow Dwina is said to be worried Claire, 36, will seek legal advice despite agreeing to the one-off child maintenance deal in January.

A source close to the Gibb family told The Sunday Mirror the legal fight, which went on while Robin was undergoing hospital treatment, upset Dwina.
    The source added: 'If Claire does go to the funeral she will be ­keeping her distance from Dwina and it will be awkward. Robin never walked away from his responsibilities and always made sure the child was fully provided for.

Upset: Dwina, pictured left with Robin, fears her husbands former lover may demand more cash after Robin's death

'Snow Robin is a Gibb child so will be treated exactly the same as the other three children. It is not about the money but it is the nature of the lengthy legal process which distressed Dwina and the family.'
    Gibb, 62, who died from liver and colon cancer on May 20, had a long-term affair with Claire but was asked to leave the Gibbs’ house by bisexual Dwina, 59, when she became pregnant.

Despite having an open relationship it is thought Dwina 'hit the roof' when she discovered Claire was pregnant.

'Hit the roof': Although Robin and Dwina famously had an open relationship his wife was said to be angry when she discovered Claire Yang was pregnant

Robin later brought his mistress a home five miles from his Thame home after paying her rent before his daughter was born.
    Friends have spoken of Claire's love for Robin and the former housekeeper, who became known as the star's companion, thought the pair could have a future together.
    But Robin is thought to have told his mistress he would never leave his wife.

Speaking about her married life, Dwina famously said: 'We have an open relationship. Robin has had flings in the past with friends of mine and he talks about them.
    'It doesn't worry me because I trust my friends. And I am, after all, his best friend as well as his wife and lover - and I'm sure we'll be together.'

Fortune: The Bee Gees, pictured in 1979, became global superstars with Robin accumulating (far left) accumulating a £140 million estate

Robin and his twin brother Maurice formed the Bee Gees with their older brother Barry, now 62 in the late 50s.
    The trio shot to mega-stardom after creating the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever in 1977. Maurice Gibb died of a burst intestine in 2003 and their younger brother Andy died from a cocaine overdose aged just 30 in the 1980s.
    Under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and ­Dependents) Act 1975, any child is allowed to ­contest a will.

Read more: Robin Gibb paid out £4million for love child but widow Dwina fears former housekeeper will demand more cash | Mail Online

The irony of big brother Barry being the sole survivor of the Bee Gees lies in the fact that it was because of his failing health, that the brothers had to stop touring.
    I just rewatched a DVD bio on them and it said Barry's problems began as far back as 1989. Then they were doing a world tour and by the end of the European leg of it, Barry almost couldn't walk anymore after having been on stage each show.
    They had to cancel the US part of the tour and Barry said about that period "When you're literally begging doctors to operate on your back, you know it's bad". If he wouldn't have had that surgery then, he would have become an invalid surgeons concluded.
    But the tragic thing about it is that he still became more or less an invalid as a result of the surgery. At first he had an allergic reaction to the synthetic morphine (painkiller) that resulted in a cardiac arrest. But then, as recuperation followed, it turned out the surgery had sparked an aggressive type of arthritis. As he learned to adjust to that in the following years, it was also discovered he had a heart defect: he was extremely tired all the time and had frequent dizzy spells. Turned out his heart does not contract correctly; a non-life threatening, but quite debilitating condition.
    Because they still had tour obligations, and they really - including Barry - also still wanted to give back to the fans, they came up with the "One Night Only" concept, a very laid back touring schedule combined with pay-per-view that didn't compromise Barry's condition and still gave the fans the opportunity to see them live.
    And now, Mr. Barry "I'm a physical wreck" Gibb is the only Gibb brother left.

***** celeb

I read that there is a Gibb sister as well. She's not famous though.

I love "The Barry Gibb Talk Show":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9M835iBHgk
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I read that there is a Gibb sister as well. She's not famous though.
    The oldest child of Hugh and Barbara Gibb is daughter Lesley, who did not move back to England in the late 1960's but stayed with her husband in Australia. They breed dogs.

Article Source: Mirror UK
    The title is misleading because it's a pretty well known fact they have an older sister and a niece who was more or less raised as a younger sister, Berri.

Heartache of the unknown Gibb sister who sang with the Bee Gees

Lesley Evans, who turned down stardom, has buried three of her brothers who died premature deaths

In the background: Robin and Lesley Gibb

She's the Bee Gee people have never heard of. The sister who sang with the band in their early days but turned down stardom.

Lesley Evans, 67, has always stayed in the background, away from the limelight loved by her legendary brothers.

Only the most die-hard Bee Gee fans know she exists.

But today she opens her heart to the Sunday Mirror for the first time about her anguish at the death of her younger brother Robin after losing his twin Maurice and *youngest brother Andy too.

And she talks about her amazing memories of growing up in the Gibb family – and how she once saved Robin’s life. Holding a treasured photo of herself and the superstar, Lesley tells how her only *surviving brother Barry Gibb, 65, called her to tell her Robin was dying of cancer.

“Just before he died, Barry rang and said to me, ‘You know he’s not gonna come through this, Les’,” she says.

“And I said, ‘Yes, I know’. And then he said, ‘It’s just us now, luv’. I can’t believe it. It doesn’t seem to make sense.’

Speaking at her home in Australia’s remote blue *mountains, grieving dog *breeder Lesley pours out her memories.

She tells how she once stood in for Robin, replacing him on stage in London for a sell-out performance in 1969 after he had a “brotherly spat” with the band. A new mum of twins, she had to step in and rehearse in his place a month before they were due to perform at the Talk of the Town.

Lesley says: “I secretly *became the fourth Bee Gee. It was amazing. I loved it on the night. I know Robin watched it and he said he felt very choked up about it.

Maurice Gibb, Lesley Gibb, Colin Petersen and Barry Gibb Close family: Maurice, Lesley, Colin Petersen and Barry
    © Monitor Picture Library

“I couldn’t sound like Robin, of course, but our harmonies as Gibb family members *sounded very much the same.

“He said he loved my *performance, but I told him if he felt like that, why don’t you just come back then? Which, of course, he eventually did.”

But Lesley was not *interested in showbiz. Instead she was to become became a top breeder of Staffordshire bull terriers, married to an Australian *salesman, Keith Evans, and having seven children.

But her mind keeps coming back to her childhood with Robin, and she recalls how she saved his life after he fell into a river when the family lived in the Isle of Man.

She says: “Robin and Maurice were about 18 months old and were toddling along. Robin fell in. I remember him floating along with his eyes staring up.

“I went in up to my waist and grabbed him under the arms until people came to help us both out of the water.”

She adds: “We grew up *surrounded by love and music in a very *happy household. We had a brilliant childhood.

“We all used to say, ‘Oh, *Robin’s a stuffed shirt’, because he was always very pompous. He *never called me Lesley. It was always sister. I would not see him for 10 years and I could walk into a room and he would say, ‘Oh, hello sister. How are you?’

“He was a thinker. He was very deep, really.”

She last saw Robin in Sydney in October 2010, shortly after he had emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage.

“He was bouncing off the walls. He couldn’t wait to tell me how fantastic he felt,” she says. “But I thought he looked painfully thin. And a month or so later mum rang to tell me he had cancer.”

Lesley said Robin’s death last Sunday has left their mother Barbara, 93, devastated after losing Maurice to complications from a twisted intestine at 53 and Andy to heart inflammation at 30.

“She asked me, ‘What have I done wrong to lose three sons so young?’ She is still fighting fit,” says Lesley. “I know Robin said they were being punished to pay for the fame and fortune.

“But a lot of it was *fixable. Maurice had a twisted bowel and if it had been diagnosed properly, he would have been OK. And Andy never told us he had a heart condition.”

Lesley pays tribute to Robin’s wife Dwina, who cared for him throughout his cancer battle.

“She’s very sweet. You just feel her calmness, even when you talk on the phone.”

Lesley will not be at flying to England for Robin’s funeral because she is caring for *husband Keith, 70, who is *recovering from a stroke.

“Barry and mum understand. It would be all too much for me,” she says. “But he will live on in my heart forever.”

***** celeb

Great article. Thank you for posting.

I always have wondered why Hugh & Barbara raised "Beri". That always struck me as a bit odd, but I never have known the back story there.

Hwbl -- I always thought that Barry would have been the next one to go due to all of his health problems.

Thank you again for posting the "Lesley" article.

Here is one of my favorite Bee Gee clips.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgEEJ8rAKo
    Last edited by Wilson; May 29th, 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: link added

More Lesley then:

and now:
    (Source: Dailey Telegraph)

Lesley Evans, the sister who once was a Bee Gee

RUGGED up in her Rabbitoh's jumper and staring out at a bleak Blue Mountains afternoon, Lesley Evans modestly recalls the time she stepped in and performed live with the Bee Gees.

It was the late 1960s, and her brothers' band was an international sensation. They were unstoppable, in every sense. Each song they released topped the charts and fans couldn't get enough.

Brothers Gibb - Barry, Maurice and Robin - were living their childhood dream of making music and Lesley, the only sister, was living hers with her newborn twin daughters and breeding staffordshire bull terriers in Sydney's west.

But just weeks before the band was due to perform at London's music hub Talk of the Town, and to a broadcast audience of tens of thousands, the trio had a "brotherly spat", as Lesley explained, and Robin walked out.

With the venue counting on the band's performance, the Bee Gees' then-manager Robert Stigwood had an idea.

"Out of the blue I got a call from Rob and he said 'Lesley, can you sing?'," she said.

"I made light of it and said 'Well, can't everyone sing?'."

With little experience, other than three weeks of intense rehearsals, Lesley joined her brothers on stage.

"It was amazing. I loved it ... but it wasn't for me. I had my twins to get back to and Robin came back soon after," she said.

And so, as the Bee Gees went on to sell more than 220 million albums worldwide and be considered as second-best in music history only to The Beatles, Lesley made her home in Sydney with seven children, before she and husband Keith retired to the Blue Mountains.

"I'm a private person, I guess. Their life over there was wonderful but I was very happy here living a quiet and private life," Lesley said.

"People who know me, know who my brothers are ... and the kids' school friends know. But other than that, it's not a big deal."

When the phone call came early on Sunday morning to say Robin, 62, had just hours left to live, Lesley tried to stay focused on her brother's "spectacular life", to get her through the heartache.

"Robin lived an amazing life, better than anyone. All he ever wanted was to be a star, to have music, and he got it."

She dismissed any suggestions the Bee Gees were cursed, insisting their lives and careers had been magnificent.

"I don't think it's been a tragedy, I think their lives have been absolutely spectacular," she said.

"Robin used to wonder if we were being punished for the fame and fortune, and you've got to pay for it in some way, and we paid by losing Andy and Maurice, and Dad at a young age. But I don't think it's been a tragedy."

Robin's death has left Barry and Lesley the only surviving siblings. Andy died in 1988 from a heart condition at age 30 and Maurice, the band's musical director, suffered a heart attack in 2003 while waiting for surgery to repair a twisted intestine. He was 53.

Although she won't make it to the UK next week for Robin's funeral and memorial Lesley knows the funeral will be memorable.

"Robin wanted How Deep is Your Love played. That was his favourite," she said.

***** celeb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information