Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of Interview

If you are a comic fan the zap, pow, boom is interesting along with the storyline and how it relates to the comics.
    sluce and gardenwitch like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLee View Post
    Ah that Avengers Promo Tour has been providing quite some dish. Renner and Evans were made to apologize for slut-shaming Black Widow and now RDJ. I am also torn on RDJ. I'll cut him some slack for the walk out but what about his quite disrespectful remarks about Birdman-Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu? RDJ was asked in an Interview what he makes of Inarritu's thoughts about "cultural genocide of comic-book films".
    And RDJ said: I respect the hell out of him. I think for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like cultural genocide just speaks to how bright he is.

Video:
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/vide...MP=embed_video

Article:
    http://www.celebitchy.com/423870/rob...orant_or_fine/
    How patronising and bigoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    To a certain extent, but not to the extent that Inarritu is stating. These are tentpole-type movies for studios that provide really reliable revenue and profits. I get that they might not be for Inarritu, but a number of the directors who have done these movies - Bryan Singer ("Usual Suspects", "X-Men"), Christopher Nolan ("Memento", "Dark Knight"), Guillermo del Toro ("Cronos", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Hellboy") - actually have made good, low-budget, thought-provoking movies, too.
    I'm sorry Mo but I respectfully disagree. They may not in the context of being an American living in America (more-or-less been there, done that); but from a different perspective eg (shocker!) Euro they are and are incredibly right wing.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    How patronising and bigoted.

I'm sorry Mo but I respectfully disagree. They may not in the context of being an American living in America (more-or-less been there, done that); but from a different perspective eg (shocker!) Euro they are and are incredibly right wing.
    I think it depends on which film/superhero you are talking about. For example, the Hulk is a superhero who is targeted by the US military. In other words, makes the US Government the nemesis - which is counter to the right wing narrative.

Jason Bourne - left wing - accidental genetic superhero fighting against a rotten-to-the-core American Government.

Superman - left wing - principal enemy is an American capitalist; works by day as a journalist, which is largely a lefty profession

Captain America - kind of right wing, with kind of a eugenics subtext, and has a disturbing rah, rah America look to it, except that in the original movie his nemesis is Red Skull, a Nazi (fascist right wing dude)

X-Men - left wing. Genetic misfits exploited and/or persecuted by the US Government.

Batman - right wing. Extra-judicial punishments. Hero is a wealthy industrialist whose parents were the victim of street crime. Directed by, cough-cough, a Brit.

Iron Man - right wing. Wealthy capitalist engaging in extrajudicial crime fighting. Beats up muslims, Russians, and a special-needs Australian.

Avengers - neutral. Principal nemesis is an evil Norwegian but the Norwegian is a proponent of royalist autocratic rule.
    gas_chick and gardenwitch like this.

Plus every single "hero" has flaws sometimes many that make them almost as bad as the "bad guys" they fight but at the end of the day they try to do what is right. Maybe if you read the comics you understand the movies better.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

czb

mo has obviously given this much thought. he needs a superhero blob chart to complete the summary.
    sputnik, Kittylady and Novice like this.

All we got were bullet points. That's a piss poor excuse for a chart.
    czb likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Good point. Hopefully, I can come up with something tonight.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Good point. Hopefully, I can come up with something tonight.

That' what she said.
    sluce, rollo, CornFlakegrl and 3 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Now that would be a super hero I could get my hands around.
    Kittylady likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^ or your legs.
    sluce and Kittylady like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

And here comes the apology. Well, it's not really an apology. No. RDJ was actually complimenting Inarritu. Hm.

Edited to add: That quote wasn't taken out of content. I mean anyone can watch the video. Sure it was was one of those quick Interview sessions but as I already said RDJ didn't even try to come up with a smart answer, instead he just belittles Inarritu. *cough* Superior complex ...

Downey Jr. says Inarritu comments were complimentary, not racist

Robert Downey Jr. intended to be complimentary with a statement about Mexican-born director Alejandro Inarritu that some have interpreted as racist, the actor’s publicist said Wednesday.
    Inarritu, while promoting “Birdman” in October, likened superhero movies to a “cultural genocide.”
    Downey said in a video interview last week that “for a man whose native tongue is Spanish, to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”
    Various Twitter users accused Downey of being racist in his remarks. One woman wrote that she “loved” him until this and hashtagged the word “racist.” Another user tweeted at the actor to “keep your racist opinions to yourself.”
    Downey also said that he respects “the heck” out of Inarritu in the interview with The Guardian. Later, he remarked, too, that “a certain level of scrutiny is good” when making films that are so popular — especially among children — even if it’s critical.
    “You want to be responsible to the opportunity you’ve been given,” he said.
    The reporter also asked Downey’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” co-stars similar questions about the glut of superhero movies on the market, though none of their responses was as inflammatory.
    “Taken in the proper context of the interview, it is intended to be, and is, complimentary,” said Downey’s publicist Alan Nierob.
    (...)

Article: Downey Jr. says Inarritu comments were complimentary, not racist | Page Six

Last edited by RobbieLee; April 30th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

I don't think RDJ is a racist. Someone called his movie cultural genocide and he snarked back (and i think it was more a shot at ESL than color of skin).
    gardenwitch likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    mo has obviously given this much thought. he needs a superhero blob chart to complete the summary.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    All we got were bullet points. That's a piss poor excuse for a chart.
    rollo, CornFlakegrl, Tati and 18 others like this.

oh my god, Mo, did you make that? That's a goddamn riot.

Fascist or not, Jack Bauer would totally get it from me.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information