Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of Interview

I agree with Inarritu. And maybe "cultural genocide" is a strong term, but I don't think it's entirely out of reach, especially for a man who views and makes movies as an art form, rather than purely for profits. Especially when the profits are in the hundreds of millions, shilling out crap for the sole purpose of personal wealth. If the guy makes films as his passion, as his art, it'll be disturbing to see the medium used just for $$ by way of pushing out shitty movies (esp since they are very right wing and jingoistic, like sput said---not only are they crap, but they have those undertones).
    Gilmourgirl, Belt Up and Beeyotch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Remember, though, that's Murthy's side of the story. We probably won't hear Downey's because he won't be a big enough a-hole to respond.
    Robert Downey Jr calls Krishnan Guru-Murthy a 'bottom-feeding muckraker' | Daily Mail Online
    Brah likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I guess I'm a simple, toddler because I loved superheroes as a kid and I love them now. I'd rather watch a mindless action film than an Oscar nominated movie any day of the week and that is okay because it is what I like. I've never gotten an arrogant vibe for RDJ. Sarcastic as hell vibe oh yes but not arrogant.

He told Howard Stern yesterday that he felt it was inappropriate for a superhero movie press junket which a lot of kids would see and he didn't want to engage or fight with the guy so he left.
    Clubber Lang and gardenwitch like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

That was a little strongly worded, I agree. To be fair to Downey, here are his quotes in context:
    He told Howard Stern: 'I'm one of those guys who I'm always assuming the social decorum is in play, and that we're promoting a superhero movie, a lot of kids are going to see it, and that just has nothing to do with your creepy dark agenda that Im feeling, like, all of a sudden ashamed and obligated to accommodate your weirdo shit.'

He went on to recount how he felt during the interview with Guru-Murthy: '"You know what? You are weirding me out. You are a bottom-feeding muckraker." My heart was beating in my chest because this was the first interview of the day. What do you think are you in Kumbaya land?

'What I have to do in the future is give myself permission to say, "That is more than likely a syphilitic parasite and I need to distance myself from this clown, otherwise I'm probably gonna put hands on this somebody and then there's a real story!"'

Downey Jr also referred to Guru-Murthy's 2013 interview with Quentin Tarantino, in which the actor let fly with a bizarre rant.

'First of all, I dont even know that guys name, but he pulled the same garbage on Tarantino, and Tarantino stayed in his chair and lit him up for five minutes,' Downey Jr said.
    He added: Im a 50-year-old guy, I use fancy words and yet Im completely unevolved when it comes to simple boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I agree with Inarritu. And maybe "cultural genocide" is a strong term, but I don't think it's entirely out of reach, especially for a man who views and makes movies as an art form, rather than purely for profits. Especially when the profits are in the hundreds of millions, shilling out crap for the sole purpose of personal wealth. If the guy makes films as his passion, as his art, it'll be disturbing to see the medium used just for $$ by way of pushing out shitty movies (esp since they are very right wing and jingoistic, like sput said---not only are they crap, but they have those undertones).
    Making movies (and bad ones) purely for profit pretty much dates back to the nickolodeon, and the first movies studios - MGM, etc. And the first superhero movies and TV shows (Mandrake, Batman, Superman) date back to the 1940s. The first modern big-budget superhero film was probably Richard Donner's "Superman". In other words, this is not a new thing - but that wouldn't fit within Inirrato's thesis, or maybe he doesn't have as expansive an understanding of cinema as he would like to think. By the way, Superman's arch enemy in the original and remakes has been Lex Luthor - a wealthy, evil American capitalist. Go figure.
    gas_chick and Clubber Lang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Making movies (and bad ones) purely for profit pretty much dates back to the nickolodeon, and the first movies studios - MGM, etc. And the first superhero movies and TV shows (Mandrake, Batman, Superman) date back to the 1940s. The first modern big-budget superhero film was probably Richard Donner's "Superman". In other words, this is not a new thing - but that wouldn't fit within Inirrato's thesis, or maybe he doesn't have as expansive an understanding of cinema as he would like to think. By the way, Superman's arch enemy in the original and remakes has been Lex Luthor - a wealthy, evil American capitalist. Go figure.
    He didn't say it was a new phenomenon. Film has had the Hayes code, McCarthy blacklists, and censorship nearly since its creation (at least, within America)--I'm sure he's aware of the history. There has been a long waged battle between artistic expression and "morality"/profits within film-making. It's as bothersome then as it is now.

He doesn't say it's a new thing at all. He says they want these enormous returns. Which they do, like any other business.

I would be terrible. I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are 7 years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up. The corporation and the hedge funds have a hold on Hollywood and they all want to make money on anything that signifies cinema. When you put $100 million and you get $800 million or $1 billion, it is very hard to convince people. You tell them, you will put in $20 million and you will get $80 million. Now, that is a fucking amazing business, but they say, “$80 million? I want $800 million.” Basically, the room to exhibit good nice films is over. These are taking the place of all those things.,

There is a smaller market for more artistic films, more people would rather watch Bey blow things up for 2 hours. It's just the way it is, it's not right or wrong, but the majority of the audience prefers those type of films and it's harder to get the other type of films made by major studios. That's how independent movies came to be in the first place. (Then the studios got into that business too, which changed it, but that's another conversation)

Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 29th, 2015 at 09:34 AM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I hope this incident is a wake up call for actors on their global junkets. We might get some better interviews.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Or actors will refuse to do press junkets if the press insists on discussing their perosnal lives instead of focusing on the film.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

I couldn't stand Birdman, it was one big actor jack-off, though I did love Michael Keaton's performance.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Some will refuse and some won't so bring it on!

They shouldn't be allowed to refuse, and I'm pretty sure a lot of contracts actually stipulate that part of being in the movie is to complete the promotional tour following its completion. My heart bleeds!
    rollo likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Exactly Levitt. They are required to promote the film. I doubt the contract states they are required to answer personal questions. I have a feeling many will now start to require this be outlined in their contracts.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I want to hear about the film. I don't give a crap to hear about something I've heard a million times ie RDJ's drug addiction or the damn Aniston/Pitt/Jolie triangle or the like.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It depends on the movie. Boom! Boom! Kapow! is not very interesting.

They should have shackled him to the chair and forced him to answer/make up something delicious for us to discuss on here. Or shoot him up with the hard stuff.
    Flygirl likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information