Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of Interview

Before Robert Downey Jr arrived one of the PR assistants warned us it could all end in a meltdown, though for very different reasons. For the hour while we set up cameras and lights an extra air-conditioning unit was blasting fridge-temperature air into the room. “He’ll just walk straight out if it isn’t cold enough in here when he arrives,” said the nice lady.
    RDJ sounds like the biggest dick in the room in this instance.
    Novice likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

He's always seem a bit douchey to me in general. And really arrogant.
    Sarzy, dowcat and levitt like this.

Maybe walking out of that interview was happening regardless. Maybe that was part of the publicity. Maybe RDJ was having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post

RDJ sounds like the biggest dick in the room in this instance.
    Remember, though, that's Murthy's side of the story. We probably won't hear Downey's because he won't be a big enough a-hole to respond.
    greysfang and gardenwitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Remember, though, that's Murthy's side of the story. We probably won't hear Downey's because he won't be a big enough a-hole to respond.
    Oh please, RDJ has no problems responding like an arrogant asshole that he is.
    What he said about the director A.G.Inarritu is an example of it.
    Cele|bitchy | Robert Downey Jr. throws shade at Alejandro Inarritu: ignorant or fine?

I respect the hell out of him. I think for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like cultural genocide just speaks to how bright he is.”
    Belt Up likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmourgirl View Post
    Oh please, RDJ has no problems responding like an arrogant asshole that he is.
    What he said about the director A.G.Inarritu is an example of it.
    Cele|bitchy | Robert Downey Jr. throws shade at Alejandro Inarritu: ignorant or fine?
    Really? The director who said he had no problem with Sean Penn asking how he got let into the country?
    gas_chick and SHELLEE like this.

Ah that Avengers Promo Tour has been providing quite some dish. Renner and Evans were made to apologize for slut-shaming Black Widow and now RDJ. I am also torn on RDJ. I'll cut him some slack for the walk out but what about his quite disrespectful remarks about Birdman-Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu? RDJ was asked in an Interview what he makes of Inarritu's thoughts about "cultural genocide of comic-book films".
    And RDJ said: “I respect the hell out of him. I think for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like cultural genocide just speaks to how bright he is.”

Video:
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/vide...MP=embed_video

Article:
    http://www.celebitchy.com/423870/rob...orant_or_fine/
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

that was some high class shade he threw at iñárritu.

iñárritu was right about the superhero movies though:

DEADLINE: How does this lampooning of Hollywood’s fixation with superheroes affect your chance of ever getting a crack at one?
    GONZALEZ INARRITU: I would be terrible. I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are 7 years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up. The corporation and the hedge funds have a hold on Hollywood and they all want to make money on anything that signifies cinema. When you put $100 million and you get $800 million or $1 billion, it is very hard to convince people. You tell them, you will put in $20 million and you will get $80 million. Now, that is a fucking amazing business, but they say, “$80 million? I want $800 million.” Basically, the room to exhibit good nice films is over. These are taking the place of all those things.

DEADLINE: Is there anything you enjoy about these superhero films?
    GONZALEZ INARRITU: I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn. The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters. They have been poison, this cultural genocide, because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.

DEADLINE: That message of not allowing opposing points of view in Hollywood isn’t just in these movies. After your Biutiful star Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz and Pedro Almodover signed a petition against violence in Gaza and mentioned genocide, stories cropped up speculating whether they would be able to work again in Hollywood. Whether it’s not accepting opposing viewpoints, or being preoccupied with superheroes to the point there is little room for complex adult films, or that right wing message you mentioned, does it all seem to be flowing into a river of sameness?
    GONZALEZ INARRITU: That’s what I am saying. Superheroes…just the word hero bothers me. What the fuck does that mean? It’s a false, misleading conception, the superhero. Then, the way they apply violence to it, it’s absolutely right wing. If you observe the mentality of most of those films, it’s really about people who are rich, who have power, who will do the good, who will kill the bad. Philosophically, I just don’t like them.
    DINELARIS: Those movies are so black and white. Whatever side of it you are on, Gaza is grey. Abortion is grey, and so is the death penalty. You can have a side and think that side is right, but the problem is when, whatever side you take, you’re either right or wrong. These movies tend to be myopic in their view of, this is right, this is wrong, the hero does this and the bad guys…it all comes down the manufacturing line and you know what is going to happen.
    GONZALEZ INARRITU: Ultimately, it’s about nothing. It’s a package, and you open the box, and there’s another box, and another, and it doesn’t lead you to the truth.

DEADLINE: Have you talked to those guys about that Gaza petition? I’m sure they didn’t expect the reaction they received…
    GONZALEZ INARRITU: Of course. It’s a reaction based on these values we have established. You can’t talk bad about oil, about the military…if you question the military it’s like you are betraying. If you criticize…not the Jewish aspect, but the political way of how Israel is moving, there are things you just can’t speak about. That is the philosophical terrain of the superhero movies.
    levitt likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oh, come on. Inarritu's superhero gasbaggery is tragically incomplete without bringing in Nietzsche!
    sputnik likes this.

Well, RDJ could have come up with a more diplomatic or even more poilte answer. To be fair, it was probably again one of those 5-minute-interviews but if the first thing that comes to your mind is commenting Inarritu's English skills then it kinda shows that your a bigot. Wonder how many foreign languages RDJ speaks himself.
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLee View Post
    \. Wonder how many foreign languages RDJ speaks himself.
    He has been hanging out with fishsticks so probably fluent in Goop.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    He's always seem a bit douchey to me in general. And really arrogant.

I love him as an actor, but I have to agree. He just seems like an irritating,arrogant douchebag. I had him on my Facebook newsfeed and had to unlike it. I'll like him through the characters he plays.
    sputnik and dowcat like this.

Downey is probably on the bottom end of the arrogant, douchiness scale compared to Inarritu. It was Inarritu who was comparing escapist, superhero movies to cultural genocide.

^^^^
    you have to admit, they are really right wing and jingoistic. And simple.
    Brah, Novice and Beeyotch like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    you have to admit, they are really right wing and jingoistic. And simple.
    To a certain extent, but not to the extent that Inarritu is stating. These are tentpole-type movies for studios that provide really reliable revenue and profits. I get that they might not be for Inarritu, but a number of the directors who have done these movies - Bryan Singer ("Usual Suspects", "X-Men"), Christopher Nolan ("Memento", "Dark Knight"), Guillermo del Toro ("Cronos", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Hellboy") - actually have made good, low-budget, thought-provoking movies, too.
    gas_chick likes this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information