Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 145
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of Interview

  1. #46
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,523

    Default

    Bingo!



    and nice to see you Penn!
    Free Charmed.

  2. #47
    Gold Member coolade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    801

    Default

    A serious journalist?

  3. #48
    Elite Member kasippu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    Can I just point out the obvious here? You don't invite a serious journalist like KGM to do an exclusive interview, however short, without knowing that he's going to ask something a good bit more interesting and revealing than, 'What did you feel when you first read the script?' or similar movie-fan-magazine questions. It's like asking a war photographer to take wedding pictures.

    Everyone there had a job to do. RDJ is contracted to promote the movie but he obviously shouldn't be forced to answer over-personal questions. The PRs, unless they're unbelievably naiive (which they can't be if they're handling an A-lister) wouldn't have invited an interviewer of KGM's repute if they didn't think he was going to ask revealing questions. And the interviewer's job wasn't that of a syncophantic fan, a local newspaper reporter or even a movie magazine editor. He's a heavyweight interviewer, and his job was to get something revealing, otherwise there was no point including him on the press list. If the PRs only wanted 'fluff', they would have only invited 'fluffy' lighterweight journalists. Do you really think they didn't know who KGM was?!? That is definitely their job.

    Since RDJ has never had a problem being honest about his 'demons', combined with whatever the PRs probably implied (or agreed), there was no reason for GM to think he was on forbidden territory. In fact, if personal questions are going to be off-limits, it is usually clarified in advance, which is probably why you can see how shocked he and his cameraman were by RDJ's abrupt exit. But he was at no point disprespectful or aggressive with his questioning, and frankly, RDJ is usually articulate enough (and intelligent enough) to be able to deal with all that anyway - usually with a certain amount of humour and charm, too. Also, there were only 2-3 mins left of the interview, so there was little need for it to have been axed like that. If he'd simply said that the line of questioning had to change, the interviewer may have been frustrated, not to mention furious with the PR, but he would have carried on trying to get something interesting within that limit. IT'S HIS JOB. I can only think that RDJ was either promised a soft ride (by the PR, not the journalist), or he was being lazy ('Oh I'm not in the mood for this today; let the PR deal with this shit,') or he was being a prima donna. But not all journalists are bottom-feeders, and this one certainly isn't.

    Agreed, didn't his PR team see the Tarantino interview. IF you invite a journalist like that to your bucket, this is the questioning to expect. AND nobody shows up to a junket uninvited.

  4. #49
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    29,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    Can I just point out the obvious here? You don't invite a serious journalist like KGM to do an exclusive interview, however short, without knowing that he's going to ask something a good bit more interesting and revealing than, 'What did you feel when you first read the script?' or similar movie-fan-magazine questions. It's like asking a war photographer to take wedding pictures.

    Everyone there had a job to do. RDJ is contracted to promote the movie but he obviously shouldn't be forced to answer over-personal questions. The PRs, unless they're unbelievably naiive (which they can't be if they're handling an A-lister) wouldn't have invited an interviewer of KGM's repute if they didn't think he was going to ask revealing questions. And the interviewer's job wasn't that of a syncophantic fan, a local newspaper reporter or even a movie magazine editor. He's a heavyweight interviewer, and his job was to get something revealing, otherwise there was no point including him on the press list. If the PRs only wanted 'fluff', they would have only invited 'fluffy' lighterweight journalists. Do you really think they didn't know who KGM was?!? That is definitely their job.

    Since RDJ has never had a problem being honest about his 'demons', combined with whatever the PRs probably implied (or agreed), there was no reason for GM to think he was on forbidden territory. In fact, if personal questions are going to be off-limits, it is usually clarified in advance, which is probably why you can see how shocked he and his cameraman were by RDJ's abrupt exit. But he was at no point disprespectful or aggressive with his questioning, and frankly, RDJ is usually articulate enough (and intelligent enough) to be able to deal with all that anyway - usually with a certain amount of humour and charm, too. Also, there were only 2-3 mins left of the interview, so there was little need for it to have been axed like that. If he'd simply said that the line of questioning had to change, the interviewer may have been frustrated, not to mention furious with the PR, but he would have carried on trying to get something interesting within that limit. IT'S HIS JOB. I can only think that RDJ was either promised a soft ride (by the PR, not the journalist), or he was being lazy ('Oh I'm not in the mood for this today; let the PR deal with this shit,') or he was being a prima donna. But not all journalists are bottom-feeders, and this one certainly isn't.
    I don't think it's exactly lazy of Downey not to want to dredge up an incredibly painful history of his drug use, especially since he was also being asked to indict his own father in the whole mess. That's pretty heavy when the work that is being talked about is a bunch of super heroes in tights. I think two mistakes were mad: Guru-Murthy for showing up in the first place - assuming he's a serious journalist. The other mistake were the publicists at the studio who nominated him to receive credentials on the press junket. Because of how this turned out, I suspect whoever approved Murthy is going to get canned, and Murthy is not going to get nominated for credentials again for an event like this.
    gas_chick likes this.

  5. #50
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    24,392

    Default

    Him is so sensitive.
    Icepik and idunno like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  6. #51
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think it's exactly lazy of Downey not to want to dredge up an incredibly painful history of his drug use, especially since he was also being asked to indict his own father in the whole mess. That's pretty heavy when the work that is being talked about is a bunch of super heroes in tights. I think two mistakes were mad: Guru-Murthy for showing up in the first place - assuming he's a serious journalist. The other mistake were the publicists at the studio who nominated him to receive credentials on the press junket. Because of how this turned out, I suspect whoever approved Murthy is going to get canned, and Murthy is not going to get nominated for credentials again for an event like this.
    Hold on now. RDJ already publicly in court thrown his dad under the bus when he was trying to get out of going to jail on drugs charges, DUI, carrying magnum 357, breaking into neighbours' houses, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....
    He has also repeated it in multiple interviews.

    "Shapiro said his client's addiction was the result of his growing up in a dysfunctional family and being exposed to drugs at a young age."
    Its in a book, countless articles and he brought it up again in Oct 2014 in Vanity Fair
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...owney-jr-cover

    Maybe he should be more concerned about his own son's drug arrest and court appearance?
    Indio Downey pleads guilty to drug felony; Robert Downey Jr. looks on - LA Times
    rollo likes this.
    Free Charmed.

  7. #52
    Elite Member rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    44,822

    Default

    I really hope we aren't going to get sugar-coated press junkets from now on - from RDJ or anyone really. Might as well invite the fan clubs in that case and just have a love-in.
    kasippu likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

  8. #53
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    14,384

    Default

    Yes but maybe he's moved past it, healed things with his dad (I don't know) and doesn't want to revisit it and put his Dad back in the hot seat??

    Or maybe the whole thing was a publicity stunt to drum up more headlines for the movie. Not that this movie really needs controversy to sell it.

    All I know is I like RDJ and when he wants to talk about his personal life he can and when he doesn't, he shouldn't have to, imo.

    Of course if I didn't like him I'd be calling him a baby!
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

  9. #54
    Elite Member stef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    11,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think it's exactly lazy of Downey not to want to dredge up an incredibly painful history of his drug use, especially since he was also being asked to indict his own father in the whole mess. That's pretty heavy when the work that is being talked about is a bunch of super heroes in tights. I think two mistakes were mad: Guru-Murthy for showing up in the first place - assuming he's a serious journalist. The other mistake were the publicists at the studio who nominated him to receive credentials on the press junket. Because of how this turned out, I suspect whoever approved Murthy is going to get canned, and Murthy is not going to get nominated for credentials again for an event like this.
    that's a good point - maybe he would've answered the question in a different environment. there's a time and place, and this wasn't it. the whole interview was awkward, they just didn't get along. not sure if walking out of an interview is the professional way out of it, though.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

  10. #55
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    54,359

    Default

    Guru is a dick. He knew what the approved topics were since they do it for all press junkets. Everyone is getting on RDJs team for scheduling with a so called serious journo, well why the hell did guru agree to the interview? I repeat, he's a fucking Dick.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  11. #56
    Elite Member SHELLEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    22,187

    Default

    Just stating that I too am a RDJ fan and he was right in walking out. Leave RDJ A LONE!
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

  12. #57
    Elite Member penname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Bingo!


    and nice to see you Penn!
    Hi Novice! Nice to see you, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    A serious journalist?
    Yep, look him up. Google is your friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think it's exactly lazy of Downey not to want to dredge up an incredibly painful history of his drug use, especially since he was also being asked to indict his own father in the whole mess. That's pretty heavy when the work that is being talked about is a bunch of super heroes in tights. I think two mistakes were mad: Guru-Murthy for showing up in the first place - assuming he's a serious journalist. The other mistake were the publicists at the studio who nominated him to receive credentials on the press junket. Because of how this turned out, I suspect whoever approved Murthy is going to get canned, and Murthy is not going to get nominated for credentials again for an event like this.
    I didn't say he was lazy. I merely suggested it as one of the possible reasons for his walking out (and I suggested some other alternatives, too). I can understand why he wouldn't want to talk about it, but as he's talked about it before, it isn't a subject that is necessarily off-limits. G-M is certainly a serious news/current affairs journalist - perhaps the reason you don't know him is because he works in the UK, not the US, but he reports the news for one of our main terrestrial TV channels, presents a foreign affairs documentary series, and has made various programmes on medical, cultural and even movie subjects. This is no tabloid hack.

    Also, I highly doubt that anyone will get canned. Actually, it's quite hard to get 'canned' over here, unless you 'bugger the bursar' (to quote Educating Rita) or at least deck a producer (ask Jeremy Clarkson - and he's not actually been 'canned' from the BBC, only from that particular programme. Go figure.)

    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Guru is a dick. He knew what the approved topics were since they do it for all press junkets. Everyone is getting on RDJs team for scheduling with a so called serious journo, well why the hell did guru agree to the interview? I repeat, he's a fucking Dick.
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion about this particular journalist. He can be anything you like - or dislike. But it simply isn't true that "approved topics" are listed for "all" press junkets. It can happen, and it does happen, but it doesn't always happen.



    In case anyone's interested, I just googled whether GM has said anything about what happened, and I found a piece he'd written in The Guardian (one of the UK's broadsheets so, again, not a tabloid). Here you go:

    Krishnan Guru-Murthy: do stars and news need to go their separate ways?

    “Are we promoting a movie?” asked Robert Downey Jr, clearly puzzled by how the interview was going. “You are, but I’m not,” is what I perhaps should have said to clear up the confusion.
    Therein lies the problem. The same one I’d faced with Quentin Tarantino who’d told me that our encounter was “a commercial for my movie” when I wanted to also ask about violence in cinema because US politicians were debating it that day following the Sandy Hook massacre.
    We don’t do promotional interviews on Channel 4 News. We agree with PR people that as well as talking about a new movie for a while we want to ask wider ranging questions on relatively serious topics, and we don’t guarantee to run any answers in particular. When Robert Downey Jr’s PR man rang up asking what we wanted to talk about, we said we had no particular agenda but would ask about the new Avengers superhero movie and his recovery from jail and drug abuse to Hollywood stardom. I’m a fan, from Iron Man to Tropic Thunder and Chaplin, of his huge talent, and I was excited to be doing the interview. We were given what they called a “double slot” of 10 minutes and our own room in the junket hotel.

    Robert Downey Jr walkout: six more times celebrity interviews turned bad

    An interview with a movie star isn’t intended to be “news”. We do it to add texture to the normal diet of politics, foreign affairs and investigations in a Channel 4 News running order. Some are happy to engage, and seem quite relieved to escape the junket monotony engineered by the PRs. Robert Redford, Michelle Pfeiffer, Samuel L Jackson and Carey Mulligan have all happily taken the chance to talk to me about things ranging from politics to sexism, from violence to Alzheimer’s disease. That’s what makes a movie star interview worth running on the news. We love to have talented people saying surprising and intelligent things about serious topics. Superheroes alone, no matter how Marvel-ous, don’t quite cut it.

    I prepare for Hollywood actor interviews the same way as any other, by reading and watching what people have said before. There were two things from past interviews that seemed interesting for a Channel 4 News audience: Downey had told the New York Times he couldn’t go from a $2,000-a-night hotel suite to prison and come out a liberal, and he’d suggested to Vanity Fair that drug abuse had an inherited element. None of it should have come as a surprise, but I nonetheless offered him two opportunities to say “I’d rather not talk about this stuff”. He could have engaged more with the earlier questions and I’d have never had time for the ones he didn’t like. He could have played a dead bat with the serious stuff and the whole thing might have been dropped from the running order as too dull. He could have said he didn’t want to talk about himself and I’d have tried another serious topic.
    I do have sympathy for the actors. These interviews are the contractual obligation of being a movie star, and it must be awful to be unable to escape the past. But my sympathy runs only up to a point. If I was going to ask any other interviewee about difficult topics I would probably have a chat beforehand to prepare them. Movie stars don’t do that. As anyone else in the public eye knows, the best way to eclipse an uncomfortable topic is to volunteer one that is more interesting. But when I’ve asked movie stars what they would like to talk about, to see if they have a nugget they would like to drop on Channel 4 News, the response is usually along the lines of “not really, I hate all this”.
    Maybe, like a bad relationship, this just isn’t working. We want different things out of it. I want something serious and illuminating, they just want publicity. Maybe we and the movie stars should just go our separate ways, and find people more suited to our needs. But I think that would be a shame. There’s an easy marriage to be worked out here with a bit of give and take. And some intelligent casting by the PR companies. If a movie star has no interest in engaging, maybe don’t offer them up to the news. Find one of the cast who does.
    The perfect promotional interview was probably invented by Richard Ayoade. His hilarious performance on Channel 4 News wasn’t quite as spontaneous as some thought. Nor was it a falling-out. We spoke before. I knew he didn’t want to talk about himself. The book wasn’t really about him. So we discussed a way of making it an engaging piece of television instead. He even ended the encounter with the most intelligent analysis of the Tarantino interview yet, speaking of “the essential lie of the interview situation”.
    Before Robert Downey Jr arrived one of the PR assistants warned us it could all end in a meltdown, though for very different reasons. For the hour while we set up cameras and lights an extra air-conditioning unit was blasting fridge-temperature air into the room. “He’ll just walk straight out if it isn’t cold enough in here when he arrives,” said the nice lady.
    When he did arrive, and I told him about loving the movie and having a very excited seven-year-old at home who’d love an Iron Man autograph, the minders told me to get going with the interview. Perhaps the truth is that in that kind of bizarre atmosphere, where nobody is acting like a normal human being, warming him up was never going to be easy. But I remain a fan of Iron Man.

    rollo likes this.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

  13. #58
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    54,359

    Default

    None of it should have come as a surprise, but I nonetheless offered him two opportunities to say “I’d rather not talk about this stuff”. He could have engaged more with the earlier questions and I’d have never had time for the ones he didn’t like. He could have played a dead bat with the serious stuff and the whole thing might have been dropped from the running order as too dull. He could have said he didn’t want to talk about himself and I’d have tried another serious topic.
    He must have the emotional IQ of a predator then if he didn't see RDJs brush offs to his questions as what they were. Again, he's not only a dick, but now he's a liar.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  14. #59
    Elite Member penname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Well, he has the emotional IQ of a journalist so, in a way, you're right!
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

  15. #60
    Elite Member Geest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    that's a good point - maybe he would've answered the question in a different environment. there's a time and place, and this wasn't it. the whole interview was awkward, they just didn't get along. not sure if walking out of an interview is the professional way out of it, though.
    Totally agree.
    It felt that the reporter was trying so hard to conduct a soul bearing deep interview in 7 minutes in the context of a superhero movie - it felt wrong, they didn't click, he was pressing and honestly, his inability to construe a whole question was really annoying. His sentences were like a car driven by a drunk driver in the snow : skidding left, right, jerking back and forth... Tiresome fellow.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 6th, 2015, 04:18 PM
  2. Whatever happened to Robert Downey Jr?
    By chatterweb in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 27th, 2014, 11:39 PM
  3. Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey - Oscars 2010
    By dowcat in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 03:18 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
  5. Robert Downey Jr's Rolling Stone interview
    By Honey in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •