Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Is Robert De Niro an anti-vaxxer?

Love reading this thread. My son has autism, currently classified as high functioning, and he is an awesome kid. He is extremely academically advanced, learning algebra and reading on an almost middle school level at 5. He is fun and affectionate. He is socially clueless though, and socially functions on the level of a three year old. We made the decision to explain to him that he has autism via a book, and what autism means, and we bought him another book to read to his kindergarten class about a little boy with autism. He understands that he has autism and that we don't, but that his autism just means that his brain works a little differently. While he doesn't seem upset about having it, he does ask why none of the rest of us have it.

I'm worried about/for him. His sister receives birthday party invitations all the time; he never gets them. He's too young to notice or care now, but I'm worried about what will happen when he gets older. He is a sensitive, sweet boy and I hate to think of him being ostracized when he is older.
    sputnik, sluce, KrisNine and 8 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    Love reading this thread. My son has autism, currently classified as high functioning, and he is an awesome kid. He is extremely academically advanced, learning algebra and reading on an almost middle school level at 5. He is fun and affectionate. He is socially clueless though, and socially functions on the level of a three year old. We made the decision to explain to him that he has autism via a book, and what autism means, and we bought him another book to read to his kindergarten class about a little boy with autism. He understands that he has autism and that we don't, but that his autism just means that his brain works a little differently. While he doesn't seem upset about having it, he does ask why none of the rest of us have it.

I'm worried about/for him. His sister receives birthday party invitations all the time; he never gets them. He's too young to notice or care now, but I'm worried about what will happen when he gets older. He is a sensitive, sweet boy and I hate to think of him being ostracized when he is older.
    He sounds like a terrific kid. With our son, we explained that everyone has something they struggle with -- his is autism. You might not know what someone's struggle is --but everyone has something that makes life a struggle in some way. We taught him that different doesn't mean less. We helped him maximize his strengths and gave him strategies for dealing with his areas of struggle. The fact that you are so open about it is fantastic. It will be amazing for him and for his peers!

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post

We have been open with our son as well and I wholeheartedly believe that this is the best way to handle it. Unfortunately since we were so late getting a diagnosis a great deal of damage had already been done. The birthday party situation at school was the worst form of torture for him. That is really when the pain became unbearable. I honestly believe that the parents of the other kids are the ones who determine just how difficult it will ultimately become for our kids. Some parents are very conscious about including everyone at the parties in the earlier grades, or at least giving out the invitations outside of the school. Their kids tended to be more sensitive. Unfortunately, while there are many decent people out there, don't fool yourself into thinking that if someone is educated and is sending their kids to a good school that it means they have a modicum of compassion and won't produce children who are crappy little shits. But compassion often comes from the most unlikely people and it never ceases to amaze me when it happens. Unfortunately, my son became aware early on that he was being ostracized and it was awful. On the other hand, he had a classmate (who I knew in my heart was definitely on the spectrum-much more so than my son) and he never seemed to register the teasing or the lack of inclusion. He was always quite cheerful, head in the clouds, and never seemed to understand what was going on around him in terms of the way the others treated him. I used to wish my son had been a little "out of touch" like this boy. It might have saved him a great number of nights crying into his pillow.
    Last edited by sparkles; April 18th, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
    tulip, AgentOrange, sluce and 1 others like this.

Out of curiosity - have any of you parents with autistic children run into people who 'just don't get it'? People who think autism is "an excuse", or that autistics "need to be pushed"? (I say that because I suspect I may have something like Asperger's, but in the few cases where I've tried to discuss it, I've run into some very negative attitudes. One guy, who himself had ADHD, told me it was 'an excuse' for 'being a loner' and 'not wanting to fit in'. I was so pissed off I told him ADHD was an excuse for being an asshole and not paying attention. Then I went out side and had a meltdown )

Ooooooh yes. His own father is in denial and thinks he'll be fine he just needs to stop. Mine has extreme sensory issues and if people sing happy birthday in a restaurant he will try to bite himself and cover his ears, people have openly laughed when they've seen it. I try to just focus on him when it happens and not look up I can't bear to see it.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Out of curiosity - have any of you parents with autistic children run into people who 'just don't get it'? People who think autism is "an excuse", or that autistics "need to be pushed"? (I say that because I suspect I may have something like Asperger's, but in the few cases where I've tried to discuss it, I've run into some very negative attitudes. One guy, who himself had ADHD, told me it was 'an excuse' for 'being a loner' and 'not wanting to fit in'. I was so pissed off I told him ADHD was an excuse for being an asshole and not paying attention. Then I went out side and had a meltdown )
    I've run into several people who "don't get it" and I have deep sympathy for your situation, Agent Orange. I think some don't get it because they have simply not been educated, some because they are just not that bright, and some because they are nasty excuses for human beings. I think the situation you just described was definitely a member of the third group. I think your response to him was just perfect. I have a similar problem when attempting to discuss my own experiences with depression. I meet people all the time who think it is merely an excuse and that those who claim they have it need to get their shit together and get a grip. Sure, I'll get right on that. Some of these people we can educate but as for many of the others, my philosophy is that you simply can't fix stupid. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    Ooooooh yes. His own father is in denial and thinks he'll be fine he just needs to stop. Mine has extreme sensory issues and if people sing happy birthday in a restaurant he will try to bite himself and cover his ears, people have openly laughed when they've seen it. I try to just focus on him when it happens and not look up I can't bear to see it.
    I am so sorry to read this, Air Quotes. It has got to be excruciating for you to see. I totally relate to the sensory issues being a big problem and I have gotten to the point where I am ready to tackle anyone who has the gall to laugh or roll their eyes at my son's responses. I've given so many dirty looks to adults like the individuals you describe that I am surprised I have any left to give but I clearly have an endless supply. My husband had a very difficult time understanding autism and its issues but after we attending just one meeting of a group for parents of kids with Asperger's he seemed to change his tune to a large degree. If there is anything like that in your area I would highly recommend attending a couple of meetings and dragging your husband with you. My heart goes out to you. If you should ever need anyone to speak with just pm me and I will be there to listen.
    AgentOrange likes this.

Vaxxed Filmmakers Support Parents Convicted of Letting Their Toddler Die of MeningitisÂ*

Vaxxed Filmmakers Support Parents Convicted of Letting Their Toddler Die of Meningitis

Earlier this year, the anti-vaccination film Vaxxed was pulled from the Tribeca Film Festival after an enormous outcry. Since then, though, the filmmakers have shown it to worshipful audiences across the country, and are styling themselves as the head of a new wave of anti-vax, pro- “natural health” sentiment. They’re now supporting a Canadian couple recently convicted of medical neglect for letting their toddler son die of meningitis.

Vaxxed was produced by Andrew Wakefield, the ex-gastroenterologist who authored the now-retracted study fraudulently linking vaccines and autism, and Del Bigtree, a TV producer who worked on the CBS show The Doctors. The film’s screenings tend to draw a rapt, adoring audience (the screening I saw in New York was packed, and Wakefield drew applause and shouts of “We love you!” when he arrived).

A schedule shows that the film began playing in Canada on June 17. At a June 20 screening in Calgary, Bigtree hosted an interview with David and Collet Stephan, who treated their 19-month-old son Ezekiel with a variety of herbal and naturopathic remedies in 2012, when he began showing symptoms of bacterial meningitis. The little boy died after two and a half weeks of illness. The Stephans were convicted in April of “failing to provide the necessaries of life” and are due to be sentenced later this week, on June 24.

The Stephan interview was first spotted by a blogger who goes by Reasonable Hank, who writes frequently and critically about the anti-vaccine movement. He uploaded a copy of the interview to YouTube; it takes place between the Stephans and Polly Tommey, an anti-vaccination activist who appears inVaxxed. Tommey has a son with autism. Tommy believes her son’s autism was caused by a reaction to the MMR vaccine.

David Stephan told Tommey said their case is becoming “a parental rights issue for medical choice, for how we need to treat our children.” He added, “And ultimately it comes down to whether we have the right to vaccinate or not vaccinate without being held reliable. Or whether or not we have to rush our children to the doctor every time they even just get the sniffles, in fear that something may just randomly happen and we’re held reliable.”

David Stephan also denied aspects of their case that have been widely reported; the media reports relied on trial testimony and interviews the couple gave to police. CBC reported that the couple gave Ezekiel “various home remedies, such as water with maple syrup, juice with frozen berries and finally a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horse radish root, hot peppers, mashed onion, garlic.” Stephan said that wasn’t true, suggesting to Tommey that Ezekiel died because the ambulance the couple finally called wasn’t properly equipped:

This isn’t the way the media has played it out to be. They’ve tried to distance us from the average person by trying to say that he [Ezekiel] was too stiff, stiff as a board, to get into his carseat, that he had to be fed somehow through an eyedropper, he was being treated for meningitis with maple syrup and various — that’s not the case at all. We were treating our child with different homeopathic remedies, different herbal remedies like tens of thousands of people do. Nothing out of the ordinary and he wasn’t severely ill. Then everything just came to a crash on an evening, he ended up in an ambulance that didn’t have the right equipment and he subsequently ended up brain-dead.

Prosecutors said the Stephans failed to seek medical help for Ezekiel until he had stopped breathing.

It’s interesting to contrast this gentle, supportive interview with how people with autism who protested Vaxxed say they were treated at another screening in Kansas City. Jennifer Raff of the science blog Violent Metaphors wrote about her experience seeing the film (she went with her husband Colin, who has written about a cruise for conspiracy theorists that I also attended).

The protesters with autism objected to the film’s portrayal of autism as a life-ending disorder that inevitably leaves children irreparably “damaged.” The protesters tried to engage Wakefield in a debate; the following day, Raff notes, the Vaxxed Facebook page put up a video mocking them, titled “Protesters stumble over responses when questioned about why they were protesting the film.” On Reddit, one protester wrote that she felt mocked and reviled by the film and its audience:

one of the protesters here - gonna be flat out, this was some of the worst fucking treatment i’ve ever received for being autistic. being straight up fucking mocked for having symptoms of autism and then those who didn’t show symptoms got spoken over

we’ve had people choose to leave because they couldn’t handle all the vitrol the loving and caring parents were throwing at us

the best line from the movie is when that representative said that “unlike other diseases, people with autism don’t drop dead, and take up taxpayer dollars”

Vaxxed has screenings scheduled in the U.S. and Canada through the end of June.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

I despise anti-vaxxers. That is all.

Gold Member

As someone who followed that case relatively closely, I will not watch their interview - they are vile, despicable humans who truly believe they did nothing wrong. All of those things ARE true re. the carseat, feeding through a dropper, etc., It all came out in court ... he died of bacterial meningitis after their parents requestied echi-fucking-nacea from a naturopath after their homeopathic remedies didn't work. They think they are being persecuted by the Canadian government for their naturopathic beliefs. Their son had never been to a doctor, ever.

They were convicted a couple of months ago, thankfully. They do have I think 4 other children and I wonder if they will be taken away from them. To me they are unfit parents since they have been convicted of failing to provide the necessities of life to one of their own children.

They're fucking evil.

David Stephan told Tommey said their case is becoming “a parental rights issue for medical choice, for how we need to treat our children.” He added, “And ultimately it comes down to whether we have the right to vaccinate or not vaccinate without being held reliable. Or whether or not we have to rush our children to the doctor every time they even just get the sniffles, in fear that something may just randomly happen and we’re held reliable.

David Stephan also denied aspects of their case that have been widely reported; the media reports relied on trial testimony and interviews the couple gave to police. CBC reported that the couple gave Ezekiel “various home remedies, such as water with maple syrup, juice with frozen berries and finally a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horse radish root, hot peppers, mashed onion, garlic.” Stephan said that wasn’t true, suggesting to Tommey that Ezekiel died because the ambulance the couple finally called wasn’t properly equipped:

This isn’t the way the media has played it out to be. They’ve tried to distance us from the average person by trying to say that he [Ezekiel] was too stiff, stiff as a board, to get into his carseat, that he had to be fed somehow through an eyedropper, he was being treated for meningitis with maple syrup and various — that’s not the case at all. We were treating our child with different homeopathic remedies, different herbal remedies like tens of thousands of people do. Nothing out of the ordinary and he wasn’t severely ill. Then everything just came to a crash on an evening, he ended up in an ambulance that didn’t have the right equipment and he subsequently ended up brain-dead.
    Prosecutors said the Stephans failed to seek medical help for Ezekiel until he had stopped breathing.
    they've got to be fucking kidding with this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Perhaps they think all ambulances should be equipped with sage brushes for burning and a bottle of patchouli oil.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

"We're held reliable". Fucking idiot.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Apparently the crown has filed an appeal to have their sentences increased. Hopefully this happens. On a related note - our IT guy lost his ten year old daughter to an extremely rare form of bacterial meningitis this week - we are all just gutted. It was literally several hours from the onset of symptoms to complete shut down. This poor family, they acted as quickly as humanly possible. I've been crying all day about this.

Oh, God, missbazilb, that's horrible. Poor family. I don't even know what to say. So sad

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    "We're held reliable". Fucking idiot.
    I think that he means "We're held liable" (for the death of our child) and if not he should.

Mizzb my condolences for your co-worker.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information