Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Is Robert De Niro an anti-vaxxer?

czb

18 is probably too late if you're gonna do gardasil. i used to be pro-gardasil but now have mixed feelings about it.
    sluce likes this.

The problem I have with this issue is that the creator of this film, and the originator of this idea that has spread wildfire, has been as thoroughly debunked as you can possibly find in the marketplace of ideas. Findings found to be falsified. License yanked. Thesis refuted by others' studies, again and again. Plus, it combines extremely an extremely vulnerable audience/victims. In my opinion, giving this guy a platform at a respectable film festival is a little like giving Bernie Madoff back his brokers license - allowed to troll for more victims and sew the seeds of more negative consequences.

ETA - very pro Gardasil - both son and daughter. Love the meningitis and shingles (for me) vaccines, too.
    sparkles likes this.

Well, DiNero was just on the Today Show to promote Tribecca, and the vaxxer movie was the main focus. He made it clear that he is not convinced that there is not a connection, but doesn't say there is either. He wants more research and does feel too many kids have signs of autism after the shots. I hope there will be a printed piece later today because I missed too much of the interview. Poor Jane, the co-leader of Tribecca struggled to get the interview back on the festival.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I saw him,too. I think he had one good point: if so many people are allergic to penicillin or blank, some of these kids could be plain allergic. There should be a quick test to see.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Well, DiNero was just on the Today Show to promote Tribecca, and the vaxxer movie was the main focus. He made it clear that he is not convinced that there is not a connection, but doesn't say there is either. He wants more research and does feel too many kids have signs of autism after the shots. I hope there will be a printed piece later today because I missed too much of the interview. Poor Jane, the co-leader of Tribecca struggled to get the interview back on the festival.
    The vaccine connection as been researched to death. Why don't the anti vaxxers throw their ample energy behind researching other connections, like genetics and parental age? Is it because there's no quick fix, if it turns out to be genetics, and no one to blame. And Bob's feelings are not scientific enough to risk herd immunity over.
    Brookie likes this.

Let's be clear - he never said he supported not vaccinating. He supports ALL research. As McJag said, he pointed out the allergy connection as a possibility. We know people with an allergy to eggs have an issue with the flu vaccine. We cannot stop looking at every possible angle.
    sputnik, Geest and panic like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    The vaccine connection as been researched to death. Why don't the anti vaxxers throw their ample energy behind researching other connections, like genetics and parental age? Is it because there's no quick fix, if it turns out to be genetics, and no one to blame. And Bob's feelings are not scientific enough to risk herd immunity over.
    Most people never actually dig deep enough to see who funded the research. More often than not, it's the drug companies themselves. Vaxxed movie is about the CDC Whistleblower investigation that they concealed and manipulated data in their 2004 MMR study.

I find it so interesting that so many people hang their hat on Wakefield when there are hundreds of researchers who have been discredited by their fraudulent work. It's easy info to find.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    Most people never actually dig deep enough to see who funded the research. More often than not, it's the drug companies themselves. Vaxxed movie is about the CDC Whistleblower investigation that they concealed and manipulated data in their 2004 MMR study.

I find it so interesting that so many people hang their hat on Wakefield when there are hundreds of researchers who have been discredited by their fraudulent work. It's easy info to find.

I've read about the CDC allegations and my take from all the information that I have read on reputable sites is distinctly different from yours.
    czb and witchcurlgirl like this.

Here's the problem, I don't think anyone that believes vaccinations cause autism or childhood cancers are ever going to believe research or a study that says they don't. Ever. No matter who funds it. I think they could get a hundred different answers, yet only believe the one they chose to believe. I think the problem with Wakefield is in the way he conducted his research. My understanding is that he could only come up with the results he came up with due to the way the study was conducted. I'm not a scientist and research, real research, is much more than googling things to get an answer. We all seem to have PhD's from the University of Google. Makes things dangerous.

This morning, Robert DeNiro brought up thimerosal, again. If thimerosal was taken out of childhood vaccinations in 2001,why is the autism rate still rising? I read some of these websites with people pointing out thimerosal, mercury, aluminum, etc. Grasping at straws looking for answers.
    At any rate, I find it sad when I look into the face of a parent looking for answers. Whatever the answer, these kids and parents deserve something.

So, are there not children with autism who were never vaccinated?
    missbazilb likes this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Here's the problem, I don't think anyone that believes vaccinations cause autism or childhood cancers are ever going to believe research or a study that says they don't. Ever. No matter who funds it. I think they could get a hundred different answers, yet only believe the one they chose to believe. I think the problem with Wakefield is in the way he conducted his research. My understanding is that he could only come up with the results he came up with due to the way the study was conducted. I'm not a scientist and research, real research, is much more than googling things to get an answer. We all seem to have PhD's from the University of Google. Makes things dangerous. ...
    worse than that - the problem with wakefield's study is that he fabricated results. much worse than study design flaws.
    Brookie and sluce like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Here's the problem, I don't think anyone that believes vaccinations cause autism or childhood cancers are ever going to believe research or a study that says they don't. Ever. No matter who funds it. I think they could get a hundred different answers, yet only believe the one they chose to believe. I think the problem with Wakefield is in the way he conducted his research. My understanding is that he could only come up with the results he came up with due to the way the study was conducted. I'm not a scientist and research, real research, is much more than googling things to get an answer. We all seem to have PhD's from the University of Google. Makes things dangerous.

This morning, Robert DeNiro brought up thimerosal, again. If thimerosal was taken out of childhood vaccinations in 2001,why is the autism rate still rising? I read some of these websites with people pointing out thimerosal, mercury, aluminum, etc. Grasping at straws looking for answers.
    At any rate, I find it sad when I look into the face of a parent looking for answers. Whatever the answer, these kids and parents deserve something.

So, are there not children with autism who were never vaccinated?
    Yes...my friend's son. She didn't have him vaccinated. He has autism. He also got rubella.

I agree with what Kris said. It doesn't matter how much research is presented, they simply won't believe it. I watched a news story about a month ago on a different topic, but one of the people in the news story was like that. She had raised an issue about the city and its neighbourhoods, and when presented with the results of an independent study, she said, "I don't care what proof you have. I don't believe any of it." She was right and there was no changing her mind.

And to to have illnesses like rubella on the rise, it's just a terrible situation.
    KrisNine and mostroop like this.

I guess the FDA lost some credibility since Dick Cheney got them to rubber stamp Aspartame.
    sluce likes this.

i think there will always be lunatic anti-vaxxers who will be immune (haha) to logic and science and facts. What I don't agree with is people who think that by censoring and pushing the anti-vaxxers into the fringe, that we'll get rid of them. All that does is fuel conspiracy theories and make people think that maybe the mainstream media and big pharma ARE hiding something. Take the discussion and put it in the media, show movies like the crappy anti-vaxxer movie and also show movies that show the other side and give people access to the information and make sure credible scientists are out there debunking all that stuff so that the people who aren't rabid anti-vaxxers but might have some reservations, are given all the info and don't end up in the fringes getting information from the loonies.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Especially poignant at 3:40 on. LOL

KrisNine and lindsaywhit like this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information