Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Is Robert De Niro an anti-vaxxer?

Beeyotch, maybe the person who was shouting that the theater was on fire just meant that it was really really popular? Let's hear him out while people are trampling each other at the exits.
    NoNoRehab likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yeah but there is a reason it's illegal to yell FIRE in a crowded theater: it puts lives at risk. Unfortunately, there are way too many impressionable people who won't use common sense and see it as unfounded BS. There is more fear than smarts in the general populace.
    Please. If the stupidity of the populace was an argument for censorship, we wouldn't be able to say anything. And seriously, how many documentaries that show at TriBeCa are given wide releases? You guys are all overstating the "danger" of this stupid movie.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well I still agree it's good to not give this a platform. It does more harm than good and I agree that it's been heard and discredited, so it's not censorship anyway.

The biggest platform we could give it is the big stink people are making over it being on the TriBeCa lineup. If it had been shown, it would have gotten less attention thank it's getting know because of the outrage. I bet other festivals and TV channels will show it now, to a bigger audience, because the outrage has had the paradoxical effect of giving it a larger audience than it ever would have had to begin with.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    then don't watch the movie, and don't engage in the debate. what you can't do is say that other people can't or that there has to be any kind of 'justification' for a discussion.
    i think anti-vaxxers are morons too but it's not up to me to decide what people talk about, what movies get made and shown at festivals. i can simply choose not to go see them. there was no need for outrage here because people who hate the movie and what it says can simply choose not to go. and while i can't stand anti-vaxxers, i fucking hate the outrage-addicted control freaks who want to decide what gets published and screened. those are the worst people.
    Please do not assume that I am for any sort of censorship. I actually have no problem with the movie being made if someone wants to waste their time and money doing so. And I don't care if people want to see it. It's their money and their time to waste. I also don't engage in any sort of debating with anti-vaxxers as to whether or not their "theory" holds water. Just as I am not going to debate whether or not the earth is flat or that the Holocaust did, in fact, happen. If someone else wishes to do that, that is their right. But to suggest that there is a legitimate need to formally hold a "discussion" about the validity of any of any of these facts is, in my opinion, completely wrong. That presupposes that there is room for interpretation of these facts and there is not.

I have never, once, suggested that anything should not be spoken about, filmed or watched. And ultimately DeNiro has the say as to what is shown in his festival. I don't really care whether or not the movie is shown. But I completely agree with the person (NoNoRehab) who said that a festival like that of the Tribeca Film Festival lends a certain cachet to the films it shows. And the decision whether or not to show a movie such as this should be made very carefully. By DeNiro.

DiNero and the committee - he does not act alone. There was pressure to remove the film, and they took action. Now there is a petition with more than 20,000 signatures who want the film shown. The anti-vaxxers will not change their minds no matter what they are told. Pro-vaxx people will not suddenly refuse to vaccinate because of this film. They may ask their doctors more questions, which is a good thing IMO, but not refuse the vax.

Here is a link to the documentaries being shown this year. https://tribecafilm.com/filmguide?film_type=Documentary

Should Abortion; Stories Women Tell, be pulled because some believe abortion is murder and causes cancer? Should A.C. Green: Iron Virgin be pulled because he promotes abstinence until marriage and his religious values?
    sputnik likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

If you agree that deNiro and the other organizers have a right to decide what plays at THEIR festival, then there is zero censorship. Trying to make it into a censorship issue shows a complete divorce from reality. Even if DeNiro and his team are lying and pulled it thanks to the reaction, not due to something they found out about the film itself, that is their right to do so. DeNiro can show a 2 hour movie of himself shitting into a can if he wants. That's the privilege he got when he bought his own theater and created his own film festival. Tribeca didn't confiscate the film or its rights, they just decided not to use THEIR money and THEIR venue to endorse the film. They deny thousands of submissions every year. Those defending Wakefield are welcome to buy their own movie theater and create their film festival if they feel so strongly about the cause and make whatever rules they want.

Wakefield can move along and take the movie to anyone who wants it. We live in the Internet age, films don't need distributors anymore. He could distribute it to everyone in the world tomorrow by uploading it to Youtube, or a million other websites, for free or purchase, just like thousands or other filmmakers. It's unlikely, though, because just as Wakefield fabricated his research originally as part of a money making scheme, he no doubt is hoping his film will get a major distributor and net him a Michael Moore type payday.

Should Abortion; Stories Women Tell, be pulled because some believe abortion is murder and causes cancer? Should A.C. Green: Iron Virgin be pulled because he promotes abstinence until marriage and his religious values?

If DeNiro and the team at the festival found something fraudulent about those films, or something that otherwise violated the rules or goals of the Festival, then YES. It is their prerogative. It's their venue, their work, their time, their money, etc. that gives people these screenings. It's the Tribeca Film Festival, not the "Everyone Gets to Screen Their Film" Marathon.
    NickiDrea likes this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

And that is exactly why I don't support censorship even if I am disgusted with what the movie is trying to suggest.
    sluce, sputnik and lindsaywhit like this.

Supposedly the film is making a claim that the CDC and some other government regulatory body deliberately lost results of a study that supported a link between vaccines and autism.

^^^
    lol so basically they're basing their arguments on "my dog ate my homework"?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    And that is exactly why I don't support censorship even if I am disgusted with what the movie is trying to suggest.
    ding ding ding!
    Thats what people like NoNoLogic, sorry, I mean rehab, don't get. They're all for this just because they don't agree with the movie, but what about when it's a pro choice documentary? Those same arguments will come back and bite you in the ass.

The abortion controversy, though, generally is generally about moral differences and doesn't turn on scientific studies. Wakefields film is pushing a view of science that runs directly in the face of studies to the contrary. I support showing this film in The science fiction/fantasy category, but not documentary.
    sparkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Please. If the stupidity of the populace was an argument for censorship, we wouldn't be able to say anything. And seriously, how many documentaries that show at TriBeCa are given wide releases? You guys are all overstating the "danger" of this stupid movie.
    This. People are stupid, and the internet is ground zero for stupidity. People can also be smart, or at least smarter than stupid. I'd rather have too much information, even disinformation, than let someone else decide for me. There's already too much of that in all our lives.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The abortion controversy, though, generally is generally about moral differences and doesn't turn on scientific studies. Wakefields film is pushing a view of science that runs directly in the face of studies to the contrary. I support showing this film in The science fiction/fantasy category, but not documentary.
    Mo - there are Drs out there who claim abortion causes cancer, and mental health issues. They rely on their own "scientific" studies. It's not just about morality.
    sputnik likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I started to write the same thing earlier but gave up. I can never express myself as well as you do.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Mo - there are Drs out there who claim abortion causes cancer, and mental health issues. They rely on their own "scientific" studies. It's not just about morality.
    Just because these doctors claim their studies are scientific doesn't mean they are remotely legitimate in terms of their processes. That's why I don't believe that any film supporting this sort of study should be considered to a documentary. Unless it falls within the "Conspiracy" subcategory and everyone viewing it is given a tinfoil hat to wear.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information