Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: RIP Ric Ocasek

fgg

Paulina Porizkova seeks part of late Cars frontman Ric Ocasek’s estate

The supermodel widow of Cars frontman Ric Ocasek says she is seeking part of his estate, despite the fact that he disinherited her claiming she “abandoned” him, new court papers reveal.

Widow Paulina Porizkova is entitled to 1/3 of the estate under New York law — unless it can be proven in court that she did indeed abandon the musician.

Ocasek, 75, was discovered dead by Porizkova in his townhouse Sept. 15. The pair called it quits in May 2018 after 28 years of marriage.

Porizkova — who hired a lawyer in the case last month — filed papers in Manhattan surrogate’s court Tuesday saying, “I, Paulina Porizkova, the surviving spouse of the Decedent, do hereby exercise the personal right of election,” and “elect to take my elective share.”

Ocasek’s estate is worth at least $5.115 million, according to court papers filed with his will.

“Usually, it’s automatic but here there is a factual question because Ocasek’s will said she abandoned him,” an un-involved Manhattan trusts and estates lawyer said, asking his name not be used. “That needs to be determined by the court or by way of settlement.

“If she did abandon him, then she may be disqualified from exercising the right of election against her husband’s will,” the lawyer said, adding “She appears to have been looking after him in the final days.”

Porizkova said in an Instagram post at the time that she and Ocasek’s sons, Jonathan and Oliver, were looking after him as he was recovering from a surgery.

“I found him still asleep when bringing him his Sunday morning coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night he had peacefully passed on,” Porizkova said.

“I doubt she’ll get nothing,” the attorney said.

Ocasek, in his will, appeared to have also cut out two of his six sons — though not the children he had with Porizkova.

Those sons, Adam and Christopher, have hired lawyer August Venturini who said he couldn’t say yet if they would fight their disinheritance.

“Right now, we are exercising my clients’ right to obtain information from the Estate. We’ll see where it leads,” Venturini said.

Porizkova’s lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment. Jasmine Campirides, a lawyer on the estate, declined to comment.

https://pagesix.com/2019/12/17/pauli...caseks-estate/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

People always talk about the worst way to die. Shark attack, falling into an industrial vat of acid. But being an embittered invalid, sh*itting on your kids and the ex who looks in on you has to be way up there.
    dexter7, Kittylady, Novice and 9 others like this.

Bronze Member

Since he was going through a divorce, his lawyers likely told him to put that in his will until the divorce was settled. She may have gotten a different amount in the divorce, although not zero.

I'm kind of on the fence. Especially with disinheriting his two older children. If they were separated, why would she be expected to take care of him anyway? I know plenty of people do, but surely he had enough money for 24/7 care. And since Paula's two kids with Ric are the only beneficiaries, is she in a roundabout way suing her own children?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

There are 6 boys total, so no. There are 4 beneficiaries, plus Paula.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^^ Ohhhh, sorry I must have misread the article. How would she get a third then? Wouldn't it be a fifth?
    robertmarilyn likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

They were legally married. She's entitled to all of it technically. So if she's asking for 1/3, the 4 boys would split the other 2/3.
    Nevan, fgg and Beeyotch like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I think she should go for it. Presumably she has some of her own money from her modeling, but they were married for 28 years and (again, presumably) the properties were owned jointly. Why should she walk away just because he died before they could properly divide their assets? The whole "abandonment" thing sounds to me like legal-speak that his lawyer told him to do just in case. Good luck with that.
    Nevan, fgg, Beeyotch and 2 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I think she should go for it. Presumably she has some of her own money from her modeling, but they were married for 28 years and (again, presumably) the properties were owned jointly. Why should she walk away just because he died before they could properly divide their assets? The whole "abandonment" thing sounds to me like legal-speak that his lawyer told him to do just in case. Good luck with that.
    NYS requires grounds for divorce, abandonment being one of them. There are several others but if the separation/divorce was not of his choosing charging her with abandonment may have been a malicious move on his part.

^ So whoever initiates the divorce/separation forfeits their rights to any marital assets? That's basically what he requested. And yeah, that seems malicious to me.
    crayzeehappee likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ So whoever initiates the divorce/separation forfeits their rights to any marital assets? That's basically what he requested. And yeah, that seems malicious to me.
    She would have needed to request financial support when he filed. Abandonment doesn’t negate her right to equitable property.

Bad Times Are Rolling, As Paulina Porizkova Feels ‘Betrayed’ After Ric Ocasek Excludes Her From Will

By Devon Ivie

The couple in 2017. Photo: Kevin Kane/Getty Images For The Rock and Ro

The eternally hip frontman of the Cars, Ric Ocasek, died at the age of 75 last year, with his body being discovered in his Manhattan home by his wife of several decades, the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova. The couple had announced in 2017 that they were separating, and began divorce proceedings in the weeks leading up to his death. Now, in her first interview since Ocasek’s passing, Porizkova opened up about the grief of unexpectedly losing “the man that I loved and that I had grown up with,” and how she’s been blindsided by her complete exclusion from Ocasek’s will. “It’s made the grieving process really, really tricky. Because I would love to just be able to be sad and miss him, and not also feel this incredible hurt of his betrayal,” she told CBS Sunday Morning. “Oh, oh yeah. I feel betrayed. I sure do.”

In addition to Porizkova, Ocasek cut out two children from an earlier marriage from his will. The couple continued to live together and maintain a very friendly relationship, Porizkova said, up until his death. She also happily accompanied Ocasek to his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2018. “Yesterday I was kind of having a nervous breakdown,” she explained, noting how she put all of her modeling earnings into the marriage. “And today I’m feeling a little bit stronger. And in a way, this is freeing me. It’s really, really scary. I didn’t necessarily want it. But this is what I got. And so, I have to learn how to use my wings now.”

“I’m never gonna get an answer,” she added about the exclusion. “And that sucks.” As noted by the New York Post, who obtained copies of Ocasek’s will, the musician updated his will weeks before his death to ensure Porizkova was written out, “because she has abandoned me.” In turn, Porizkova has filed court papers to seek part of his estate, which is valued at $5 million.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/paulina-porizkova-angry-over-the-cars-ric-ocasek-will.html

$5 Million seems so low for him. Wow. I'm sort of shocked at how low that is.

If she was actually looking in on his bizarre, super-annuated looking ass until the very end, she better get a big cut. They should also downgrade his casket to unfinished pine to help pay for the payout.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If she was actually looking in on his bizarre, super-annuated looking ass until the very end, she better get a big cut. They should also downgrade his casket to unfinished pine to help pay for the payout.
    That reminds me of something I heard about a funeral where the deceased (married man) had passed away while boning another woman. The wife bought the cheapest casket possible (cardboard), it was raining and humid, and when they tried to put it in the grave after the ceremony, the casket fell apart and they had to throw the body in and the casket pieces on top.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information